Michael Dawson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The man deserves his own thread I think.

It is rare that a player is universally loved by his own supporters let alone liked by those of rival clubs but in Michael Dawson I think most people saw a player who just loved playing football, appreciated every match he played and above all else, left nothing on the pitch at full time.

It is true that he wasn't the quickest and could be beaten on the turn but the flip side of that is he rarely lost a challenge in the air, had almost impeccable timing in on the deck and had that childish smile on his face that seemed to suggest he could never quite believe he was paid to play football (in the good sense, not the Paul Dickov sense).

I can appreciate why, for both player and Club this makes sense, I just wish him all the best at QPR and know he will get a rousing reception when he comes to the Lane - he deserves it.

Cheers Daws

AberdeenYid said:
We might be too quick off the mark here. QPR look like they are about to sign Carvalho on loan. Would they want Daws too?
It would make them better wouldn't it? Carvalho would actually be a good pairing with Dawson, he would be the smart defender to calm him down. They wouldn't ship 5 goals to Swansea at home, I could tell you that.

He's clearly not gonna feature even if he stays.

A real shame. Has been loyal, 100% committed and a real asset and trooper. I guess football has become too "intellectual" that having heart is seen as old fashioned.

Better to be technically gifted and a cunt.....why scum like Suarez get lauded (not that he's that gifted, the average rat faced prick)

Rant over

I love Dawson as a person and for the love and commitment he has shown to the club.

I am not such a big fan of the hoofing ball strategy he often deployed but maybe that was due to tactical advice by the coaching staff.

Still , hope he does extremely well at QPR

SanDiegoYiddo said:
AberdeenYid said:
We might be too quick off the mark here. QPR look like they are about to sign Carvalho on loan. Would they want Daws too?
It would make them better wouldn't it? Carvalho would actually be a good pairing with Dawson, he would be the smart defender to calm him down. They wouldn't ship 5 goals to Swansea at home, I could tell you that.
Fair point.

I was just thinking QPR have already spent a fortune and may not want too many new players in their first team.

Also think anyone agreeing to play in front of Rob Green needs their head looked at.

I think Caulker needs to get playing time to continue his development, and as mentioned elsewhere, if it's a choice between Gallas & Dawson, you've got to sell the guy you can get £9m for.

Listening to Talksport this morning and everyone seems to missing what I think is key in us selling Dawson. Steven Caulker. Forget the whole Dawson is better than Gallas etc etc. Verts imo is the replacement for Gallas and Caulker is the replacement for Dawson. Instead of people laying into AVB over this how about look at it from the other angle. AVB is putting his faith in young up and coming central defender who looked great for Swansea last seaon and impressed so much at the olympics he earnt his first England international call up.

Don't get me wrong I rate Dawson and he has been a great servant to the club I'm just struggling to see where he would fit in ahead of Kaboul, Vertonghan and Caulker.

Gallas is nearing the end of his career who will literally have no sell on value and if the rumours are to be true we're about to get £9m for Dawson. As much as it pains me to say I feel dawson is the right person to be selling and offers the best option for all parties involved. It will just be a shame to see him gone as he literally has done nothing wrong except be guilty of the occassional hoof ball

Anderton21 said:
I think Caulker needs to get playing time to continue his development, and as mentioned elsewhere, if it's a choice between Gallas & Dawson, you've got to sell the guy you can get £9m for.

How much do you think a replacement for Gallas will be next season?

My guess is he'll cost more than Dawson and want more in wages, this is a very short term move in my eyes - unless Dawson was pushing for a move himself knowing he wasnt first choice. If thats the case then fair enough if not its idiotic.

Eskimo said:
Anderton21 said:

My guess is he'll cost more than Dawson and want more in wages, this is a very short term move in my eyes - unless Dawson was pushing for a move himself knowing he wasnt first choice. If thats the case then fair enough if not its idiotic.

Who says they are going to buy a replacement for Gallas? We have Caulker, Vertonghen and Kaboul. Yes we may bring in a youngster or sign a back up CB, but I hardly think we are going to go out and but a top name CB. Dawson is on far too much in wages simply to sit on the bench.

He is also too slow to fit into AVBs system.

Don't get me wrong, I love Dawson, and I will miss him. But this is not a bad transfer, it is not a key player going to a rival, and we are getting bloody good money too. Let's put this in some perspective.

Tucker said:
Eskimo said:
Anderton21 said:

Who says they are going to buy a replacement for Gallas? We have Caulker, Vertonghen and Kaboul. Yes we may bring in a youngster or sign a back up CB, but I hardly think we are going to go out and but a top name CB. Dawson is on far too much in wages simply to sit on the bench.

He is also too slow to fit into AVBs system.

Don't get me wrong, I love Dawson, and I will miss him. But this is not a bad transfer, it is not a key player going to a rival, and we are getting bloody good money too. Let's put this in some perspective.

My thoughts exactly, with a core of Kaboul, Vert & Caulker, i don't anticipate us needed to buy another top class centre back for a while, maybe a back up or a youngster as Tucker mentions.

Also if the deals does turn out to be £9M, then this is one of the sales of the season from a seller's point of view.

Everyone is going on about pace but I think the ability the bring the ball out of defence confidently is a massive part of AVB and our new style.

Kaboul can do it.
Gallas can do it
Caulker can do it
Vertonghen can do it.

Dawson - its not his style.

Dru said:
Everyone is going on about pace but I think the ability the bring the ball out of defence confidently is a massive part of AVB and our new style.

Kaboul can do it.
Gallas can do it
Caulker can do it
Vertonghen can do it do it do it lets do lets do it lets do it do it do it

Dawson - its not his style.

Black Eyed peas going on there

This is why Mr A. Supporter cannot be a football manager, we let our hearts cloud our thinking, inhibiting our ability to make tough calls like this.

kushty said:
Listening to Talksport this morning and everyone seems to missing what I think is key in us selling Dawson. Steven Caulker. Forget the whole Dawson is better than Gallas etc etc. Verts imo is the replacement for Gallas and Caulker is the replacement for Dawson. Instead of people laying into AVB over this how about look at it from the other angle. AVB is putting his faith in young up and coming central defender who looked great for Swansea last seaon and impressed so much at the olympics he earnt his first England international call up.

Don't get me wrong I rate Dawson and he has been a great servant to the club I'm just struggling to see where he would fit in ahead of Kaboul, Vertonghan and Caulker.

Gallas is nearing the end of his career who will literally have no sell on value and if the rumours are to be true we're about to get £9m for Dawson. As much as it pains me to say I feel dawson is the right person to be selling and offers the best option for all parties involved. It will just be a shame to see him gone as he literally has done nothing wrong except be guilty of the occassional hoof ball

I think this is pretty much how I feel about it

The bottom line is, verts and kaboul will be the starting pair from here on in and whenever dawson will play, it'll probably be at the expense of caulker and thats not the way we should treat one of our brightest if not our brightest prospect.

The sad truth is if we're expecting him to stay, then we're expecting him to be our 4th choice center back (5th, while gallas is here) and the man deserves better than that.

The only thing I hope is that the club flat out explain to him that our willingness to let him go in no way reflects our views on his contribution and i hope that we pave the way for a possible return in a few years or so, when he might feel more comfortable as a back up center back.

Back
Top Bottom