January 2023 Transfer Thread. The Big One

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was listening to a pod today and Tim Spears, the Spurs correspondent for the athletic, said he’d done some research on Danjuma and apparently he’s a bit of a wankhorn and has fallen out with various teammates and managers at other clubs, often refuses to track and press and work off the ball.
Yeah but is he a dandy wankhorn?

He won't last long with Conte if that's the case...

I genuinely can’t believe anyone would say that about a January window…
The theory was that players were reluctant to move in the summer for fear of hindering form and harming their chances of getting in their national squads.

I could buy that, but the notion that January would be artificially busier as a result didn't wash. January is January, always going to be a grind as it's mid season and clubs don't want to sell their good players.

The only affect the WC was ever going to have, if any, was to cause 2 crap TWs back to back.

Point is though, there's always an excuse if you want to find one.

At first, I thought this was a joke actually...

Gloria Motsoere | 01 February 2023 19:45

R1BN TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 'DEAL' WITH SA TOURISM IS IRRESPONSIBLE: BRAND AFRICA​

A news report says the Tourism Department is considering a R1 billion sponsorship deal with English football team Tottenham Hotspur

JOHANNESBURG - After reports that the Department of Tourism was considering an almost R1 billion sponsorship deal with an English football team, Brand Africa's chairperson Thebe Ikalafeng told 702 that the department’s alleged proposal would be irresponsible at this time.
The Daily Maverick reported on Tuesday night that the department, through Brand South Africa, was proposing sponsoring London-based football club, Tottenham Hotspur.
READ: Sisulu uninvolved in R1bn Tottenham Hotspur 'deal' with SA tourism, says Dept
Ikalafeng says the move could tarnish the country's reputation globally rather than attract more tourists to the country.
He adds that with high crime levels and regular power cuts, it may not be the right time for such a deal.
"They're going to come to South Africa, they're going to get robbed. They will come to South Africa, there will be load shedding, they will come to South Africa, and there will be crimes committed against them so what are we promoting?"
There have been mixed reactions to the story, with some members of the public saying it makes sense to sponsor a club that is seen by people from around the world due to the team and sport's popularity worldwide, as well as others saying it does not look good to spend that much money on a sponsorship when the country needs the money to deal with multiple crises in the country right now, despite it being already budgeted for.

My assertion is based on Spurs buying a 19 year old footballer with potential who had scored 22 goals in 106 games for Fulham and represented England at every level up to under 21.

Sadly for Sessengon, Spurs don't play in the Championship. He was at best unremarkable in his 1 EPL season with Fulham before he even came here.

Four years, five managers and one loan spell later and Spurs have a player who has scored 2 goals in 37 games.

Sessegnon has averaged less than 10 games a season up until this point in his Spurs career.

Firstly; that's not true.

Check his injury record (firstly) and mostly medicore-to-poor performances (secondarily) for why he may not have played more.......

That said in each of the last 3 seasons - even if you're counting per minute - he HAS played more than 10 games in each season.

22/23 - 1192mins. (in half a season!)
21/22 - 1421mins
20/21 - 1938mins (Germany)

As a 'regime enthusiast'

You sound like a dick saying shit like this rather than putting your energy into the point at hand, but if you think that helps; you go for it. 👍

I feel sure it suits your agenda to dismiss my view that at least half the blame for Sessegnon's failure to progress at Spurs is down to the way THFC have looked after him.

Equally, I think it suits you to just make sweeping unqualified statements that sidestep the simple facts of the matter and instead outright state that "sPuRs rUiNeD sEsSeNgOn".

Sessegnon has had a new manager, differing tactics and a revolving cast of team mates for four consecutive seasons.

How could any young player be expected to progress in that environment?

Plenty do..... This is the top echelon of the game; not a YTS,

- Mason Mount game up via loans and a bat-shit crazy parent club.
- Declan Rice became a talisman at a shite WH from a very early age.
- Rashford's been at a dysfunctional Man U his entire career.
- Closer to home.... Danny Rose had a torrid first few seasons yet came back from his Sunderland loan a man and a prospective England player.
- KWP seems to have done well for himself despite getting utterly deprived of game-time under Poch.
- ...And Skipp looks every inch the more comfortable player at this level.

Oliver Skipp has suffered a similar stagnation.

You mean Skipp who has also had extremely untimely injuries and a season out on loan, yet had gained favour with Conte before missing the remainder of the season.

The fact remains; Conte backed Sess and he's regressed since last season

Spurs have played their part in ruining Ryan Sessegnon.

Classic back-peddle.

........Of course, everything happens under the Spurs banner, so if one is hell-bent on wagging a finger somewhere; then there is but one direction..... BUT you originally sought to cast absolute blame because it's convenient to YOUR "agenda".

Last edited:
Sadly for Sessengon, Spurs don't play in the Championship. He was at best unremarkable in his 1 EPL season with Fulham before he even came here.

Firstly; that's not true.

Check his injury record (firstly) and mostly medicore-to-poor performances (secondarily) for why he may not have played more.......

That said in each of the last 3 seasons - even if you're counting per minute - he HAS played more than 10 games in each season.

22/23 - 1192mins. (in half a season!)
21/22 - 1421mins
20/21 - 1938mins (Germany)

You sound like a dick saying shit like this rather than putting your energy into the point at hand, but if you think that helps; you go for it. 👍

Equally, I think it suits you to just make sweeping unqualified statements that sidestep the simple facts of the matter and instead outright state that "sPuRs rUiNeD sEsSeNgOn".

Plenty do..... This is the top echelon of the game; not a YTS,

- Mason Mount game up via loans and a bat-shit crazy parent club.
- Declan Rice became a talisman at a shite WH from a very early age.
- Rashford's been at a dysfunctional Man U his entire career.
- Closer to home.... Danny Rose had a torrid first few seasons yet came back from his Sunderland loan a man and a prospective England player.
- KWP seems to have done well for himself despite getting utterly deprived of game-time under Poch.
- ...And Skipp looks every inch the more comfortable player at this level.

You mean Skipp who has also had extremely untimely injuries and a season out on loan, yet had gained favour with Conte before missing the remainder of the season.

The fact remains; Conte backed Sess and he's regressed since last season

Classic back-peddle.

........Of course, everything happens under the Spurs banner, so if one is hell-bent on wagging a finger somewhere; then there is but one directs..... BUT you originally sought to cast absolute blame because it's convenient to YOUR "agenda".
Wow

You're very enthusiastic about the regime aren't you.

I think I may know how we can settle this!

The theory was that players were reluctant to move in the summer for fear of hindering form and harming their chances of getting in their national squads.

I could buy that, but the notion that January would be artificially busier as a result didn't wash. January is January, always going to be a grind as it's mid season and clubs don't want to sell their good players.

The only affect the WC was ever going to have, if any, was to cause 2 crap TWs back to back.

Point is though, there's always an excuse if you want to find one.

Pre-world cup summer lots of players would have craved stability..... This isn't an outrageous concept.

I confess, I predicted a January window with lots of upheaval for all on the basis of the WC causing all sorts of fitness/injury chaos to club's squads; but evidently outside of Chelsea and more-so the rest of the world outside of the EPL everyone's skint.

(I still predict that the injury rate will spike in the coming months thanks to the WC and not having had a regularly structured season for 3 (?) years since before Covid..... Even before the WC; stats were up.)

However, none of this seeks to explain nor "excuse" how much Spurs did or didn't intend or indeed have to spend.

Last edited:
At first, I thought this was a joke actually...

A news report says the Tourism Department is considering a R1 billion sponsorship deal with English football team Tottenham Hotspur

JOHANNESBURG - After reports that the Department of Tourism was considering an almost R1 billion sponsorship deal with an English football team, Brand Africa's chairperson Thebe Ikalafeng told 702 that the department’s alleged proposal would be irresponsible at this time.
The Daily Maverick reported on Tuesday night that the department, through Brand South Africa, was proposing sponsoring London-based football club, Tottenham Hotspur.
READ: Sisulu uninvolved in R1bn Tottenham Hotspur 'deal' with SA tourism, says Dept
Ikalafeng says the move could tarnish the country's reputation globally rather than attract more tourists to the country.
He adds that with high crime levels and regular power cuts, it may not be the right time for such a deal.
"They're going to come to South Africa, they're going to get robbed. They will come to South Africa, there will be load shedding, they will come to South Africa, and there will be crimes committed against them so what are we promoting?"
There have been mixed reactions to the story, with some members of the public saying it makes sense to sponsor a club that is seen by people from around the world due to the team and sport's popularity worldwide, as well as others saying it does not look good to spend that much money on a sponsorship when the country needs the money to deal with multiple crises in the country right now, despite it being already budgeted for.
Why did you think it's a joke?
Goons have Visit Rwanda on their shirts.

Just watching we are tottenham tv and an irish guy raises a great point.

When Jose throws players under the bus, everyone hated him.
Now we have half a squad that need to be thrown under a bus and the coach stays fairly quiet.
Nobody criticized Jose for that. Most people criticized him for the style of play.

In my opinion, in hindsight, he was right (however I was way more lenient on him than most posters here).

Don’t forget, many Spurs fans on here and afar were calling that a 9/10 window, and chastising anyone who thought differently.
Doc had completely destroyed us with Wolves the season before (we lost 3-2) and was one of the best RWB in the League. PEH was a decent signing, especially for the fee, Reguilon had just come from a Europa League victory with Sevilla in which he was crucial and was voted the best LB in La Liga, and Bale was just Bale coming home.
There was reason to be excited back then for sure.

Nobody criticized Jose for that. Most people criticized him for the style of play.

In my opinion, in hindsight, he was right (however I was way more lenient on him than most posters here).

I did. It's a stupid and cunty thing to do. And he only does it to deflect criticism from himself.

It doesn't help the player to be humiliated, it doesn't help the team morale and it doesn't help the club for him devalue assets.

It's a fucking cowardly thing to do, and he's a cunt for doing it.

I did. It's a stupid and cunty thing to do. And he only does it to deflect criticism from himself.

It doesn't help the player to be humiliated, it doesn't help the team morale and it doesn't help the club for him devalue assets.

It's a fucking cowardly thing to do, and he's a cunt for doing it.
He criticized them because he wanted them to get better. He went out of his way and literally broke lockdown rules to try and make Ndombele run. It's no surprise that the most professional and workaholic players (Kane, Son, PEH) loved him.

Conte's treatment of Reguilon and Spence has been far worse than whatever Jose did at Spurs, Danny Rose aside.

He criticized them because he wanted them to get better. He went out of his way and literally broke lockdown rules to try and make Ndombele run. It's no surprise that the most professional and workaholic players (Kane, Son, PEH) loved him.

Conte's treatment of Reguilon and Spence has been far worse than whatever Jose did at Spurs, Danny Rose aside.

Nah. Disagree. He's a fucking coward who throws people under the bus to divert spotlight from his own failings. Did it work for Ndombele? Did it work for Luke Shaw, Juan Mata? The poor cunt at Roma who he called a traitor for what?

Nah. Disagree. He's a fucking coward who throws people under the bus to divert spotlight from his own failings. Did it work for Ndombele? Did it work for Luke Shaw, Juan Mata? The poor cunt at Roma who he called a traitor for what?
The best football Ndombele played was for us was under Jose, and Jose praised him a lot during his final months here.
Shaw was a mistake sure, he fucked up on that one and should've handled it better. Juan Mata himself said that he understood why Jose let him go, and when they were re-united at Man Utd, Jose played Mata throughout his time there.
Karsdorp is too early to tell, however Roma fans say that Jose is right on that one (Karsdorp never looked that bad of a player to me to be honest).

Every manager has his fuck-ups, but for some reason only Mourinho is held under a microscope whenever he falls out with a player. Guardiola is as much of a cunt as him, maybe even more, and nobody seems to remember the treatment he gave to Abidal, Henry, Ibra, Toure, Cancelo lately etc. Even Poch fell out with Trippier spectacularly, to a point that Trippier refused to mention his name when talking about managers that he played under (he'd just moved to Atleti at the time I think). Not everyone is a Klopp (who I'm pretty sure has fallen out with one of his players as well in the past).

I give the window 6/10 for getting a decent RWB, getting someone to challenge Son on the LW, and for off loading Doherty on loan.

-4 for not getting any CBs (as it stands now). I think if we ever use an AMF this season it will either be Kulusevski, Danjama, or Kane with Richarlison playing CF.

And we need a decent Keeper

Smart move to loan Gil. He is unhappy at being a bit part player and he can now prove himself.
We have Lucas, Danjuma and Richarlison in reserve.
Or in an emergency we have academy players.

Agreed but he needs to prove himself in the PL so a loan at Leeds or Palace etc might have been more beneficial for him and us

£14m pa for 3 years versus the £10m pa we get from Cinch.

So its a worthwhile increase in financial terms, but by itself it's not a game changer. But hopefully a number of sponsorships grow and in turn that means Spurs has more money in transfer windows. Obviously also helps if our talent spotting gets better too !

Last edited:
Get back inside and throw away any talk of common sense and rationale.

You would think we were 15th, didn't have 2 of the best goalscorers and returning players. We have barely as yet seen much of Richarlison, Bissouma or anything of the best Kulusevski.

Look at the style of play of Conte and posters should ask who was bought that we realistically could have acquired who would have fitted the model of Conte?

We spent in the summer and have now got 2 additions, one everyone was creaming about and the other we shall see.

If we play to potential we will be close to our objectives. That's down to Conte and the players but honestly reading the posts, you would think we should plunder 100 million pounds and then it would be that we should spend 150 million pounds.

Let's hope Porro and Danjuma have the impact of Kulusevski and Bentancur, then we are laughing.

It will be interesting to see how Chelsea perform. They now have a squad made up entirely of players over the 50m mark, with 3 rated over 100m.

Koulibaly was pretty in demand on this forum; but he has looked pretty average in the prem. They seem to be still lacking a top striker, I wonder if the 110m Lukaku will return in the summer?

Of course, we cannot make further improvements to our squad until the likes of Lo Celso, Ndombele, Reguillon are sold - that should bank us 100m.....BUT, the rest of Europe isn't spending any money.

Newcastle have shown what confidence, desire and motivation can do to a squad without needing to buy Galatico's.

£14m pa for 3 years versus the £10m pa we get from Cinch.

So its a worthwhile increase in financial terms, but by itself it's not a game changer. But hopefully a number of sponsorships grow and in turn that means Spurs has more money in transfer windows. Obviously also helps if our talent spotting gets better too !
There's a swiss ramble thread from like a year ago covering this kind of stuff. Spurs already have one of the highest commercial revenues in world football. IIRC, we've overtaken woolwich in this area.

Back
Top Bottom