New goalkeeper

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We could get him for £30 million but levy will start at £15 million or something stupid and piss them off

It has every hallmark of a Levy transfer saga.

Best bet is that we start the season with Forster and are still negotiating this until deadline day. Just the nature of the animal we have as a Chairman. tbh Forster is solid enough to afford us that.

I'd be happy with Raya.. watch plenty of Brentford and have been impressed with him most weeks, except for one game where he had a short pass intercepted and the opposition scored. Tbh, going on eye test I think he looks very capable technically of playing the ball short and controlling it well, his short% and the few chances he's coughed up can be linked to how Brentford are set up, how the intend to play. His long passing from ground and hand are a genuine asset to any team. Always seemed to be a robust keeper, not big but physically quite strong and does plenty during a game to relieve pressure on his team, and rarely gives away silly goals. Brentford fans think the world of him, consider him top 3/4 gk in the league. Only few I'd have undisputably ahead of him are Maignan and Onana.. Costa is a crazy price, and looks talented, but also had an incredibly messy world cup.. and Raya has the hg thing going for him. Get him in for 30m or a shade more and I think its a good move for us.

We could get him for £30 million but levy will start at £15 million or something stupid and piss them off

Or we get them down to £30m, and then, last minute, Levy decided to try and knock it down by another million, resulting in Brentford being pissed off and selling him elsewhere, coz Levy just can't help himself, the fucking tiny bald bastard.

We are not signing players for Ange. The likes of Raya, Maddison, Maguire have been followed by the club for years. These are opportunistic potential signings, one year left on their contracts or as in Maguire case out of favour and available. Looking for good deals is not a bad thing but if they don't suit the managers tactics then there is no point buying them.
You are exactly right.

The club still operate the same way it did 15 years ago, the problem is the increased tactical sophistication means player profiles and how they knit together within the framework of a squad/system means that these opportunistic signings are nowhere near the advantage they used to be.

Holistically the club should be operating on a squad cycle timeline, be it A) Rebuilding, B) Talent, Quality upgrades, C) Covering gaps in an established squad.

Classic examples of transfer category A) Aaron Lennon, Kyle Walker, Danny Rose,

B) would be Alderweireld, Son, Wanyama

C) Pienaar , Llorente, Lucas

Obviously there will be variations within this and B signings can coincide with A & C. you adjust as you go along.

For every profile you should have a 3-4 player shortlist. Don’t deviate from the profile otherwise it ruins the system.

There should also be a contingency plan for every player already with us. The plan to replace them should always be there in case they want to leave.

Sadly this seems completely beyond the club management right now

You are exactly right.

The club still operate the same way it did 15 years ago, the problem is the increased tactical sophistication means player profiles and how they knit together within the framework of a squad/system means that these opportunistic signings are nowhere near the advantage they used to be.

Holistically the club should be operating on a squad cycle timeline, be it A) Rebuilding, B) Talent, Quality upgrades, C) Covering gaps in an established squad.

Classic examples of transfer category A) Aaron Lennon, Kyle Walker, Danny Rose,

B) would be Alderweireld, Son, Wanyama

C) Pienaar , Llorente, Lucas

Obviously there will be variations within this and B signings can coincide with A & C. you adjust as you go along.

For every profile you should have a 3-4 player shortlist. Don’t deviate from the profile otherwise it ruins the system.

There should also be a contingency plan for every player already with us. The plan to replace them should always be there in case they want to leave.

Sadly this seems completely beyond the club management right now
A) Sarr, Spence , Gill

B) Romero, Bentacur, Porro

C) Richarlison, Perisic, Forster.

I'd be happy with Raya.. watch plenty of Brentford and have been impressed with him most weeks, except for one game where he had a short pass intercepted and the opposition scored. Tbh, going on eye test I think he looks very capable technically of playing the ball short and controlling it well, his short% and the few chances he's coughed up can be linked to how Brentford are set up, how the intend to play. His long passing from ground and hand are a genuine asset to any team. Always seemed to be a robust keeper, not big but physically quite strong and does plenty during a game to relieve pressure on his team, and rarely gives away silly goals. Brentford fans think the world of him, consider him top 3/4 gk in the league. Only few I'd have undisputably ahead of him are Maignan and Onana.. Costa is a crazy price, and looks talented, but also had an incredibly messy world cup.. and Raya has the hg thing going for him. Get him in for 30m or a shade more and I think its a good move for us.

Ally Gold said on his latest video that Ange doesn't like keepers to go long.

Think he might change his mind if he sees Raya ping one over the top to Son and we score.

Back
Top Bottom