Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Bentaleb and Mason would work really well as part of a midfield 3 with a more defensive midfielder behind them.

Yep. Send your mind bullets into Poch's brain. He must do this.

If that does not happen, I do think Bentaleb can be a great DM for us. The big contract seems to have gone to his head. I see he is trying a lot of no look passes, instant give and go's and the top top TOP drawer players that do that didn't do it overnight. He's trying to run before he can walk. It's great he's trying to better himself but his real talent is athleticism and drive. The eyes in the back of your head comes with years of playing in the middle.

I don't think Bentaleb is a great defensive midfielder in the making.

Despite the chest banging he wins few tackles, his defensive positioning is poor and he doesn't track runners well.

We need a DMC for the first XI. Two, if Vejlkovic isn't rated either

Bentaleb is no more a defender than Mason. Look again at him strolling about doing nothing in the build up to the Stoke equaliser

Mason had ice on his ankle. He injured himself blocking what looked like a nailed on chance for them to score. He was slower after that. He also didn't have a preseason bar half a game.

If anything it proves how important Kane and Mason is for us since both were crocked and shortly after we capitulated.

Anyway, in that vid it was Eriksen who was ball watching/jogging. Masons one player turned into two because Eriksen was doing his usual wet paper bag.

It's Poch fault. Why you would have have Eriksen anywhere NEAR the boiler room still fucking astounds me. It's like putting Ginola in the midfield. He's not built for it mentally. It's a free role or nothing for Eriksen. I feel bad for him and Lamela because Poch seems to think they can win battles in the midfield in the prem. It's a mental block Poch can't seem to see past.

Poch: Not all players are like you bro. You can't mold them all in your image.

Last edited:
I don't think Bentaleb is a great defensive midfielder in the making.

Despite the chest banging he wins few tackles, his defensive positioning is poor and he doesn't track runners well.

We need a DMC for the first XI. Two, if Vejlkovic isn't rated either

I do think we need a proper DM. Not because Bentaleb can't do it, but I think he will be better used in the final third.

Vs United, while Bentaleb was on the pitch they didn't have a single shot at goal. It was his passing that fucked us on that occasion, not his generalship.

I still have faith in Bentaleb as a DM if thats what Poch wants. IMO he is a fantastic midfielder having a horrible run. Too many players get written off early IMO.

I do think we need a proper DM. Not because Bentaleb can't do it, but I think he will be better used in the final third.

Vs United, while Bentaleb was on the pitch they didn't have a single shot at goal. It was his passing that fucked us on that occasion, not his generalship.

I still have faith in Bentaleb as a DM if thats what Poch wants. IMO he is a fantastic midfielder having a horrible run. Too many players get written off early IMO.
Agree on the written off early part, disagree about Bentaleb being able to play as a DM. Not only would he be wasted there, he seems to lack the mindset to be able to perform at that position. He wants more out of his game and with his skillset that makes sense.

Bentaleb ain't a DM but nor was Capoue really, he couldn't track runners properly and Stambouli was just as slow.

Last time we had a proper DM was when Sandro was at his best and the last top class out and out all action DM we had was Parker, its a position we haven't filled for ages.

In theory Dier has the attributes closest to this which I guess is why Poch has thrown him there. Good work rate, defensive mindset, aggressive but he lacks the experience right now and we can't wait two years for him to become our Schneiderlin.

Agree on the written off early part, disagree about Bentaleb being able to play as a DM. Not only would he be wasted there, he seems to lack the mindset to be able to perform at that position. He wants more out of his game and with his skillset that makes sense.

We can agree to disagree on this one. I think his combative mindset is about as good as it gets for a player of his age.

But regarding he wants more out of his game than his skill set: That is what I noticed. He's trying too hard for top draw no look passing and his give and go's have too much mustard on them. He's trying though. If he keeps trying to up his game on the training pitch I'm all for that, but it has to be second nature when you play in the prem. You can't practice on that pitch. And if you try that no look, give them the eyes stuff...make sure it's in the final third with players behind you.

Thats what I liked about VDV. He knew when to do that risky shit. BAE and Chiriches didn't. He'd be nutmegging people in his own box.

We can agree to disagree on this one. I think his combative mindset is about as good as it gets for a player of his age.

But regarding he wants more out of his game than his skill set: They is what I noticed. He's trying too hard for top draw no look passing and his give and go's have too much mustard on them. He's trying though. If he keeps trying to up his game on the training pitch I'm all for that, but it has to be second nature when you play in the prem. You can't practice on that pitch. And if you try that no look, give them the eyes stuff...make sure it's in the final third with players behind you.

Thats what I liked about VDV. He knew when to do that risky shit. BAE and Chiriches didn't. He'd be nutmegging people in his own box.
NO fuck you , i want a debate and be able to call you all kinds of bad things dammit.

Agree with your post though :) Main reason why Lamela irks me so is exactly that, always tries to play like he's the second coming of CR7.

Bentaleb ain't a DM but nor was Capoue really, he couldn't track runners properly and Stambouli was just as slow.

Last time we had a proper DM was when Sandro was at his best and the last top class out and out all action DM we had was Parker, its a position we haven't filled for ages.

In theory Dier has the attributes closest to this which I guess is why Poch has thrown him there. Good work rate, defensive mindset, aggressive but he lacks the experience right now and we can't wait two years for him to become our Schneiderlin.

Yerp. Bentleb, Mason, and Paulinho all got "Dembele'd". Since they had an all round game they were used as DM's.

IMO long term you can only have Dier as a DM if you have blistering pace around him. Lamela, Dembele, Dier, Eriksen = the second half. It's a gestalt nightmare.

Great individual players fucked by compounding each others weaknesses (lack of pace or literal weakness).

I honestly think Dier could end up being one of, if not the, best players at the club in a few years. It's incredible when you think that wherever Poch throws him, he performs. Yes he has hiccups here or there -- but, considering his age, he'd have those at CB too. On top of it, he doesn't complain either. He's an example of how our transfer policy does sometimes work out for the best.

I honestly think Dier could end up being one of, if not the, best players at the club in a few years. It's incredible when you think that wherever Poch throws him, he performs. Yes he has hiccups here or there -- but, considering his age, he'd have those at CB too. On top of it, he doesn't complain either. He's an example of how our transfer policy does sometimes work out for the best.

Is agree I really like Dier, thought he was our best defender after Rose last season (Verts and Walker were average at best) and has done reasonably well in the middle of the park. I would just prefer he learnt his trade not on the seat of his pants.

A proper experienced DM with Dier as backup is fine by me and Dier can learn from him. That is of course if we are chasing top 4. It hard to get a top DM and Schneiderlin was one of them, I really hope we get Bender or Illaramadi.

Definitely prefer Dier in the middle right now as Bentaleb-Mason is a bit lightweight. Already prefer Dier to Capoue and Stambouli on the count Dier can actually run.

Yerp. Bentleb, Mason, and Paulinho all got "Dembele'd". Since they had an all round game they were used as DM's.

IMO long term you can only have Dier as a DM if you have blistering pace around him. Lamela, Dembele, Dier, Eriksen = the second half. It's a gestalt nightmare.

Great individual players fucked by compounding each others weaknesses (lack of pace or literal weakness).

We don't have balance that is clear, it's why Clinton and hopefully Berahino should improve things. Against United our lack of pace meant we missed so many opportunities.

Dier is quick and strong but lacks positional experience which he will pick up over time, When I say quick I mean in the 100 metre sprint sense not the little guy acceleration sense but as he is not an attacker that should be ok.

We don't have balance that is clear, it's why Clinton and hopefully Berahino should improve things. Against United our lack of pace meant we missed so many opportunities.

Dier is quick and strong but lacks positional experience which he will pick up over time, When I say quick I mean in the 100 metre sprint sense not the little guy acceleration sense but as he is not an attacker that should be ok.

Yep we are crying out for pace. We also need pace in the shape of a DM. Speaking of balance, we also need a leader. If we can get a quick DM with leadership qualities as well as pace in the final third, we will be a force.

Poch sees something in him (so do I as I had him in my initial 11 lineup to start the season). He makes sure he's in the team one way or another.

I'm hoping chopping and changing his position does not dilute his progress. Scoring from corners is something very un Spurslike. If we can start adding that to the plus column, we will be taken more seriously.

one of stambouli or capoue would have tactically fouled ireland not stand around like bafoons like dier and bentaleb

Lol

Imagine Poch decides to completely abandon the system he's worked on his whole career. Disregards his philosophy inspired by his mentor Bielsa.

He gives up the high press because he doesn't want to give "water carrying" duties to attackers. Never mind that Xavi/Iniesta press fine- oh no it will knacker out and waste our attacking players.
Imagine he gives up on a fluid attacking trio behind the CF in order to play fullbacks on the wings to "shore up the sides".
I wonder if seeing Dembele put Schneiderlin on his arse made Poch want to run up to Moose, and do this
irvin3.gif

thus convincing him we need barbaric ruthless ferocious morbid steel all over the pitch with a max of one technical player who has a free role.

It's not happening gibbs131 , I don't know why you spend so much time and energy fantasising about it.

Your time would best be better spent campaigning for Poch to be sacked and replaced by an NFL or rugby coach.

Back
Top Bottom