North American Tour

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's startling how much "America's pastime" has declined in popularity.

Has it really? I have wondered since moving here in 2010 as I see the draw in the other 2 of the big 3 sports, baseball is really weak in comparison, how has it fallen away? Certain demographics or geography?

Has it really? I have wondered since moving here in 2010 as I see the draw in the other 2 of the big 3 sports, baseball is really weak in comparison, how has it fallen away? Certain demographics or geography?
I just don't think that it has captivated the younger generations as it did with the baby boomers and before.

Combined with the endless scandals and steroid controversies, I just think that the game has lost its magic.

More on this story

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...21/tottenham-hotspur-tv-ratings-chicago-fire?

Comes complete with pic of Captain Daws leading our American crusade :dawsonlol:

Well done to Cartilage Free Captain (obviously a ref to :king: for picking up on this story.

It's worth noting of course, that many other people Stateside would have watched the game via streams, and of course globally. Add in the BT and other TV audiences, and even a low level game like this probably drew a million spectators plus worldwide.
The awesome power of soccer!

Hey, what's up Spurs freaks. I figured this would be a good thread to post this in and excuse it being a little wordy.

I'm from Columbus, Ohio, USA and I watched all 3 NA spurs games games on tv, and quite enjoyed it. I understand it isn't the first team, blah blah blah, practice, etc., but it was my first real time to see them on at a decent hour and consistently. I've always liked soccer (I'll call it football on here) and I've always watched the US national team play the odd game or tournament if they're on tv, and the MLS is ok, but European football has never been available consistently to Americans. You hear about the Messis and Ronaldos of the world but you don't truly know much about them, much less see them play every week. I'm 29, and have known about the "Manchester Uniteds" and "Real Madrids" of the world most of my life, but it's not like you could do much in the way of seeing them, especially prior to the internet exploding. So, given all this blabber, and I'm trying not to write a novel, things are changing here. A couple of networks like espn, nbcsports, and foxsports, have picked up the Premiere League/Champs League/Europa League, and BeIn Sports plays alot of la liga and whatnot (recently got that free on the cable provider). Now, for the first half of this year, I watched PL matches on sat and sun morning, CL matches and the like on the weekday evenings, and it was really cool. I've always liked European football and wanted to attend a match one day because I love the enthusiasm the fans have. So, since I really couldn't, and couldn't ever see anything on tv, I just kept with the national team as my occasional soccer fix a few times a year. But, now I'm hooked!!!

I set out to adopt a team around March or so, and I was like ok I'll follow the EPL. So I tried to educate myself on the core terminology, the teams, the levels, transfers, promotion and relegation (WTF!), and all that jazz. But, I was also learning about the various cups, euro leagues and cups, and my head was exploding for a couple months. I checked the list of teams and thought Man U, Man City, Chelsea, or Woolwich would be frontrunning because I've heard of those places, Liverpool as well. And then I saw "Tottenham Hotspur". I was like what the fuck is this? A rooster? Looked up where Hotspur came from, saw the rivalries, particularly Woolwich, and team history, and said alright, I'll root for these guys. Sadly, a few months later I'm now addicted. I'm checking transfer reports by the hour, watching old youtube videos of the club and fans, and hate Woolwich for some odd reason. No, seriously I wouldnt see them if they came and played the Columbus Crew. Actually, I would but only to cheer for the Crew. Anyways, I don't want to ramble on anymore. I'll just say soccer is finally taking hold in America this time....this time it's real. With the combo of tv and our national team playing well, and some of our best players spending time in Europe, it's happening. COYS!!

While FS1 is trying, they aren't close to ESPN in terms of relevancy. I don't think too many care to watch some random baseball game. They were probably more worried about their own team (like me).

A little surprising though, especially that we beat Woolwich. Saturday night while "primetime" still isn't very good for ratings since a lot of people are out.

Spot on! You really can't compare the two, first as you said most people watch their local team and their local broadcast. Nationally televised baseball games aren't that important anymore because MLB offers an online package where you can watch any game. Secondly, baseball plays 162 games and you can't compare it to a one off soccer/football match.

There's alot of factors to take into account. There's 162 baseball games per team/year, not many people watch national baseball games, not many people have/watch foxsp1, etc. Baseball is more geographical. For example, if I like the KC Royals, I likely dont give a shit about any team outside their division(5 teams), so you can eliminate me caring about 25+ teams because they don't affect my team's playoff chances. Baseball is also more a game you watch in person and enjoy the atmosphere and experience with friends/family. It's difficult to watch a 3+ hour game on tv of teams you don't really care about and have no consequence to yours. Baseball is definitely still up there, but not everyone is going to watch unless it's World Series time.

Thanks again for all the updates, and great to see new recruits to the 'Spurs Army'.

'Go Tottenham' as I believe you might say Stateside :coys:
I did watch a baseball game once when I was in Toronto. It fascinated me, but I didn't understand most of it. RBIs, flys, how the runs are scored, except the obvious home runs.

But wasn't at all tempted to start supporting a baseball team.

Hey, what's up Spurs freaks. I figured this would be a good thread to post this in and excuse it being a little wordy.

I'm from Columbus, Ohio, USA and I watched all 3 NA spurs games games on tv, and quite enjoyed it. I understand it isn't the first team, blah blah blah, practice, etc., but it was my first real time to see them on at a decent hour and consistently. I've always liked soccer (I'll call it football on here) and I've always watched the US national team play the odd game or tournament if they're on tv, and the MLS is ok, but European football has never been available consistently to Americans. You hear about the Messis and Ronaldos of the world but you don't truly know much about them, much less see them play every week. I'm 29, and have known about the "Manchester Uniteds" and "Real Madrids" of the world most of my life, but it's not like you could do much in the way of seeing them, especially prior to the internet exploding. So, given all this blabber, and I'm trying not to write a novel, things are changing here. A couple of networks like espn, nbcsports, and foxsports, have picked up the Premiere League/Champs League/Europa League, and BeIn Sports plays alot of la liga and whatnot (recently got that free on the cable provider). Now, for the first half of this year, I watched PL matches on sat and sun morning, CL matches and the like on the weekday evenings, and it was really cool. I've always liked European football and wanted to attend a match one day because I love the enthusiasm the fans have. So, since I really couldn't, and couldn't ever see anything on tv, I just kept with the national team as my occasional soccer fix a few times a year. But, now I'm hooked!!!

I set out to adopt a team around March or so, and I was like ok I'll follow the EPL. So I tried to educate myself on the core terminology, the teams, the levels, transfers, promotion and relegation (WTF!), and all that jazz. But, I was also learning about the various cups, euro leagues and cups, and my head was exploding for a couple months. I checked the list of teams and thought Man U, Man City, Chelsea, or Woolwich would be frontrunning because I've heard of those places, Liverpool as well. And then I saw "Tottenham Hotspur". I was like what the fuck is this? A rooster? Looked up where Hotspur came from, saw the rivalries, particularly Woolwich, and team history, and said alright, I'll root for these guys. Sadly, a few months later I'm now addicted. I'm checking transfer reports by the hour, watching old youtube videos of the club and fans, and hate Woolwich for some odd reason. No, seriously I wouldnt see them if they came and played the Columbus Crew. Actually, I would but only to cheer for the Crew. Anyways, I don't want to ramble on anymore. I'll just say soccer is finally taking hold in America this time....this time it's real. With the combo of tv and our national team playing well, and some of our best players spending time in Europe, it's happening. COYS!!

You chose wisely. Decent number of Americans on this board and as you saw on TV a pretty big number in the States in general. I'm sure that there's a group of yids in Columbus that you could watch games with. You're down the road to a lifelong obsession, congratulations!

Thanks again for all the updates, and great to see new recruits to the 'Spurs Army'.

'Go Tottenham' as I believe you might say Stateside :coys:
I did watch a baseball game once when I was in Toronto. It fascinated me, but I didn't understand most of it. RBIs, flys, how the runs are scored, except the obvious home runs.

But wasn't at all tempted to start supporting a baseball team.

I sometimes forget that baseball is actually confusing.

Not to turn this into a discussion about baseball, but there's a lot of data supporting the decline in popularity of baseball.

Although this is from 2013, it's still relevant information.
http://www.sbnation.com/2013/7/2/4484824/why-do-baseball-ratings-continue-to-trend-downward

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_television_ratings

Me personally, I think this will only get worse. Many people are not letting their kids play football (American) now because of concerns regarding injuries and concussions, and when it comes to youth sports, soccer is by far the most popular and most widely played. This combined with increasing coverage and accessibility of the sport will only help to create more attention and favorability to the game as these kids get bigger.

I sometimes forget that baseball is actually confusing.
It doesn't seem confusing until you try to explain it to someone. I would also add that American Football is actually highly confusing as well, mostly due to the inordinate amount of rules involved in the game. When you really think about it, the amount of rules for the game is pretty staggering.

Me personally, I think this will only get worse. Many people are not letting their kids play football (American) now because of concerns regarding injuries and concussions, and when it comes to youth sports, soccer is by far the most popular and most widely played. This combined with increasing coverage and accessibility of the sport will only help to create more attention and favorability to the game as these kids get bigger.

Not to mention the fact that a lot of the people that I know that watch soccer are around the age where they're going to start having kids. There's a huge difference between someone that's been raised watching the game vs someone that has adopted the sport. A generation of kids that don't know any better will be extremely good for the sport.

I remember when I was old enough they introduced offsides, it confused the hell out of the parents. I only knew about it from playing FIFA. lol

That rule seems so simple than some of the stuff in baseball or football when I explain it to a foreigner. Something like the double switch or illegal formation... don't get me started.

Baseball has changed drastically from its roots. The game in its original form was a battle of wit with quite a bit of strategy at hand, now it's entirely about power and getting it over the fence. The owners think it's the best way to bring the youth back, but it's my opinion they're causing the exact opposite. It's become extremely boring and repetitive, and a sad shell of the great idea it originally was.

When was the last time anyone saw a live successful "pickle?" For me, it's been years. I think at least a decade at this point.

Now that's a proper Spurs newbie! Come here and lurk around a bit...listen to the podcast....you will learn loads. You're in for a real ride. so buckle in and enjoy every bit of it. And if you ever find yourself in Nashville, let me know. You're welcome to join Nashville spurs anytime.

Welcome, buddy! :adesalute:

Back
Top Bottom