In defence of Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Actually I do apologise to the op for that. Sorry. Everyone has a right to say what they want.

I just thought it was aimed at winding people up.

Seems to be the general arguement is that Levy has made a lot of fucks ups in terms of players/managers and his controlling nature but most are happy for him to stay simply because it's better than taking the risk of a Glazer cunt turning up?
I think it's a lot of people projecting narratives onto events, but no one really knows the why of the thing, and we're all simply arguing our own pet theories.

I think it's a lot of people projecting narratives onto events, but no one really knows the why of the thing, and we're all simply arguing our own pet theories.

That's probably because levy keeps his cards close to his arsehole and it seems we don't get much other than clues from the likes of past managers about the state of play in the Ivory tower.

However it does seem odd having a lower net spend than the likes of hull and West Ham and all the coming and goings of managers and players, we certainly are run differently than most clubs.

justin justin - while AVB would destroy the Russian League and play Champions League football AGAIN next season. Guess who'll go on to be the more successful manager.

In your own time, son

Zenit finished 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd in the past 4 years. It's not hard to "destroy the Russian League" when you're one of the richest clubs in the world, spending £20 million in the summer. CSKA Moscow are their main rivals, they spent £163,000 in transfer this summer. Some achievement that :llorishuh:

The fact a supposedly class manager got sacked twice, lost the squad twice and then ran off to Russia says everything :pochbye:

Zenit finished 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd in the past 4 years. It's not hard to "destroy the Russian League" when you're one of the richest clubs in the world, spending £20 million in the summer. CSKA Moscow are their main rivals, they spent £163,000 in transfer this summer. Some achievement that :llorishuh:

The fact a supposedly class manager got sacked twice, lost the squad twice and then ran off to Russia says everything :pochbye:

Dont forget winning at Porto in another two team league with a team he inherited....

Not sure why it matters to people if AVB proves to be a better manager in Russia than he was here. He could win the quadruple at Zenit for all I care.

How will that mean he was better than Redknapp for Tottenham?

Spot on jayc1....but it's pointless trying to point this out to people like him.
You could sit down, explain it slowly, draw a picture on a blackboard...it just doesn't
compute.

In regards to Levy, he cut the character and direction out of this club when he sacked Redknapp. But AVB had to go, so he somewhat rectified that mistake.

For all Levys faults, he does understand what the club should represent on the pitch in terms of style of play. Now he has to let Poch implement that.

That's probably because levy keeps his cards close to his arsehole and it seems we don't get much other than clues from the likes of past managers about the state of play in the Ivory tower.

However it does seem odd having a lower net spend than the likes of hull and West Ham and all the coming and goings of managers and players, we certainly are run differently than most clubs.
We've been run differently for a whole lot of reasons. Looking at net spend from an aribitrary starting point, or gross spend, or any single number, won't explain why though.

We've been run differently for a whole lot of reasons. Looking at net spend from an aribitrary starting point, or gross spend, or any single number, won't explain why though.

I suppose you can say from a business model we have done well in terms of keeping our spending quite low. My arguement would be that spending that bit more to provide the extra quality gets you more points which gets you EL or CL football and kind of pays for itself, I do wish we where a little more ambitious, I really hope Levy backs Poch in Jan.

I suppose you can say from a business model we have done well in terms of keeping our spending quite low. My arguement would be that spending that bit more to provide the extra quality gets you more points which gets you EL or CL football and kind of pays for itself, I do wish we where a little more ambitious, I really hope Levy backs Poch in Jan.

Of course he'll back him; with the funds gained from any players sold. That's all Levy does, while pocketing the TV money.

But is it spending a little more, or a lot more? The difference between Spurs resources and those above them is pretty large, as is the difference in wage bills. The difference isn't really something that an extra 20 million fixes. It's a much larger gap than that.

There are consistencies though that we can look at. The OP's article is very rosy in it's take on managerial appointments. For instance, he states that Ramos was hot shit when he was hired. Well, I certainly wasn't convinced of that at the time. One quick look at his record showed that he'd had a totally mediocre managerial career for years until his cup[ wins at Sevilla. What's the commonality? Well....

Ramos - hired after short term success, no other notable achievements, asked to work with a DOF
AVB - hired based on short term success at Porto, no other notable achievements, asked to work with DOF
Sherwood - cheat interim appointment hired despite no notable achievements, asked to work with DOF
Poch - hired based on short term success at Southampton, no other notable achievements beyond moving Espanyol up a few league positions, asked to work with a DOF. So far, Poch achieving less then his two predecessors

There's a running theme here isn't there?

Contrast this to Redknapp who was allowed to work under a less continental system and given more direct involvement in team affairs and signings - best ever finishes. When Redknapp was sacked I took the view that we should only get rid if a better manager was going to come in and push further. I don't consider AVB and upgrade, more of a lateral move....and so far neither Sherweasel or Poch have proved to be an improvement on AVB. We'll see what Poch can deliver over the coming months, but I think there needs to be questions over Levy's managerial and transfer philosophies as so far none of the "progression" according to his preferred model have been runaway successes.

While Levy might well be praised for the financial stability, the training ground and the stadium, when it finally materialises, his footballing decisions have been highly debatable. I don't think it's a case of people putting a spin on it. I think there are legitimate mistakes that have been made, and owning to certain repetitions, the question of how much Levy learns from past errors must be asked.

But is it spending a little more, or a lot more? The difference between Spurs resources and those above them is pretty large, as is the difference in wage bills. The difference isn't really something that an extra 20 million fixes. It's a much larger gap than that.

There have been several Januarys where we needed one striker to really push on. We were 2nd in the league during Redknapps reign at one point, his last season. A new striker in January would have really helped.

He wanted Remy for years, we didn't get him. As soon as he moved to QPR he got him, now he's a Chelsea player which just shows his quality. He could have been ours two years ago for 8-10 million. Maybe we'd have finished third (Maybe higher? Who knows) and then the transfer would have paid for itself in CL money.

Levy keeps his wallet shut when he needs to spend, and then splurges it poorly when we don't need to spend. Guys a complete tool when it comes to money and transfers. Wouldn't surprise me this Jan if we bought no one.

There have been several Januarys where we needed one striker to really push on. We were 2nd in the league during Redknapps reign at one point, his last season. A new striker in January would have really helped.

He wanted Remy for years, we didn't get him. As soon as he moved to QPR he got him, now he's a Chelsea player which just shows his quality. He could have been ours two years ago for 8-10 million. Maybe we'd have finished third (Maybe higher? Who knows) and then the transfer would have paid for itself in CL money.

Levy keeps his wallet shut when he needs to spend, and then splurges it poorly when we don't need to spend. Guys a complete tool when it comes to money and transfers. Wouldn't surprise me this Jan if we bought no one.

No, we'll buy at least one midfielder.

We like midfielders. I shall give an example.

Summer 14/15 - Stambouli
Winter 13/14 - No one (Sherwood no signy)
Summer 13/14 - Paulinho, Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela
Winter 12/13 - Holtby
Summer 12/13 - Siggy, Dembele,
Winter 11/12 - Falque
Summer 11/12 - Parker
Winter 10/11 - Pienaar
Summer 10/11 - VDV/Sandro
Summer 09/10 - Kranjcar
Winter 08/09 - Palacios
Summer 08/09 - Modric/Dos Santos/Bentley

Weird shit huh, out of the last 14 windows we have signed at least 1 midfielder in 12 of them.

Back
Top Bottom