Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bentaleb was very, very good in Poch's first season. Put in top performances against Woolwich and Chelsea.

Hope he's more involved and injury-free this season.

I will also be very interested to see if he has dropped the attitude he seemed to have that started in Australia.
Maybe he had something going on.
If he gets his head screwed on he could be like a new signing.

On the top of my head; Tramezzani, Saib, Acimovic, Edinburgh, Austin, Bunjevcevic, Toda, Leonhardsen, Thatcher, Perry, Rasiak, Clemence and the List goes on...

There you go... and I bet you weren't even trying?!!

Imagine if we got the Opus and Annuals out??

Ok, he's not perfect, but the reality is we need a CM who can rotate with Dembele as our "transition" guy. And ultimately, that's probably either Alli or Bentaleb, internally. If Pochettino decides to keep Alli as essentially our wide-left forward, I think that means that Bentaleb needs to become the guy who can do something of what Dembele does. And that's a tall order, since Dembele is a complete freak, but if he's going to thrive at Tottenham, it'll be as the guy who can initiate and control our transition and start of attack/defence.

I don't know if he will be able to do that or not. If not, then he'll need to look elsewhere, and that's life. But he's got a lot of talent, and I hope he makes it with us.

I will also be very interested to see if he has dropped the attitude he seemed to have that started in Australia.
Maybe he had something going on.
If he gets his head screwed on he could be like a new signing.

Obviously there's more than meets the eye going on behind the scenes at any football club, and at the end of the day, they're just human as well, and some just cannot handle the pressure, attention and money that comes with stepping into the limelight like that.

He just didn't seem the type to let anything faze him and change his work ethics, and as such I would have expected it less from him than most young players. So I cannot help feel something is - hopefully was - going on that we aren't aware off.

Like that video showing the players say he runs the furthest in training. Not getting carried away but surely that's a sign he is trying his very best to get back in Pochs good books. Was very very good two seasons ago. Has everything at his disposal.

If we can get Bentaleb back from two years ago but improvements in that he knows how to implement this system to his game then he potentially saves us £15m+ on a midfield player.

Bentaleb, Dier, Wanyama, Dembele is a great solid central midfield four. If the likes of Mason then fill in as fifth choice, won't get much better.

Like that video showing the players say he runs the furthest in training. Not getting carried away but surely that's a sign he is trying his very best to get back in Pochs good books. Was very very good two seasons ago. Has everything at his disposal.

People are getting completely carried away with the rumours about his attitude last season. If he was a bad apple then Poch would've gotten rid of him ages ago.

There's a reason why Poch turned to him immediately. I remember Alli said about 6 months ago that Lamela, Bentaleb and Kane are the hardest workers in training.

He was injured for much of last season, that's why he wasn't involved. He was never fit. He played a horrible game at Old Trafford and a decent one against Everton, then he got injured, came back 5 months later and got injured after a few cup outings.

I'm not saying his apperances last season were good, they were not, but all this nonsense about his mental state is pure guess work. I even read someone on here comparing him to Mido and Ghaly. Utter garbage.

Having said that, he's got his work cut out for him with Dembele, Dier and Wanyama at the club.

People are getting completely carried away with the rumours about his attitude last season. If he was a bad apple then Poch would've gotten rid of him ages ago.

There's a reason why Poch turned to him immediately. I remember Alli said about 6 months ago that Lamela, Bentaleb and Kane are the hardest workers in training.

He was injured for much of last season, that's why he wasn't involved. He was never fit. He played a horrible game at Old Trafford and a decent one against Everton, then he got injured, came back 5 months later and got injured after a few cup outings.

I'm not saying his apperances last season were good, they were not, but all this nonsense about his mental state is pure guess work. I even read someone on here comparing him to Mido and Ghaly. Utter garbage.

Having said that, he's got his work cut out for him with Dembele, Dier and Wanyama at the club.
I'd be very surprised if last year was purely injury based. I'd prefer to think it was though but surely Pochettino would of made more of a deal about it during interviews throughout the season. Still sends shivers down my spine that we started Carroll and Mason as holding midfielders against Dortmund. Think one thing Bentaleb has over Dembele is being able to play for 90 minutes at the moment. I'd like to see him come on for Dembele on the 60/70 minute mark more often this year. Him and Njie are the cliché 'like a new signing' players as we saw very little of both last year, exciting.

The jokes about wanks at signings and what not are plenty on here, but I don't mind admitting this made me tingly in all the right places :dierno: I love seeing people who's come through the ranks at the club makes at first team level. I'll trust the decision if anyone is moved on, but I'll always be rooting for them to make it until then. And Bentaleb, as others have noted, can really be like a new signing. I feel koppel koppel is partly right with the injuries, but it still doesn't completely explain his limited minutes. This really shows that he's got his head right (whether it was ever not so or not) and that he's liked in the squad. Can't wait to see him next season :bentalebscream:

Last edited:
Will he participate in the Olympics in Brazil?

Couldn't really find an article on the squad being announced, though I couldn't be arsed to look that long, but if Wikipedia can be trusted, he's not in the squad.

Another good sign, as he's most likely been given the chance to go to Rio, with him being eligable by his age. Staying around to focus on Spurs can only be a positive!

The jokes about wanks at signings and what not are plenty on here, but I don't mind admitting this made me tingly in all the right places :dierno: I love seeing people who's come through at the club. I'll trust the decision if anyone is moved on, but I'll always be rooting for them to make it until then. And Bentaleb, as others have noted, can really be like a new signing. I feel koppel koppel is partly right with the injuries, but it still doesn't completely explain his limited minutes. This really shows that he's got his head right (whether it was ever not so or not) and that he's liked in the squad. Can't wait to see him next season :bentalebscream:

I'm not saying that there's wasn't something wrong last year, but people went over the top comparing him to Ghaly and Mido.

Out of all the potential good or not good enough Bentaleb is the one hardest to guess. Mason, Carroll, Fazio, Pritchard etc could all leave us and have pretty decent careers, Bentaleb on the other hand has the attributes like Dembele of a potential monster if he can get it right.

In the 14/15 campaign the last 2-3 months I thought Bentaleb was the stand out, he is athletic, explosive, technically quite good, a really dominate midfielder. Last season he was a shadow on his previous self.

I hope he lives up to his potential with us as just like Dembele a few seasons back when he might have left after a poor time the ability is clearly there.

Out of all the potential good or not good enough Bentaleb is the one hardest to guess. Mason, Carroll, Fazio, Pritchard etc could all leave us and have pretty decent careers, Bentaleb on the other hand has the attributes like Dembele of a potential monster if he can get it right.

In the 14/15 campaign the last 2-3 months I thought Bentaleb was the stand out, he is athletic, explosive, technically quite good, a really dominate midfielder. Last season he was a shadow on his previous self.

I hope he lives up to his potential with us as just like Dembele a few seasons back when he might have left after a poor time the ability is clearly there.

So do I but his distribution, positioning and general attitude when he starts to showboat are all poor and I much prefer other options but trust Poch's judgement in this!

:pochsulk:

Back
Top Bottom