In defence of Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm sure some would still push back for old 'Azza - even in the Championship next season where he truly belongs

:harrylol:

What are you suggesting that a certain manager buys one of the players he used to work with back. Harry would never do a thing like that.
:harrysmile:

Players have too much power today, end of. Spurs lurching from one manager to another, undermines anybody with a similar up-and-coming (I call it unproven) profile that takes over and we're in that boat again.
Unless you have an LVG, Fergie, Jose or equally big name then it'll happen with us every time, until the squad is overhauled to get rid of the 'rot'.
The big problem now is, we've gone from 3-4 truly world class players in Ledley, Modric, VDV and Bale to one in Lloris. Verts and Ade can be occasionally but so could others on the odd day, both then and now. There will be no big net out-lay and, now we have to stick with a manager through a big transition not even knowing that he's any good. Sorry but there is nothing to see so far that shows he is the right choice so it is a bigger gamble than ever now given we really need to stick with and back him.
We have only convinced against QPR and struggled or lost against 5-6 sides that couldn't buy a goal let alone a win!!! Liverpool have struggled, scraped or lost in every game this season apart from one, guess who that was. Our form and form-line is terrible, it does not look like suddenly coming together when there's not an obvious first XI or dominant system either.

Dont forget winning at Porto in another two team league with a team he inherited....
That's a very simple and unfair assessment, which I will come back to in my response to Smoked Salmon.

I suppose you can say from a business model we have done well in terms of keeping our spending quite low.
Argh, so frustrating. Our spending isn't low, our net spend is low. There's a MASSIVE difference. We've sold some world class players that we were extremely fortunate to have in the first place, we were not in a position to hold onto them, whether we were in the CL or not. Real Madrid purchased two of them. Anyone who thinks we could have retained Bale or Modric is lacking in brain capacity. We got great fees for them, and they bankrolled the next generation. We spent the money earned, plus a bit more, but out of necessity. It seems some here would simply be pleased to see us spend £200m just because we made £120m. That is madness. Spending for the sake of it just to make our net spend look more in tune with the clubs above us so then we can at least say we tried. Ridiculous.

In regards to buying, Levy is not the guy scouting these players, he just sanctions the purchases - as he should. Anyone who thinks he's picking players for the squad are eluded. That is not his job, and he knows it.

Of course he'll back him; with the funds gained from any players sold. That's all Levy does, while pocketing the TV money.
Yep, that £400,000,000 stadium will be paid for by stationery and pie sales :llorishuh:

Ramos - hired after short term success, no other notable achievements, asked to work with a DOF
AVB - hired based on short term success at Porto, no other notable achievements, asked to work with DOF
Sherwood - cheat interim appointment hired despite no notable achievements, asked to work with DOF
Poch - hired based on short term success at Southampton, no other notable achievements beyond moving Espanyol up a few league positions, asked to work with a DOF. So far, Poch achieving less then his two predecessors
Actually I think the commonality is gambling on a recently successful manager (however you want to portray 'successful' (De Boer would have been another example of this)) as we are not a large enough club to attract top managers. We simply have no option but to take a chance on these guys, or go 'safe' with someone like Pulis, Redknapp or Hoddle.

Going back to AVB (earlier in my post) I think that is a very simplistic and insulting review of AVB's career. He worked under Mourinho - one of the most successful managers of our time - for many years, before branching out to take on relegation-bound Academica. After not only saving them from relegation but doing so with an attractive style, he was hired by Porto, where he then went unbeaten in the league (only the SECOND manager to do so (winning by a massive 20 points)) and won the treble, including the EL (which would undoubtedly be an amazing achievement for Spurs). All this, at just 33 years old. Several members of that squad would have been older than him, yet his achievements were quite incredible really, owing to the fact that he was hired by Chelsea, a Champions League heavyweight.

I don't care what you think of the Portuguese League, going unbeaten is incredible, and the treble in the same season equally so.

I don't wish to get into the other managers here, nor do I want a Harry vs AVB thread (again!) but I just wanted to point out that AVB's career, for a very young manager, has been pretty fucking good so far. Sure, he failed at Chelsea and was sacked by us (I still believe to be the wrong decision) but he's been resilient and is rebuilding his career at Zenit. Fair play to him. Look at Ramos, now a free agent after leaving Dnipro.

With regards to the article, I think it was a good read and made some fair and valid points from a point of view (and one that I generally agree with) that is certainly in the minority now. Anyone that simply chooses to dismiss it as bullshit clearly isn't going to help the club move forward in a proactive manner as you need to understand both sides of the argument and everyone's feelings on the way the club is run.

Argh, so frustrating. Our spending isn't low, our net spend is low. There's a MASSIVE difference. We've sold some world class players that we were extremely fortunate to have in the first place, we were not in a position to hold onto them, whether we were in the CL or not. Real Madrid purchased two of them. Anyone who thinks we could have retained Bale or Modric is lacking in brain capacity. We got great fees for them, and they bankrolled the next generation. We spent the money earned, plus a bit more, but out of necessity. It seems some here would simply be pleased to see us spend £200m just because we made £120m. That is madness. Spending for the sake of it just to make our net spend look more in tune with the clubs above us so then we can at least say we tried. Ridiculous.

In regards to buying, Levy is not the guy scouting these players, he just sanctions the purchases - as he should. Anyone who thinks he's picking players for the squad are eluded. That is not his job, and he knows it.

Low net spending was kind of implied although perhaps I should have been clearer on that point. I am not talking about spending for the sake of spending I am talking about going that extra mile for the manager, Joao Moutinho for example under AVB. If we hire a manager particularly a manager with a particularly philosophy as it were you need to give the guy the tools to do the job, where it's Levy or Baldini making the decisions the final say should really be with the manager, I do not know whether the articles below are correct of the many articles about Levy overruling our managers are.

Our squad is bloated, anyone can see that, we look as if we favour depth over quality. The good from this is that we have a lot of players to sell to raise the cash to buy the players Poch may want, but Poch must be in the driving seat in terms of sanctioning players coming and going and we shouldn't be afraid of spending an extra 5-10-15 million if it means a quality upgrade on what we have.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2526099/Andre-Villas-Boas-wanted-sign-Hulk-David-Villa-Joao-Moutinho-Spurs-did-not-want-four-seven-summer-signings.html
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/356633/AVB-wanted-Hulk-Moutinho-and-Villa-at-Spurs-not-Lamela-Chadli-Eriksen-and-Chiriches

Low net spending was kind of implied although perhaps I should have been clearer on that point. I am not talking about spending for the sake of spending I am talking about going that extra mile for the manager, Joao Moutinho for example under AVB. If we hire a manager particularly a manager with a particularly philosophy as it were you need to give the guy the tools to do the job, where it's Levy or Baldini making the decisions the final say should really be with the manager, I do not know whether the articles below are correct of the many articles about Levy overruling our managers are.

Our squad is bloated, anyone can see that, we look as if we favour depth over quality. The good from this is that we have a lot of players to sell to raise the cash to buy the players Poch may want, but Poch must be in the driving seat in terms of sanctioning players coming and going and we shouldn't be afraid of spending an extra 5-10-15 million if it means a quality upgrade on what we have.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2526099/Andre-Villas-Boas-wanted-sign-Hulk-David-Villa-Joao-Moutinho-Spurs-did-not-want-four-seven-summer-signings.html
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/356633/AVB-wanted-Hulk-Moutinho-and-Villa-at-Spurs-not-Lamela-Chadli-Eriksen-and-Chiriches
I take your point, and agree the squad is bloated. What we seem to lack that most other teams don't is the ability to replace players like for like in the same system. When we get an injury or rotation, the role of the incoming player is different, for example Kane in behind rather than Eriksen, Lennon on the right not Townsend, Stambouli rather than Mason - they are not similar players yet drop into the same positions.

With regards to the links at the end, whilst our 7 signings have not exactly shone so far, there is no doubt in my mind that Villa, Hulk and Moutinho would have equally have struggled to adapt.

Villa is now a NYC player. He would have been a short term solution at best otherwise a better club would have snapped him up, and he hardly lit up La Liga in his season with Atletico.

Hulk is grossly overrated in my opinion. I have seen nothing of him that made me think he'd make it in the Premier League, and the World Cup reaffirmed my opinion of him. For people saying AVB has only been successfully in sub-standard leagues...

Moutinho is not the answer to our problems, he is not the missing link in our team, not by a long shot. I'd take Eriksen at £12m over Moutinho at £25-30m every time. I cannot fathom how he is worth that money, and again, he would be at a better club were he a better player. He was influential in the World Cup, and again like Hulk, is yet to prove anything in one of Europe's top leagues. He'd have been as much as a gamble as Lamela or Pauli were.

... Redknapp didn't want VdV, Levy did...

I don't think this is true.

The day after we signed VdV Redknapp gave an interview to TalkSport where he said Levy had been approached by Madrid asking if we wanted him after the transfer to another club failed (cant remember the club, think somewhere in Italy?).

Redknapp then said Levy phoned him and asked if he wanted us to sign him.

I don't think this is true.

The day after we signed VdV Redknapp gave an interview to TalkSport where he said Levy had been approached by Madrid asking if we wanted him after the transfer to another club failed (cant remember the club, think somewhere in Italy?).

Redknapp then said Levy phoned him and asked if he wanted us to sign him.
The quote I remember was that Levy phoned Redknapp and told him that "I've bought you a present." People other than Redknapp have said it was Levy's decision, Redknapp says it was his. Probably it is somewhere in-between. I still think the central point I was making remains true though. Harry Redknapp has a history of exceptionally bad transfer dealings across 3 clubs, and a club should not let him have control over the process.

I take your point, and agree the squad is bloated. What we seem to lack that most other teams don't is the ability to replace players like for like in the same system. When we get an injury or rotation, the role of the incoming player is different, for example Kane in behind rather than Eriksen, Lennon on the right not Townsend, Stambouli rather than Mason - they are not similar players yet drop into the same positions.

With regards to the links at the end, whilst our 7 signings have not exactly shone so far, there is no doubt in my mind that Villa, Hulk and Moutinho would have equally have struggled to adapt.

Villa is now a NYC player. He would have been a short term solution at best otherwise a better club would have snapped him up, and he hardly lit up La Liga in his season with Atletico.

Hulk is grossly overrated in my opinion. I have seen nothing of him that made me think he'd make it in the Premier League, and the World Cup reaffirmed my opinion of him. For people saying AVB has only been successfully in sub-standard leagues...

Moutinho is not the answer to our problems, he is not the missing link in our team, not by a long shot. I'd take Eriksen at £12m over Moutinho at £25-30m every time. I cannot fathom how he is worth that money, and again, he would be at a better club were he a better player. He was influential in the World Cup, and again like Hulk, is yet to prove anything in one of Europe's top leagues. He'd have been as much as a gamble as Lamela or Pauli were.

If Levy wasn't convinced of AVB's choices then it does make you wonder why we choose him in the first place, although that being said he did work with two of those players before and therefore must have thought them able to fit his plans. When I think about Poch I really hope we made the right choice with him but without the chairmans full backing its hard to tell as his plan may never come off the way he wanted. I guess my point is back the manager, get some stability and direction and hope that leads to better quality football long term.

If Levy wasn't convinced of AVB's choices then it does make you wonder why we choose him in the first place, although that being said he did work with two of those players before and therefore must have thought them able to fit his plans. When I think about Poch I really hope we made the right choice with him but without the chairmans full backing its hard to tell as his plan may never come off the way he wanted. I guess my point is back the manager, get some stability and direction and hope that leads to better quality football long term.
Hulk was purchased for 60 millon Euros, and on around 100,000 Euros/week. That is silly money for a relatively unproven player, particularly for a club of our size.

"But then I bought Lamela!" :levylol:

:avbshock:

Hulk was purchased for 60 millon Euros, and on around 100,000 Euros/week. That is silly money for a relatively unproven player, particularly for a club of our size.

"But then I bought Lamela!" :levylol:

:avbshock:
I honestly think Lamela over Hulk was the correct choice, even allowing for the difference in where they are career-wise.

I think AVB is like Harry Redknapp. He has one schtick that works with one group of guys, and rather than figuring it out, just wants to do the same thing everywhere he goes. He couldn't recreate Porto at Spurs, but Zenit have just about done it for him.

To be fair, there is a standard procedure for current and ex-Tottenham managers:

TRANSFER.png

Back
Top Bottom