Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think the problem at Spurs is Benty. The problem at Spurs are wingers/wingbacks like Rose, Lennon and Towny.

How can Lennon and Andros...wingers in a potential top 4 team have 1 assist TOTAL between them at this time in the season? And 1 goal EACH? And on the flip side makes us soft as shite down the flanks?

THAT is the problem with this team. Tiny dancers. Not Bentleb who generally bosses his area of the pitch and gives his opposite number a real challenge.

I don't think the problem at Spurs is Benty. The problem at Spurs are wingers/wingbacks like Rose, Lennon and Towny.

How can Lennon and Andros...wingers in a potential top 4 team have 1 assist TOTAL between them at this time in the season? And 1 goal EACH? And on the flip side makes us soft as shite down the flanks?

THAT is the problem with this team. Tiny dancers. Not Bentleb who generally bosses his area of the pitch and gives his opposite number a real challenge.

Thats a very good point, hence why we bought new wingers, Chadli and Lamela..
Chadli looks like he is improving on somewhat of a weak start, and we all know the Lamela story..

So maybe there will be some improvements to the wingers in the future, Chadli getting better and Lamela coming from injury.

Bentaleb deserves to be given his chance but it's gone too far now.. He's had more game time than Eriksen, and Soldado.
Not sure what Tim's trying to prove but it's back fired on him.

Why do you have to drop Eriksen? It's Lennon and Towny that are underperforming. At least you know Benty is on the pitch compared to the wingers.

And with Rose being an absolute disaster defensively I think it's time to end the English winger/wingback fantasy AVB and Timtim seem to worship which leads to no goals, assists and leaves us soft as shite down the flanks.

Lets face it: 1 goal each and 1 assists between Lennon and Towny in the prem? To me its them that should make way for the Benty's and the Eriksens. Rose is so dire in defence we should go with a back 3. Everyone is fapping about VG coming to manage us..He often played 3-3-3-1

--------------Ade--------------
-Eriksen--Lamela---Dembo-
-Benty----Capoue----Beast-
-Verton---Kaboul----Walker-

This shape will get the best out of Pauly who can fill in most of the midfield areas, Churchy who can be a great DM, Dembo has done nothing but good things in the short time he has been on the right as an AM.
I would take that over Rose stepping on balls, out of position, Towny taking 50 shots and one cross going in, Lennon and Walker putting in the worst crosses in history, never scoring from set pieces and corners etc.

Lamela was getting destroyed on the wing, so was Eriksen off the ball. This leaves them with no water carrying and can do what they do best. Attack attack attack.

The English brain trust can win the Europa for us. IMO desperate measures are needed. Watching Soldado and Towny..Which was nailed on never worked all season under AVB...Watching Naughton take set pieces...Lennon scuff or running down dead ends. It's time to beef up our flanks and start beasting games.

Dembo should not be beating 3 people on his own half. Eriksen should be taking all free kicks. Lamela should not be tracking back.

Thats a very good point, hence why we bought new wingers, Chadli and Lamela..
Chadli looks like he is improving on somewhat of a weak start, and we all know the Lamela story..

So maybe there will be some improvements to the wingers in the future, Chadli getting better and Lamela coming from injury.

I think Chadli needs to have the ketchup taken away before he can be a starter for us because he will get injured Hudd style when he twists and turns. But he would work perfect in the shape above on the left. He is a player that will go 90 mins and has a better shot than his goals to shots ratio suggests (because we have terrible buildup and desperate shooting).

IMO we needs to back the signings. And drop players that last year were just about good enough to go on loan last season. We expected too much from the IMO.

I have no problems with Chadli as backup. But AVB got mugged by the flash of Lennon. Just like Arry did and let GDS rot and the same happened to Lamela.

Bentaleb deserves to be given his chance but it's gone too far now.. He's had more game time than Eriksen, and Soldado.
Not sure what Tim's trying to prove but it's back fired on him.
Yep I agree with this. I think he's been very good so far this season, and one mistake against Norwich doesn't change any of that. But leaving Eriksen on the bench for the whole game at the weekend when we needed clinical passing in the final third was a massive mistake by Sherwood.

Don't quit your day job mate, because that formation is truly dreadful. Any team playing with a bit of width would fucking obliterate that side, I'm sorry to say

So a 3 deep combo of Eriksen, betaleb and vert on the left, is weaker than Rose and Eriksen?

We are ALREADY being obliterated down the flanks. And people playing with width are not killing us: Long balls on the break are killing us. That pass that cuts us to pieces won't happen if you have the midfield packed and a strong spine.

Its the cross balls that are cutting us apart: If that initial ball does not happen, problem solved. By the way, having players on the wings like we do is the illusion of cover. Just because Rose, Lennon, Naughton, Lamela and Eriksen are there, does not mean they can stop a damn thing because they are powder puff.

This formation is due to how bad Rose, Lennon, Towny and Naughton are. You want width? Lennon and Towny have 2 goals and 1 assists COMBINED and leave us wide open on the flanks. So you get no goals, 80 wasted shots at goal, terrible creativity and no cover on the flanks.

Using the Van Gaal 3-3-3-1 system is better suited to a team overloaded with quality midfielders. How can a team with BentY, Beast, Dembo, Capoue, Vert etc be weaker compared to a team loaded with Naughtons, Roses, Lennon and Townys who don't have a clue?

The attacking players I mentioned have a history of goal scoring. Ask yourself...Lamela had 15 goals in 30 games last season. How do you think he would have done with Towny's 50+ shots? How would Eriksen? We need the right players taking the shots on. Not Lennon, Towny, Pauly etc. We need it to be players with a record of goal scoring. On the flip side, the players who have a history of goal scoring like Eriksen are lightweight so you need a shape that has cover for them. having the likes of the Beast, Pauly, Capoue behind them lets the Lamelas attack.

How do you think our set pieces will go with Capoue, Dembo, Vert, Kaboul, Walker, Ade, Sandro etc attacking them and Eriksen taking them? With Lennon, Rose, Towny and the other tiny dancers we might as well tap the ball to the keeper from corners. At least we wont lose our shape when we lose the ball.

Last edited:
Whoever speculated that Timmy (with his Youth Academy hat on) might be in line for some kind of 'appearance-related bonus' for any Yoot players making the step up to the 1st team is probably onto something...

My biggest problem with Bentalab is the fish eyes. Also I can't be bothered to learn to spell his name properly, same with Adebyor.

Not been hugely impressed tbh. He obviously has potential, but constantly putting him in the side just seems to be a point of principle. He's nowhere near my best eleven. Let him go out on loan next season if you want him to get games.

Think he has character, but not sure he's at the level where he can put his mark on a game yet.

Bentaleb is quite clearly an intelligent footballer, who plays differently to our other midfielder's.

What is with Spurs fans?

*** thinks back to the days of 5 threads a week titled CARRICK/MODRIC: WHAT DOES HE DO??? ***

*** awaits numerous hysterical replies accusing me of saying Bentaleb is better than Modric ***

He was warming up infront of me last night. When we scored our first two goals he went mental, jumping up and down and pumping his fist in celebration. Next to him also warming up were Lennon, Kane and Veljkovic who clapped for all of 15 seconds before carrying on stretching. In a side that is struggling to get up for games I can see why he gets picked.

Back
Top Bottom