Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Football tickets are a luxury. Working class game? We have Michelin style dining and £12 pizzas for sale in the stadium. Beer for £7? How much is that same beer in sainsburys?
It’s pure supply and demand.

What’s more of a pressing issue from my point of view is a one bed flat in Tottenham will cost you £1700pcm to rent. The newer ones being built £3500 pcm for a nice two or three bedroom one.

No idea what people are earning on here but I’d be willing to bet most of us fans are not living in the Tottenham area paying those kind of rents.

People need somewhere to live. They don’t NEED to go to watch Premier League football.

Charity stuff I do I see more and more people struggling just to eat. And I struggle to feel sorry for football fans at the moment tbh.

Football tickets are a luxury. Working class game? We have Michelin style dining and £12 pizzas for sale in the stadium. Beer for £7? How much is that same beer in sainsburys?
It’s pure supply and demand.

What’s more of a pressing issue from my point of view is a one bed flat in Tottenham will cost you £1700pcm to rent. The newer ones being built £3500 pcm for a nice two or three bedroom one.

No idea what people are earning on here but I’d be willing to bet most of us fans are not living in the Tottenham area paying those kind of rents.

People need somewhere to live. They don’t NEED to go to watch Premier League football.

Charity stuff I do I see more and more people struggling just to eat. And I struggle to feel sorry for football fans at the moment tbh.
You're right about housing it's a massive shit show in the UK generally along with the 3 other essentials people require - food, water and energy.

But it's not an either/or and you don't need to feel sorry for anyone.

Football is a luxury you said - it never used to be, it was something you could attend at short notice, comparatively cheaply, with friends, even as a kid.

The fact that many are reduced to choosing between food or heating or having somewhere to live, and attending football is a unrealistic dream, is a terrible indictment of how bad things have become. It's not progress, it's the systematic failure of an ideological approach to how 'things' should be done and for whom.
We used to build houses for people to live in - now we build them for developers to make money from.

For a club who is quick to champion all the positive things it does for the local community, the ticket price rises of on average 19%, were a massive kick in the teeth at a time when many people are struggling.

So the protest is really a means for people to express this and of course we're free to join in or not. But it's part of wider issues you correctly brought up.

You're right about housing it's a massive shit show in the UK generally along with the 3 other essentials people require - food, water and energy.

Football is a luxury you said - it never used to be, it was something you could attend at short notice, comparatively cheaply, with friends, even as a kid.

The fact that many are reduced to choosing between food or heating or having somewhere to live, and attending football is a unrealistic dream, is a terrible indictment of how bad things have become. It's not progress, it's the systematic failure of an ideological approach to how 'things' should be done and for whom.
We used to build houses for people to live in - now we build them for developers to make money from.

For a club who is quick to champion all the positive things it does for the local community, the ticket price rises of on average 19%, were a massive kick in the teeth at a time when many people are struggling.

So the protest is really a means for people to express this and of course we're free to join in or not. But it's part of wider issues you correctly brought up.
🫡 Bravo

#ENICOUT

I guess what I'm saying is that in this moment to an unusual degree the PRESENT is unknown.

It's hard to know what we're looking at on a number of fronts. Some things will seem obvious by October that aren't right now.

Yeah, this is true.

I may be wrong, but I don't see you responding to those lamenting our result in the same vein.

It certainly brings up an interesting point and one that I'm not sure the answer about but maybe someone can give some insight.

Is there a factor we are missing here in terms of who can be protested to about the actual issue.

ENIC are part of a wider problem within the game that is focussing on money money money.

ENIC are part of that problem along with most owners of most clubs, along with the premier league and the FA.

Should people be uniting to try and hold those with power at the top of the game responsible and demanding answers as to why the game has been allowed to get to this state?

And this is not me removing ENIC from the equation - but the game is bigger than Tottenham Hotspur.

It certainly brings up an interesting point and one that I'm not sure the answer about but maybe someone can give some insight.

Is there a factor we are missing here in terms of who can be protested to about the actual issue.

ENIC are part of a wider problem within the game that is focussing on money money money.

ENIC are part of that problem along with most owners of most clubs, along with the premier league and the FA.

Should people be uniting to try and hold those with power at the top of the game responsible and demanding answers as to why the game has been allowed to get to this state?

And this is not me removing ENIC from the equation - but the game is bigger than Tottenham Hotspur.
On this subject no, this is clearly about the large increase in ticket prices for this season that brings the club limited extra revenue but hurts the pockets of people struggling with the basics.

And remember we finished 8th and were likely to sell our star player - if anything prices should've dropped to reflect a decline in the product offered.

There are clearly larger issues also, the enormous increase in ticket prices over the last 35 years (close to 1000% in some instances if not more), paying to watch footy on tv, sports washing and the fact most of the money ends up with players and agents. It's obscene and not sustainable. Look at Barca and Juventus as examples.

All this a reflection of our wider, extreme capitalist, consumerist society that's leading to a bigger and bigger gap between rich and poor. Also not sustainable, as is the way we treat the planet and over consume it's natural resources.

They're all relevant but maybe not tomorrow 😉

And remember we finished 8th and were likely to sell our star player - if anything prices should've dropped to reflect a decline in the product offered.
There's a harmony that has suddenly been reached between the THST stuff and the angry cranks on the internet (like me).

"We're happy to support Ange and the rebuild along attacking principles, but fuck you for charging us like you're serving us Pep's Barcelona in there"

On this subject no, this is clearly about the large increase in ticket prices for this season that brings the club limited extra revenue but hurts the pockets of people struggling with the basics.

There are clearly larger issues also, the enormous increase in ticket prices over the last 35 years (close to 1000% in some instances if not more), paying to watch footy on tv, sports washing and the fact most of the money ends up with players and agents. It's obscene and not sustainable. Look at Barca and Juventus as examples.

All this a reflection of our wider, extreme capitalist, consumerist society that's leading to a bigger and bigger gap between rich and poor. Also not sustainable, as is the way we treat the planet and over consume it's natural resources.

They're all relevant but maybe not tomorrow

Great points mate. The whole football machine is something that I would not want any part of if I didn't love watching the game and had Spurs be such a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember.

Protesting the ticket price increase is a must but like you have laid out, there is a bigger picture too which has allowed for this relentless greed everywhere you look in the game

Back
Top Bottom