Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The incredibly stupid pot shots a la Andros need to go. It's shit like that which makes me say this team doesn't have an identity yet. Some players like Lamela and Eriksen try to play the smooth passing Spanish style of play, then we have guys like Bentaleb and Townsend that take on players then take shots 30 yards out. Poch needs to mold the guys into having one fluid Spurs style.
Fuck me, you need to go and watch some games. Lamela was hugely wasteful at SB - and has been in many games recently - whereas Bentaleb gave a pretty mature performance yesterday. Lamely and Eriksen are both prone to panic, over elaborate or try something too flash. They're still young and developing in this team so I don't see any of that as a disaster. But saying that they try and play a smooth Spanish passing style vs e.g. Bentaleb sounds like a bloody Talksport opinion.

Thought Bentalab has looked classy in the last 2 games.
Strong, composed with decent tekkers - just need to give him game time and watch him develop. Can see him becoming an Alonso type player.

Fuck me, you need to go and watch some games. Lamela was hugely wasteful at SB - and has been in many games recently - whereas Bentaleb gave a pretty mature performance yesterday. Lamely and Eriksen are both prone to panic, over elaborate or try something too flash. They're still young and developing in this team so I don't see any of that as a disaster. But saying that they try and play a smooth Spanish passing style vs e.g. Bentaleb sounds like a bloody Talksport opinion.
Beat me to it, was going to say the exact same thing. Lamela being the more ridiculous one since there's absolutely no way his game is anywhere near the fluid Spanish style yet. If anything he's the one of the furthest from it from our attacking players.

The incredibly stupid pot shots a la Andros need to go. It's shit like that which makes me say this team doesn't have an identity yet. Some players like Lamela and Eriksen try to play the smooth passing Spanish style of play, then we have guys like Bentaleb and Townsend that take on players then take shots 30 yards out. Poch needs to mold the guys into having one fluid Spurs style.
to try and say lamela has a smooth passing style of play compared to bentaleb is frightening

to try and say lamela has a smooth passing style of play compared to bentaleb is frightening

I'd also say that Bentaleb doesn't shoot enough. Seen some training videos of Bentaleb and he seems to be a more skillful and effective shooter (if that's the right word) than he comes across in matches. Should that be the case, Andros needs to be tee-ing them up for Bentaleb.

Then bobby/kane can sweep up the rebounds :soldadolol:

Recency bias reigning supreme in this thread. Bentaleb almost never shoots. He took a couple of long shots against a team whose defense is rock solid. If we were to win it would have needed one or two moments of wonder. If it keeps happening, then we'll talk about it. Until then calm the fuck down. Comparing him to Townsend in terms of shooting is a goddamn joke.

After watching Dembele midweek he could be another option for the rotation while Nabil is away... Hopefully Moussa can grow into his form, there is a talented player there somewhere

Dembele has insane talent never seen a guy who can hold on to the ball like he can but it's his brain the way he never makes the right decision in terms of passing and the like. I agree their is a talented player, that's why this guy is frustrating.

Tbh I thought Nabil was disappointing Sunday. He spent most of the game running about watching the game go by him. He never imposed himself in the middle and looked a bit off the pace. He didn't do much wrong with the ball, just neat backwards or sideways short passing, ticking it over.
Before I get slated, I rate Nabil. However, he did not do too well Sunday.

Dembele has insane talent never seen a guy who can hold on to the ball like he can but it's his brain the way he never makes the right decision in terms of passing and the like. I agree their is a talented player, that's why this guy is frustrating.

Dembele is good at dribbling and holding on to the ball and that's about it. He's 28 in the summer, too old to ever really mature or grow out of the player he's become.

Always has/had great potential, but seems a bit thick and unmotivated.

Bentaleb’s ending 2014 on a high - and he feels sky’s the limit for Spurs
22:35 18 December 2014

By Ben Pearce, Tottenham correspondent

Nabil Bentaleb (right) celebrates his first goal for Tottenham in Wednesday's 4-0 victory over Newcastle in the Capital One Cup quarter-final. Pic: Nick Potts/PA Wire

Nabil Bentaleb achieved another landmark at Tottenham this week, scoring his first goal for the club a year after his debut - and the Algeria international believes Spurs can finish in the top four this season.

Nabil Bentaleb scored his first Tottenham goal on Wednesday to help fire Spurs into the Capital One Cup semi-finals – and then realised he is set to miss the ties with Sheffield United.

The Algeria international is due to head to the Africa Cup of Nations in the new year, with his country’s three group games taking place between January 19 and 27, while Spurs face the Blades over two legs in the weeks commencing January 19 and 26.

Bentaleb’s face fell as he realised the clash in his diary, and he said: “It’s a really bad thing to miss but it’s my country and I made the choice to play for them and I have to assume it now.”

When the initial disappointment has gone, the midfielder might reflect that it is a nice problem for a 20-year-old to have.

After all, this time last year he had not even made his debut for Spurs’ first team. That breakthrough came on December 22 under Tim Sherwood and, since then, he has established himself as a regular for Tottenham, gone to the World Cup and, most recently, scored the opening goal in a cup quarter-final.

“I’ve developed over the last year, I’ve grown as a player,” he said. “I know I still have a lot to learn but I’m listening to all the advice I get from everywhere. I have a lot of people around me that want the best for me and I’m really lucky with that.

“I work hard in training to be in the team and the manager [Mauricio Pochettino] trusts me. He tells me to have control of the game, to dictate the pace in the midfield. I take his advice. I still have to improve a lot. I’m like a child, I want to learn and I have to keep on working really hard.

“I owe Tim Sherwood a lot. He was the first one to trust me and put me in. Most of the credit I have is for him and I will be forever grateful to him.

“I have found my position at Tottenham but you are never safe. It’s football, you can get injured. I got injured and I came back into the team, and you have to fight again. Maybe next week I won’t be in the team, and I have to fight again. This is football, you always have to fight and even the biggest players, you can see them on the bench sometimes.”

Bentaleb’s first goal for Spurs came from a goalkeeping howler as Newcastle’s third-choice custodian Jak Alnwick dropped the ball in the six-yard box.

Nonetheless, it was a landmark moment for the youngster and, with Spurs going on to win 4-0 and reach the Capital One Cup semi-finals, it felt like a big moment for Pochettino’s team too.

“We had a great game against Everton and we had a little bit of a down against Crystal Palace, and now we’ve bounced back up and we have to keep on going that way,” said Bentaleb.

“The training was really hard [at the start of the season] but you can see we’re developing as a good team now. We can see what we can do. Sometimes we have little downs but we bounce back up and we show great character and great discipline in some games. It’s a positive point for us.

“We don’t know how far [we can go] because we always want to improve and the manager always wants more from us, so we don’t know what our limit is. That’s the good thing about this team. We know we can be better but we don’t know the limit.”

So is the top four still a realistic goal? “I think it is,” said Bentaleb. “When you look at it, we are in December, and we are still in the game. We are not far from it. It will all be played in the second part of the season.”

That will make it even more of a wrench for Bentaleb to leave Spurs and head off to Equatorial Guinea in January. But he is proud to play for Algeria - where his parents were born – after rejecting France, where he was born himself.

“When people ask me why I chose Algeria over France, I say when I was younger and France lost, I was not crying in front of my TV - whereas when Algeria lost, I was crying and I was getting angry,” said the midfielder. “That’s the reason why I chose Algeria, because my heart always wanted Algeria.”

That decision took Bentaleb to the World Cup in the summer, and he said: “It’s the biggest competition you can play in. I had the chance to play a few games and it was an amazing experience and I have to take that forward - and I think that’s why I did really well. I had more experience from that, and I’ve grown from that competition.”

There is plenty of growth ahead for Bentaleb. And, having broken his duck for the Lilywhites this week, will he be chipping in with goals more regularly in the new year?

“I hope I won’t have to wait another year to score another one!” he said.

Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs

So if bentaleb is going to be out, who comes in as a ball playing CM/DM? We have a few i guess but i would say capoue might be given another chance or stambouli. Nevertheless if we were to win the tie all but in the first leg, could we bring in someone like onomah for the second? Even for maybe the last quarter of the match. Its a real shame that he's going actually.

Not his best game today. I would still like to see him further forward. I still feel his best performance for us isa bit further forward, like his performance against Newcastle last season, here it is.

Back
Top Bottom