Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've always stood by comments and more than happy to discuss with anyone respectfully - it is you and the rest of the Arry Staunch Supporters society that can't help themselves. I guess the difference is I can accept and most importantly respect your take on Arry and AVB whereas you could never afford me the same gesture back due to your irrational dislike
Well short of calling me a black, lesbian, disabled psychopathic rhinoceros - I'm not sure how you could have got that more wrong.
Irrational dislike of what or who - AVB? Wrong, thought he was a perfectly reasonable and pleasant individual, would be happy to spend time in his company.
His style of football - not my taste, I don't come from the same philosophical background of winning at all costs - particularly if it means putting out sterile turgid formations of automatons who strangle a game to death and make your eyes bleed to watch. In the UK years ago there was a programme called Opportunity Knocks (precursor to all the instant fame shit nowadays) that had a clap-o-meter. If WHL had a boo-o-meter I suspect that AVB's sides would have the highest scores.
As you love to point out, I'm old school and I love the traditions of my club and the "lets not wait for them to die of boredom" philosophy that is the root and branch of its ethos. Santini and AVB were not of that school and that is what I would condemn your sainted love for. I don't have to trawl the internet for facts, or for salacious gossip to condemn AVB to prove my point, it was out there on the field - for all but the blind to see. He got saved last year because of the one man phenomena that was Gareth Bale, and even with a squad as multitalented as the one he had to start this season, all he could manage were sterile, unappetising performances that were functional, and eye wateringly boring to watch.
Rest assured of one thing though, whilst he was managing the team I have supported blindly for so long - he had my unreserved support and the only thing I ever said against him were in discussions over the aesthetics of what he was producing.
My support for Redknapp is the same as my support for Sherwood, I'll stand and speak against any irrational or unfair condemnation of the guy (as I see it) - and people like you and the rest of the "weasel" crowd, who shit the guy and what he's doing, or what the old one did, are based on prejudice and bias, along with stupid comments about who they supported as children. Do you ever hear anyone condemn Jimmy Greaves for his boyhood team allegiances? So why is it an issue with any of the managers we have?
I can't be bothered to discuss much with you, because you are, as I have said before - a hypocrite, you condemn people for the traits that you so often display. Or more tellingly - you have been in the past. To your credit your participation in debates is far less abusive and condemnatory, but your problem is in your past - and I suspect it will take a while before people fully respond to the more responsible manner in which you conduct yourself now.

You hate it when I give you advice, but for what its worth - back off with some of the stuff that you keep trotting out, but most of all stop trying to defend AVB, he's gone - and no amount of scorn or derision from you is going to make Sherwood go away. We all know whose hands that decision is in.
Oh and Sherwoods status is identical to AVB's was - his contract is short, because he has no track record, he's building that as we speak. Whether he gets an extension will depend on what the club achieves by the end of the season, possibly just over 20 games to go - if we do OK in the UEFA cup thingy.

Debate what you like, express your point of view - but try doing it from a standpoint that these are my views, would you like to discuss them? Rather than - these are the facts - dispute them and you are a fool who deserves nothing but derision.

Failing that, find a big successful club with an unlimited budget, and go and support them - there's plenty to choose from now. It might keep your bile and blood pressure down.

Our current standing is an amalgamation of 2 managers - let's wait and re-asses in May - unless of course you want to go into individual games
:avbshock::paulinhofacepalm:

OK, let's.

Sherwood in the league: WDWWWWLDWW
AVB same period last year: WDWWWDDDWW

Taken 23 from possible 30 points. The 3rd best team in the league over that period (Chelsea 24pts, City 25pts). The joint best away form with City (13 from 15 points), having played Southampton, Man Utd, Swansea, Hull & Newcastle on the road (West Brom, Stoke, Palace, Man City, Everton at home).

We are 5th, on 50 points, with a goal difference of +4 (a +10 swing since Tim taking over).

When he took over we were in 7th, on 27 points (not bad by any means) and a goal difference of -6.

Same time last season we were 4th on 48 points.

If AVB were sacked same time last season, we would have been in 5th on 26 points.

So Sherwood, the un-experienced, tracksuit-wearing, Woolwich-supporting, money-saving, dense little interim weasel has not only bettered AVB's results in the same period (during which time under AVB in 2012 we played: Swansea, Stoke, Villa, Sunderland, Reading, QPR, Man Utd, Norwich, West Brom & Newcastle), but he has played better football doing it.

5 of those teams (in bold) are the same as the period under Tim so far. AVB amassed 11 points in those 5 games, Tim 13. And under AVB 4 of those we at home. Only 2 under Tim.

Both had 5 games home, 5 away. Green are wins, yellow draws. 22 points. No doubt a great haul (1 point less than Sherwood), but we hardly had a difficult run with AVB, in fact Tim's has been far more difficult with Man Utd, City and Everton, you could put Southampton in there too given it was away.

You might hate Sherwood, you might want a bigger name, you might think (though you are wrong) that he is an interim manager - but for his first job in top flight football, he's doing a damn fine job, and doing the club proud.

He lost his 2 cup games? West Ham - he'd had, what, 2 days to prepare? Hardly a game to judge him by. And Woolwich @ the Emirates - lost there only once in the league (first game vs Villa) and 3 in total (also to Chelsea and Borussia Dortmund) - 2 teams we can agree are far beyond our reach.

So what is your negative attitude towards him based on, exactly? I was a huge AVB fan, gutted when he was sacked - but all in all I want Spurs to be winning games and playing great football, and whether that is with AVB, Tim Sherwood, LvG or Ronald McDonald at the helm, I couldn't give a fuck. But you seem all bent out of shape about our appointment because of his contract length and clothing choice, rather than his results. If he had a 10-year contract and worse an Armani suit but lost 8 of his 10 games, would you be backing him to turn it around?

Tim - just dreadful.

:avbfacepalm:

i thought this was the nabil bentaleb thread
No, this is general tim sherwood plan b a-team hannibal batman nabil andre thread

I see why you were mistaken.
Even happened to me, and im not a yale dropout.

Didnt attened really.
Hastag benta-fucken-leb.
:gylfi:

Sherwood in the league: WDWWWWLDWW
AVB same period last year: WDWWWDDDWW

Stopped reading after that - comparing different seasons / squads / opponents is ridiculous to say the least. Not to mention the inevitable homey-moon period. The teams we've defeated under Tim were some of the weakest on current form at the time of playing

- Newcastle - 0 wins in 7
- Hull City - 1 win in 10
- Swansea - worst team on form in the PL - 0 wins from their last 6 games and 2 points only
- Utd - shocking home form all season - lost 2 of their previous 3
- Saints - 0 wins from their last 5 games
- WBA - 0 wins from their last 7 games and 3 points only
- Stoke - 2 wins in their last 6 and 12 goals conceded
- Palace - 2 wins in their last 6

So - as mentioned earlier I'll reserve judgment until May. As for the 'interim' title - all you have to do is read his interviews - straight from the horses mouth.

:lennon:

Last edited:
Stopped reading after that - comparing different seasons / squads / opponents is ridiculous to say the least. Not to mention the inevitable homey-moon period. The teams we've defeated under Tim were some of the weakest on current form at the time of playing

- Newcastle - 0 wins in 7
- Hull City - 1 win in 10
- Swansea - worst team on form in the PL - 0 wins from their last 6 games and 2 points only
- Utd - shocking home form all season - lost 2 of their previous 3
- Saints - 0 wins from their last 5 games
- WBA - 0 wins from their last 7 games and 3 points only
- Stoke - 2 wins in their last 6 and 12 goals conceded
- Palace - 2 wins in their last 6

So - as mentioned earlier I'll reserve judgment until May. As for the 'interim' title - all you have to do is read his interviews - straight from the horses mouth.
Thats alot of shit teams. But if you think about it, then avb played them too, doesent matter when.
So sherwood got lucky that he had so many shit teams. Well, face it thats like a half of the league teams. Yep, he got those points now, which is good imo

Back to Bentaleb's international preference, I wonder how much of his decision has been based on the fact he may well be playing at the World Cup coming up.

Hey all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Huge Algeria fan, but don't support Spurs as my club team. As you probably know, Bentaleb's decided to represent Algeria in the international arena and that's prompted a lot of excitement.

He's been called up for a friendly in early March and is expected to make the squad for Brazil. Algeria usually play a 4-3-2-1 more than a 4-2-3-1, so he probably won't be expected to play in a double pivot. I think that's good. He's intelligent and makes a good number of interceptions, but I think he has shown that he's susceptible to losing midfield runners, and maybe lacks a little bit of aggression in the tackle.

If he is to start right away (big if), it'll be alongside Inter Milan's Saphir Taïder and I can see the two of them forming a superb relationship over the next decade. Both can go for miles and play that box-to-box role nicely, contributing in defence and in attack. The problem for us, at the moment, is finding someone to play behind them. Spurs have Piggy Capoue and Beastman Sandro, we have decent options but no one on the level of the aforementioned two.

Think Spurs fans have been slightly harsh on Bentaleb, but I also understand the frustration. At times he hasn't shown that he's indispensable and so he bears the brunt of Sherwood's team selection. But if you assess his performances and factor in that he's played less than 10 PL matches, is 19 years old, has been played out of position... his performances have been quite encouraging.

Lots have said that his best match in a Spurs shirt was the last one against Newcastle, but I actually think it was against Palace at home. If you dissect each of them, I think you'll see how to get the best out of the lad. Against Palace he had a lot of time on the ball and we saw him be a little more ambitious. Bravery will come with age/experience, but if given time, I think Bentaleb will show how talented he is. He is so much more than a 'safe option' midfielder. Then against Newcastle he was relieved of some defensive duties and was awarded more freedom. If he's accommodated in those two fashions, I think he'll excel.

Side note: So good to see a player that's genuinely Algerian. Born in France, but understands/talks Arabic, didn't hesitate to opt for us. A humble kid. Really, he's going to be adored in Algeria, we'll take good care of him. A contrast to how Benzema/Nasri have been dealt with in France (though they don't exactly help themselves)

Hey all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Huge Algeria fan, but don't support Spurs as my club team. As you probably know, Bentaleb's decided to represent Algeria in the international arena and that's prompted a lot of excitement.

He's been called up for a friendly in early March and is expected to make the squad for Brazil. Algeria usually play a 4-3-2-1 more than a 4-2-3-1, so he probably won't be expected to play in a double pivot. I think that's good. He's intelligent and makes a good number of interceptions, but I think he has shown that he's susceptible to losing midfield runners, and maybe lacks a little bit of aggression in the tackle.

If he is to start right away (big if), it'll be alongside Inter Milan's Saphir Taïder and I can see the two of them forming a superb relationship over the next decade. Both can go for miles and play that box-to-box role nicely, contributing in defence and in attack. The problem for us, at the moment, is finding someone to play behind them. Spurs have Piggy Capoue and Beastman Sandro, we have decent options but no one on the level of the aforementioned two.

Think Spurs fans have been slightly harsh on Bentaleb, but I also understand the frustration. At times he hasn't shown that he's indispensable and so he bears the brunt of Sherwood's team selection. But if you assess his performances and factor in that he's played less than 10 PL matches, is 19 years old, has been played out of position... his performances have been quite encouraging.

Lots have said that his best match in a Spurs shirt was the last one against Newcastle, but I actually think it was against Palace at home. If you dissect each of them, I think you'll see how to get the best out of the lad. Against Palace he had a lot of time on the ball and we saw him be a little more ambitious. Bravery will come with age/experience, but if given time, I think Bentaleb will show how talented he is. He is so much more than a 'safe option' midfielder. Then against Newcastle he was relieved of some defensive duties and was awarded more freedom. If he's accommodated in those two fashions, I think he'll excel.

Side note: So good to see a player that's genuinely Algerian. Born in France, but understands/talks Arabic, didn't hesitate to opt for us. A humble kid. Really, he's going to be adored in Algeria, we'll take good care of him. A contrast to how Benzema/Nasri have been dealt with in France (though they don't exactly help themselves)

Great post. You guys have been so unlucky with France taking your potential players, notably Zidane!

He's our most successful manager win % wise. And wasn't a self-serving twat to boot.

4th > 5th
1/4 final CL > 1/4 final EL
Double > 72pts
UEFA Cup winners > 1/4 final EL
FA Cup winners > knocked out of FA Cup
CC winners > knocked out of CC
Good football > Shit football

Nothing successful about AVB at Spurs whatsoever

Great post. You guys have been so unlucky with France taking your potential players, notably Zidane!
I know what you mean, but if anything, we're taking French players. Likes of Benzema, Nasri, Zidane were born in France and spent their formative years learning from French coaches in a French system.

To guarantee success, Algeria have to build their own infrastructure and produce their own players. We're a bit lucky because of the size of the diaspora in France; so many French-Algerians are produced that we've nipped a few and it's compensated for the lack of grassroots work being done in Algeria.

Most of the footballing infrastructure was neglected because of political violence. Wrote about it in The Telegraph last month (shameless plug, I know, but there's a bit about Bentaleb at the end)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-seen-Algeria-grow-stronger-and-stronger.html

Back to Bentaleb's international preference, I wonder how much of his decision has been based on the fact he may well be playing at the World Cup coming up.

Obviously no one can know but the player himself. There've been rumours that he's been assured a spot on the World Cup roster, but they're unsubstantiated.

There are some players on the national team today, that I have my doubts about. But when it comes to Bentaleb, I would actually wager that he would have always picked Algeria in the end.

This time last year he actually contacted the Algerian Football Federation to play the U20 African Championships but was ignored. He speaks/understands Arabic, hangs out with a lot of Algerians. A video surfaced a few days ago of Bentaleb in Lille (Think Sherwood gave the players a few days off)

That's him hanging out with some Algerians. Basic gist of the conversation is:

"What are your sentiments about playing for Algeria?"
"It's about pride for me" Then he says the popular slogan '1,2,3, Viva L'Algeria' Gives a shout-out to different parts of Algeria then all of Algeria. Finally he's asked what we'll do at the World Cup and he says 'We'll win it'. And he gets a parting kiss on the cheek.

Just things like that show his attachment, in my opinion. But like I said, no one but the player can know what motivated his decision.

Hey all,

In regards to Bentaleb criticism I think most of it has to do with some people's negative opinions of Sherwood as opposed to how Bentaleb has been playing. If you showed a neutral the games I think the only one where he might be fairly criticized for his performance would be against City. Even then how can you blame a 19 year old for struggling against them?

Congrats on getting Nabil. Looks to be a great pick up for you guys. Hopefully he can be a centerpiece of your squad and ours for the the next decade or even longer. I love the passion and work ethic he brings to the game. A few more years in the weight room while continuing to build his skill set and understanding of the game and the sky is the limit for this kid. Exciting times ahead.

Most of the footballing infrastructure was neglected because of political violence. Wrote about it in The Telegraph last month (shameless plug, I know, but there's a bit about Bentaleb at the end)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-seen-Algeria-grow-stronger-and-stronger.html
Nice article.

This time last year he actually contacted the Algerian Football Federation to play the U20 African Championships but was ignored.

That's a bit off-putting?

For the player? Yeah it must have been, but I don't think he took it personally. It's common knowledge that the youth NT's are a farce. Proof is the Algerian U20s crashed out in the first round and months later he was called up for the French U20s.

Didn't only happen to Bentaleb. Ishak Belfodil and Yassine Benzia are two players that went out of their way to try and contact the Algerian FF. They were both unsuccessful and ended up playing with French youth NTs. We've recouped Belfodil, and I'm sure Benzia will come along in a year or two.

Gerry%20Francis%20with

"Zidane is too wooden"

Would'nt read too much into the Algerian FA's assessment on Bentaleb to be honest.

I know what you mean, but if anything, we're taking French players. Likes of Benzema, Nasri, Zidane were born in France and spent their formative years learning from French coaches in a French system.

To guarantee success, Algeria have to build their own infrastructure and produce their own players. We're a bit lucky because of the size of the diaspora in France; so many French-Algerians are produced that we've nipped a few and it's compensated for the lack of grassroots work being done in Algeria.

Obviously no one can know but the player himself. There've been rumours that he's been assured a spot on the World Cup roster, but they're unsubstantiated.

There are some players on the national team today, that I have my doubts about. But when it comes to Bentaleb, I would actually wager that he would have always picked Algeria in the end.

This time last year he actually contacted the Algerian Football Federation to play the U20 African Championships but was ignored. He speaks/understands Arabic, hangs out with a lot of Algerians. A video surfaced a few days ago of Bentaleb in Lille (Think Sherwood gave the players a few days off)

That's him hanging out with some Algerians. Basic gist of the conversation is:

"What are your sentiments about playing for Algeria?"
"It's about pride for me" Then he says the popular slogan '1,2,3, Viva L'Algeria' Gives a shout-out to different parts of Algeria then all of Algeria. Finally he's asked what we'll do at the World Cup and he says 'We'll win it'. And he gets a parting kiss on the cheek.

Just things like that show his attachment, in my opinion. But like I said, no one but the player can know what motivated his decision.

New to contributing to the forum/posts man, but make sure you continue. Good, refreshing, intelligent writing/pieces!

4th > 5th
1/4 final CL > 1/4 final EL
Double > 72pts
UEFA Cup winners > 1/4 final EL
FA Cup winners > knocked out of FA Cup
CC winners > knocked out of CC
Good football > Shit football

Nothing successful about AVB at Spurs whatsoever
According to that - Ramos is our most successful manager since Graham

Side note: So good to see a player that's genuinely Algerian. Born in France, but understands/talks Arabic, didn't hesitate to opt for us
Mate, I think it's pretty obvious why he opted for 'you' - same reason BAE opted for Cameroon, etc.

Welcome to the forum, btw

Back
Top Bottom