New goalkeeper

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wouldn't worry about his short passing game too much. He will have two ball playing centre halfs infront if him if Postecoglu carries on his usual template

FyW6zUlWcAAJtGw

So he can't pass out from the back? Isn't that the whole point of replacing Lloris?

Thing is, we aren’t in the market for the perfect keeper that can do everything now.

Man UTD and Chelsea will be shopping in that market.

We need to find a guy that does enough things well and then look to improve him.

Raya fits that pretty well. Really good distribution long, great shot stopper, great at commanding his box and the high balls. Decent sweeper keeper.
That stuff more than makes up for his current issues with the short passing game.

That's horseshit. His aerial ability is a weakness. You only have to watch our away game against Brentford on Boxing day to see that.

He was terrible at crosses.

The clip they show on that video about aerial ability proves it. He just flaps it out into the middle of the box and Mee has to make a world class goal line clearance.

His short passing isn't that bad either.

Depending on who we get as CBs, we may have a weakness defending aerial long balls. It's been a problem for a while but I don't see it being solved with Raya.

Apart from that he's not a bad player.

I think an important attribute to look at with the way Postecoglou plays is the ability for the GK to play as sweeper keeper. A high defensive line means the GK needs to be out quickly and efficiently deal with balls over the top.

Last edited:
Doesn’t seem a Postecoglou type keeper if his short passing is poor

We are not signing players for Ange. The likes of Raya, Maddison, Maguire have been followed by the club for years. These are opportunistic potential signings, one year left on their contracts or as in Maguire case out of favour and available. Looking for good deals is not a bad thing but if they don't suit the managers tactics then there is no point buying them.

That's horseshit. His aerial ability is a weakness. You only have to watch our away game against Brentford on Boxing day to see that.

The clip they show on that video about aerial ability proves it. He just flaps it out into the middle of the box and Mee has to make a world class goal line clearance.

Depending on who we get as CBs, we may have a weakness defending aerial long balls. It's been a problem for a while but I don't see it being solved with Raya.

I think an important attribute to look at with the way Postecoglou plays is the ability for the GK to play as sweeper keeper. A high defensive line means the GK needs to be out quickly and efficiently deal with balls over the top.
Statistically he’s very good on aerials .

Could be the eye test shows something different.

Do agree with Romero and Raya, we’d want a dominant beast at LCB. Someone to head everything out and have pace to recover behind the high press

Correcr, but our scouts limit themselves to last year of contract" signings.

Its enough to make you give up on football

I'd be happy with Raya, has definitely been one of the most consistent goalkeepers in the League recently. I do agree that £40m is probs too much, but I'm sure the club will be able to negotiate a better price.

Maddison would be brilliant. Proven Premier League player, great age. Would be a top signing. Hopefully we will be able to get over the line.

I don’t think it is in today’s market. I rate him up there with the best keepers in the league. Liverpool paid 66m for Allison .
I’d love him in a spurs shirt.

He's got one year left on his contract which is probably why £40m is being seen as very high (rightly in my opinion).

Should still get him though

Back
Top Bottom