Michael Dawson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In a season where we have had plenty of players seemingly not give a shit, display poor attitudes, and not play with the level of effort one would expect from a professional it is easy to look at Dawson and still get a bit of a warm feeling about the club.

I think it's a bit over the top to see some of the vitriol spouted about Dawson this season. Sure he's not great but at least you know he'd give everything he had to get us three points. That's not something that can be said about more than a handful of players at the club currently. That is why I think people get defensive about Dawson because his passion is something rare and worthy of praise.

Dr Rocktopus Dr Rocktopus

id take talent over passion...
sure daws is more likely to cry than verts after losing a game, on the other hand verts is less likely to lose one

I know where you're coming from, but it's not as if he's a pub-team player that somehow gets Prem games. He has attributes, and his passion is one of them. In the right CB partnership he has been fantastic for us. With a player like King alongside him he was a contender for player of the season a couple of years in a row. Yes King was an exceptional footballer, but his partner would still have to be of a certain level to put in the performances Dawson did.

The ideal scenario would be to have a combination of skill and passion, but without players like Parker and VDV I'd place what Daws brings to the team highly.

MotM for me. Frustrating player at times, but I can't help but love the guy. Bleeds Spurs, and is one player you know is never going to let his head drop. Some people still make out that his passion and dedication is not a valuable attribute, which is ridiculous.

People have said they wish Daws had even half the fancy skills of Verts, but imagine if Verts had even half the passion of Daws. It's a rare commodity at our club these days.
I understand what you're saying...but, would I take Vert's talent or Daw's passion?...talent for me mate.

I know where you're coming from, but it's not as if he's a pub-team player that somehow gets Prem games. He has attributes, and his passion is one of them. In the right CB partnership he has been fantastic for us. With a player like King alongside him he was a contender for player of the season a couple of years in a row. Yes King was an exceptional footballer, but his partner would still have to be of a certain level to put in the performances Dawson did.

The ideal scenario would be to have a combination of skill and passion, but without players like Parker and VDV I'd place what Daws brings to the team highly.
Just seen this response...

Ledley King would make Lee Trundle look like a respectable CB. We need to abandon this King differential. He was one of a kind.

Daws needs to be judged as a stand alone CB, and judging him that way, he's alright. NOT a top 6 side's first choice CB.

I think he was far from MotM quality. I think that Lloris, Kaboul and Rose all had better games, you could even argue that Ade had a better game.

I don't wanna sound like I'm on his dick, but I again find myself agreeing with cahspur cahspur . I'd love to see him with Spurs again next season, but as a sub.

JDK JDK

i understand this sentiment..and holtby probably falls in the same catergory (though i think he has the talent as well)

Not aiming this towards you at all but Dawson has done a lot for the club and still plays at a decent level. Because of that he doesn't deserve to be slagged off. He deserves a level of respect.

Also it's not like a guy like Vertonghen hasn't cocked up either. Chelsea and Basel come to mind. But he's held to a different standard which also seems a little unfair especially when their respective attitudes are considered.

Not aiming this towards you at all but Dawson has done a lot for the club and still plays at a decent level. Because of that he doesn't deserve to be slagged off. He deserves a level of respect.

Also it's not like a guy like Vertonghen hasn't cocked up either. Chelsea and Basel come to mind. But he's held to a different standard which also seems a little unfair especially when their respective attitudes are considered.

tbh theres only a few players I put into the club legend (deserves respect even when playing poorly catergory) and daws isnt one of them..his played around 220 games for us in close to ten years..hardly a club legend

tbh theres only a few players I put into the club legend (deserves respect even when playing poorly catergory) and daws isnt one of them..his played around 220 games for us in close to ten years..hardly a club legend

Dawson has more Tottenham in his big toe than 90% of our team combined. He deserves respect.

I'm not saying people shouldn't say he's not good enough when he's performing poorly. I said in this thread he was only good enough to play against bottom half teams. But people get so personal and vicious insulting players. Personally, I don't think any player deserves that type of abuse but least of all Dawson.

Dawson has more Tottenham in his big toe than 90% of our team combined. He deserves respect.

I'm not saying people shouldn't say he's not good enough when he's performing poorly. I said in this thread he was only good enough to play against bottom half teams. But people get so personal and vicious insulting players. Personally, I don't think any player deserves that type of abuse but least of all Dawson.

Charlie Adam fucking does.

JDK JDK

football is a passionate game, it comes as no surprise that attacks become personal..for me its a two way street sure he deserves a level of respect but me as a supporter am also entitled to my opinion as at the end of the day my support translates into his wages, his nice house and his stella mrs..

Charlie Adam fucking does.

Technically he's not a player though. He's a thug in a football shirt that happens to be able to run onto pitches and assault actual players without being ejected from the ground.

*edit - apart from when he is ejected from the ground...frequently...for being a thug.

Technically he's not a player though. He's a thug in a football shirt that happens to be able to run onto pitches and assault actual players without being ejected from the ground.

*edit - apart from when he is ejected from the ground...frequently...for being a thug.

Technically he's not a player though. He's a thug in a football shirt that happens to be able to run onto pitches stand on the touch line and assault actual players without being ejected from the ground.

In a season where we have had plenty of players seemingly not give a shit, display poor attitudes, and not play with the level of effort one would expect from a professional it is easy to look at Dawson and still get a bit of a warm feeling about the club.

I think it's a bit over the top to see some of the vitriol spouted about Dawson this season. Sure he's not great but at least you know he'd give everything he had to get us three points. That's not something that can be said about more than a handful of players at the club currently. That is why I think people get defensive about Dawson because his passion is something rare and worthy of praise.
More sense as usual JDK, top post about a top player. He's our 'Mr Spurs', not Sandro.

Heart - Dawson is a loveable player in more sense than just passion. He is eloquent when interviewed, has shown time and again to be a very decent individual, and cares about the supporters.
Head - His imitations have been exposed a little this season, not helped by the high line. I don't doubt that there are certain matches, Stoke for example, that he is ideal for but he is simple not good enough against nimble players.

I wouldn't want him to leave but if he isn't playing, I couldn't begrudge him a move.

Back
Top Bottom