January 2023 Transfer Thread. The Big One

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As an aside I thought the Poch book that came out while he was still manager was one of the biggest mistakes he made, it could improve nothing and only cause harm for the reasons I cite above. I think his ego got the better of him as things progressed at Spurs. It's often the way after you've been somewhere a long time.

The way he dealt with Rose & Toby undermined his OG ethos too....

Last edited:
I think it's just the club's way to show they're standing behind Paratici, together with having him watch the Preston game, and releasing promotional photos of him with the players.

Fab released such a video after every trf window; so no... Not that either.

Slightly off topic, its not unusual for the FD of listed companies to do presentations of the financial results, so if Conte has his way .... Spurs FD up next ?

Can't see it.... The accounts will be released and as usual there'll be a formal, corporate-style statement attached to that.

We're actually massively behind the likes of Man U in commercial revenue. The area we have really improved is match day revenue. We were 1/4 or a 1/3 of the likes of Man U / Woolwich etc. match day revenue 20 years ago. Now we earn the most. We could not compete without the new stadium. But now we have it, it is time for a change of leadership to make that revenue count on the pitch. I'd happily keep Levy on the payroll to be head of commercial revenue so he can maximise other income (merchandising, sponsorship etc.), just keep him away from any decision making on investment in the first team and under no circumstances let him anywhere near a negotiation for a player transfer.
I always had the impression that when it came to the transfer window Levy was more interested in the deal than the player. He has done well with the business side of things but, as you say, should be kept far from anything to do with the product on the field.

Doc had completely destroyed us with Wolves the season before (we lost 3-2) and was one of the best RWB in the League. PEH was a decent signing, especially for the fee, Reguilon had just come from a Europa League victory with Sevilla in which he was crucial and was voted the best LB in La Liga, and Bale was just Bale coming home.
There was reason to be excited back then for sure.
On face value it seemed decent, but it once you actually analysed it it was quite different.

Doherty was an okay wing back, signed to play as an orthodox right back which he is hopeless at, always has been.
Hojbjerg was a mid table average midfielder signed to play as a DM/6 which he has never been good at. His value reflects his ability. He’s a 15-20 million midfielder all day.
Bale was a signing to get fans exited, nothing else.
Reguilon, tbf, did seem an excellent signing and he did start very brightly, but injuries and changes of manager/system ruined his chances. (Although I still thing he is twice the player Sessengnon is and should still be here ahead of him)
Rodon was a cheap vintage Levy signing when we could easily have signed Skriniar, a world class CB.

There are bargains out there...
Back in 1978 Sheff. United (and many other English clubs) turned down the chance to sign Maradona for £150,000

WOLVES nearly signed Enzo Fernandez for just £17million - just seven months before his £107m Chelsea transfer.
The Argentine World Cup winner completed his British-record move from Benfica to Stamford Bridge on deadline day this week.

It will be interesting to see how Chelsea perform. They now have a squad made up entirely of players over the 50m mark, with 3 rated over 100m.

Koulibaly was pretty in demand on this forum; but he has looked pretty average in the prem. They seem to be still lacking a top striker, I wonder if the 110m Lukaku will return in the summer?

Of course, we cannot make further improvements to our squad until the likes of Lo Celso, Ndombele, Reguillon are sold - that should bank us 100m.....BUT, the rest of Europe isn't spending any money.

Newcastle have shown what confidence, desire and motivation can do to a squad without needing to buy Galatico's.
Bro...no ones paying 100m for locelso, dombelly and reguilon. It aint happening. Unless Reguilon transforms into Gareth Bale vs Inter.

Bro...no ones paying 100m for locelso, dombelly and reguilon. It aint happening. Unless Reguilon transforms into Gareth Bale vs Inter.
I don't think that's what Harry was trying to say. As I read it, we should be making roughly £100M off their sales, if the European clubs weren't all skint after the pandemic. As they are, they're not going to spending anywhere near that. So he'd probably agree with you that we'd be lucky to get around £50M for all 3, which is as well as I could see us doing from their sales.
That's how I read it anyway.

I don't think that's what Harry was trying to say. As I read it, we should be making roughly £100M off their sales, if the European clubs weren't all skint after the pandemic. As they are, they're not going to spending anywhere near that. So he'd probably agree with you that we'd be lucky to get around £50M for all 3, which is as well as I could see us doing from their sales.
That's how I read it anyway.

If Europe wasn't skint, we'd still have done well to even get 60m for the lot........ Even then you've got the quandry of anyone wanting actually pay any money for TN given his stupid wages.

There are bargains out there...
Back in 1978 Sheff. United (and many other English clubs) turned down the chance to sign Maradona for £150,000

WOLVES nearly signed Enzo Fernandez for just £17million - just seven months before his £107m Chelsea transfer.
The Argentine World Cup winner completed his British-record move from Benfica to Stamford Bridge on deadline day this week.

Realistically, Fernandez's value isn't 17 million but it sure doesn't seem like 107 million either.

To your point though, I agree that there are some real bargains out there, which is why I'm totally fine with us taking some gambles at times. A healthy mix of first-team ready acquisitions, youth, and promising players is probably the most ideal.

We've had some real misses in the past going after some potential bargains that didn't pan out, but Modric wasn't a world class midfielder when we bought him, Bale was just a kid who was showing some promise, and Son was doing okay but it wasn't like we were competing with Madrid to sign him.

Nah. Disagree. He's a fucking coward who throws people under the bus to divert spotlight from his own failings. Did it work for Ndombele? Did it work for Luke Shaw, Juan Mata? The poor cunt at Roma who he called a traitor for what?

The best football Ndombele played was for us was under Jose, and Jose praised him a lot during his final months here.
Shaw was a mistake sure, he fucked up on that one and should've handled it better. Juan Mata himself said that he understood why Jose let him go, and when they were re-united at Man Utd, Jose played Mata throughout his time there.
Karsdorp is too early to tell, however Roma fans say that Jose is right on that one (Karsdorp never looked that bad of a player to me to be honest).

Every manager has his fuck-ups, but for some reason only Mourinho is held under a microscope whenever he falls out with a player. Guardiola is as much of a cunt as him, maybe even more, and nobody seems to remember the treatment he gave to Abidal, Henry, Ibra, Toure, Cancelo lately etc. Even Poch fell out with Trippier spectacularly, to a point that Trippier refused to mention his name when talking about managers that he played under (he'd just moved to Atleti at the time I think). Not everyone is a Klopp (who I'm pretty sure has fallen out with one of his players as well in the past).

Many fans dislike José for his ways. I personally found him to be honest.
Ndombele, Shaw, Dele have all proven him right. There is a reason he has so much to show for his career.

Why must a manager kiss the arse of a player receiving in access of 50000 pounds a week. If I got paid that, I'd put my head down, do what Ive been told to do and enjoy every minute of it.

Many fans dislike José for his ways. I personally found him to be honest.
Ndombele, Shaw, Dele have all proven him right. There is a reason he has so much to show for his career.

Why must a manager kiss the arse of a player receiving in access of 50000 pounds a week. If I got paid that, I'd put my head down, do what Ive been told to do and enjoy every minute of it.

Publicly humiliating people who you have employment power/superiority over (and have little right to reply or publicly defend themselves) is fucking cowardly and is unlikely to achieve fuck all. If he doesn't rate a player then try to improve them by teaching them, if that doesn't work then don't fucking pick them.

Shaw's been really good since Mourinho fucked off, and has shown the tactical aptitude to play three different roles well. Rashford (Mourinho: "this is what happens when I play the players I don't normally pick") is playing at his best again.

His methods are failing. His Chelsea team fell apart, he failed miserably at ManU and Spurs and is now only doing par/sub par at Roma.

He's a wanker. A bully. An egotistical cunt who never takes responsibility for his own failings - everything is someone else's fault. Calling a player a "sick note" because he doesn't want to play with an injury. Getting a Physio sacked for doing her job and treating an injured player.

Publicly humiliating people who you have employment power/superiority over (and have little right to reply or publicly defend themselves) is fucking cowardly and is unlikely to achieve fuck all. If he doesn't rate a player then try to improve them by teaching them, if that doesn't work then don't fucking pick them.

Shaw's been really good since Mourinho fucked off, and has shown the tactical aptitude to play three different roles well. Rashford (Mourinho: "this is what happens when I play the players I don't normally pick") is playing at his best again.

His methods are failing. His Chelsea team fell apart, he failed miserably at ManU and Spurs and is now only doing par/sub par at Roma.

He's a wanker. A bully. An egotistical cunt who never takes responsibility for his own failings - everything is someone else's fault. Calling a player a "sick note" because he doesn't want to play with an injury. Getting a Physio sacked for doing her job and treating an injured player.
Jose is yesterday's man as a football coach, but as a wind-up merchant he's the troll god for all time.

Stan collymore said porro was an average player. Who let this tool on the airwaves.
Should have been cancelled in 98.

He was cancelled about 11/12 years ago............. They've snuck him back on TS quite recently for the occasional interview tho'.

They just brought the tosser Trevor Sinclair back too.

Back
Top Bottom