In defence of Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There have been several Januarys where we needed one striker to really push on. We were 2nd in the league during Redknapps reign at one point, his last season. A new striker in January would have really helped.

He wanted Remy for years, we didn't get him. As soon as he moved to QPR he got him, now he's a Chelsea player which just shows his quality. He could have been ours two years ago for 8-10 million. Maybe we'd have finished third (Maybe higher? Who knows) and then the transfer would have paid for itself in CL money.

Levy keeps his wallet shut when he needs to spend, and then splurges it poorly when we don't need to spend. Guys a complete tool when it comes to money and transfers. Wouldn't surprise me this Jan if we bought no one.
If he's a complete tool why did he bring in Van der Vart? Or sanction any of the other successful transfers we've had? People are very eager to hang every single failure around his neck, but not every success. Redknapp didn't want VdV, Levy did. Should Levy have listened to 'arry over that one? Redknapp asked for a lot of players during his time. Some worked. Many didn't. His subsequent and prior clubs all showed that letting Harry make all the choices without very careful limits was a road to certain disaster.

I agree that we perhaps should have made a move for a striker at that point. We don't know though who Redknapp asked for, beyond possibly Remy, we don't know if we actually made an approach and we rebuffed, and we don't know if there were other choices Redknapp failed to ask for. We could have had Suarez, but Redknapp wasn't keen. Good move in retrospect?

It's very easy to make absolutist judgements using hindsight and assumptions based on a couple of facts, but lacking most of the details. We don't know what was going on inside the club, we don't know who really asked for what, and we don't know what other clubs do either. That's an awful lot of don't knows to be claiming anyone is a complete tool.

If he's a complete tool why did he bring in Van der Vart? Or sanction any of the other successful transfers we've had? People are very eager to hang every single failure around his neck, but not every success. Redknapp didn't want VdV, Levy did. Should Levy have listened to 'arry over that one? Redknapp asked for a lot of players during his time. Some worked. Many didn't. His subsequent and prior clubs all showed that letting Harry make all the choices without very careful limits was a road to certain disaster.

I agree that we perhaps should have made a move for a striker at that point. We don't know though who Redknapp asked for, beyond possibly Remy, we don't know if we actually made an approach and we rebuffed, and we don't know if there were other choices Redknapp failed to ask for. We could have had Suarez, but Redknapp wasn't keen. Good move in retrospect?

It's very easy to make absolutist judgements using hindsight and assumptions based on a couple of facts, but lacking most of the details. We don't know what was going on inside the club, we don't know who really asked for what, and we don't know what other clubs do either. That's an awful lot of don't knows to be claiming anyone is a complete tool.

Look no further than QPR for an unrestrained Redknapp!

People seem to blame Levy for 'forcing' Harry to sign Nelson & Saha and so on, but I'm quite sure Harry intentionally went for them.

Between Levy, Baldini, Comolli, Redknapp and AVB we've had some good signings and some shit signings, no one gets it right all the time.

I'm sure some would still push back for old 'Azza - even in the Championship next season where he truly belongs

:harrylol:

Zenit finished 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd in the past 4 years. It's not hard to "destroy the Russian League" when you're one of the richest clubs in the world, spending £20 million in the summer. CSKA Moscow are their main rivals, they spent £163,000 in transfer this summer. Some achievement that :llorishuh:

The fact a supposedly class manager got sacked twice, lost the squad twice and then ran off to Russia says everything :pochbye:
He never lost the squad - weasel cunt players undermined him - even Cashley said as much few weeks back

He'll go on to have a glittering career as one of Europe's top managers while the other will keep on asking his dog to open off-shore bank accounts for him and blame every man and his dog for his bad results

People seem to blame Levy for 'forcing' Harry to sign Nelson & Saha and so on, but I'm quite sure Harry intentionally went for them.
It's worth remembering that not only was Harry being touted for the England job during that window, but his trial was about to be heard. I think those signings were caution on Levy's part through not wanting to risk spending on players that might not be sought by the next manager should Harry have either been jailed or left for a new job. I don't think that was necessarily the right approach, but I understand it if that's what happened.

There are consistencies though that we can look at. The OP's article is very rosy in it's take on managerial appointments. For instance, he states that Ramos was hot shit when he was hired. Well, I certainly wasn't convinced of that at the time. One quick look at his record showed that he'd had a totally mediocre managerial career for years until his cup[ wins at Sevilla. What's the commonality? Well....

Ramos - hired after short term success, no other notable achievements, asked to work with a DOF
AVB - hired based on short term success at Porto, no other notable achievements, asked to work with DOF
Sherwood - cheat interim appointment hired despite no notable achievements, asked to work with DOF
Poch - hired based on short term success at Southampton, no other notable achievements beyond moving Espanyol up a few league positions, asked to work with a DOF. So far, Poch achieving less then his two predecessors

There's a running theme here isn't there?

Contrast this to Redknapp who was allowed to work under a less continental system and given more direct involvement in team affairs and signings - best ever finishes. When Redknapp was sacked I took the view that we should only get rid if a better manager was going to come in and push further. I don't consider AVB and upgrade, more of a lateral move....and so far neither Sherweasel or Poch have proved to be an improvement on AVB. We'll see what Poch can deliver over the coming months, but I think there needs to be questions over Levy's managerial and transfer philosophies as so far none of the "progression" according to his preferred model have been runaway successes.

While Levy might well be praised for the financial stability, the training ground and the stadium, when it finally materialises, his footballing decisions have been highly debatable. I don't think it's a case of people putting a spin on it. I think there are legitimate mistakes that have been made, and owning to certain repetitions, the question of how much Levy learns from past errors must be asked.
Perhaps. I would argue though, that each situation should be considered in turn, and we need to ask a question if there really is a pattern in this case. In terms of hiring new managers, we are not alone in giving the reigns to relatively unproven candidates. A certain Jose Mourinho took over at Chelsea after a year at Porto. Guardiola was internally promoted at Barcelona. It is not only us that have done this, and results have actually shown that there is merit in giving young managers a chance.

In each case at Spurs, we should look at the reasons for hiring, and the firing (if the case, of the previous candidate). With Jol, we had a popular manager who seemed to be doing things correctly. We don't know what the internal situation was like, but at the time, it didn't seem like there was much need for a change. Ramos seemed to be hired on the same logic I described earlier. I think the problem was an inability to see the difference between process and results. That is, Ramos had achieved good results at Sevilla, but we didn't look at the process he'd used to achieve them, and if that could be transferred to Spurs. Levy was definitely incorrect in that it couldn't be transferred (if there actually was a solid process involved) and we paid a price.

Redknapp was clearly the right choice at the right time to fix things, but it wasn't all roses. He was tactically limited, didn't make effective use of the full squad, and was not someone who could be afforded all of the control he wanted. Redknapp wouldn't work with a DoF, but clearly cannot be allowed to make his own choices, as he will overspend on players with very little return on the pitch. It's pretty telling that the key members of the Redknapp squads were all players found before he got there, or by Levy.

We all know why he was fired, and really, I cannot disagree. He dropped the ball mightily at a key moment, and then behaved in a really distasteful way. Not the kind of person I'd want around.

AVB was a gamble, but the logic behind it was based on some pretty clear ideas. We wanted a young manager to be with us for several years, building the team and organization around a single philosophy. He talked a good game, and it seemed like the issue at Chelsea was more a player power problem than anything else.

Unfortunately, Gareth Bale hid the reality that AVB's rhetoric and game plans didn't match up, which became clear last year. It also showed the serious folly in attempting to radically change playing style while retaining mostly the same squad. The players we had were never going to work in a Bielsista system, and we're seeing that repeated again this year. That being said, I don't think AVB was sacked by Levy. One thing that's been clear is that when Daniel takes action, he does it quickly, and thoroughly. Nothing is rushed before the plan is in place. AVB's exit though, did not fit that model. There was no replacement ready. There was no plan. Instead there was Tim Sherwood. I think AVB jumped after facing some hard questions, and THFC were left with little choice.

Now we're in an odd place. We have a disorganized franken-squad rife with factions and varying levels of commitment and a new manager with a very particular style of play who relies on the team buying into the ideas and following the plan with full commitment on the pitch.

I think Daniel Levy could be accused of making several mistakes, but I am not sure they are the same ones he usually gets accused of by the English media. I think the failure to ensure consistency between the squad's abilities and the manager's preferred style of play is the main reason we are in the position we're in. That's partly down to recruiting the wrong players, and partly the wrong managers (AVB was emphatically the wrong choice after Redknapp). I think he's been really poor at publicly articulating what the plans of the club were, and this is the main point of disconnect between the club and the fans. And I think he's failed to invest effectively in all the needed backroom infrastructure. We needed much better scouting and recruiting efforts to be able to maximize our funds, given our limitations. Without that, we failed to effectively replace or upgrade key positions, and that's left us with the current mess.

Thankfully, I think we're addressing those issues, but it'll be at least 2 years before we really see the result of that.

At least that's where I see things.

If a blind man has enough bullets, he's eventually gonna hit someone. Comparing him to Redknapp is pointless. My point isn't that Redknapp was a god, but that Levy fucks up time and time and time again, whether managers or players or destroying our scouting system.

If a blind man has enough bullets, he's eventually gonna hit someone. Comparing him to Redknapp is pointless. My point isn't that Redknapp was a god, but that Levy fucks up time and time and time again, whether managers or players or destroying our scouting system.
And I question the use of the term fucks up. I don't think we have enough details to evaluate that, and the more I think about it, unless we compare our situation to every other club in the Premier League over the same time period, I don't think we can make much comment of any kind. You're very eager to assign blame for mistakes, not too eager to give praise, and don't seem to want to look at other perspectives.

That's you're right, but it doesn't make you right, if you follow. We're fans, following a club which we like. The people we're talking about though, do this for a living, at a high level. Pub-level #hottakes sound nice, but don't really have any relation to professional football.

Perhaps. I would argue though, that each situation should be considered in turn, and we need to ask a question if there really is a pattern in this case. In terms of hiring new managers, we are not alone in giving the reigns to relatively unproven candidates. A certain Jose Mourinho took over at Chelsea after a year at Porto. Guardiola was internally promoted at Barcelona. It is not only us that have done this, and results have actually shown that there is merit in giving young managers a chance.
Jose managed two teams before taking the Porto job, and had been a assistant manager before that. He then won the Champions League. The record can't be boasted by of our "next big thing" appointments. As for Guardiola, he was an exception to the norm who has always had top, top talent at his disposal. I hope you're not comparing Sherwood to him. Ramos had managed for about a decade before his success at Sevilla. Each job up until then had been a failure.

In each case at Spurs, we should look at the reasons for hiring, and the firing (if the case, of the previous candidate).
Well, I did just that. All of the appointments, bar Redknapp, were based on the manager being the next big thing.
With Jol, we had a popular manager who seemed to be doing things correctly.
Jol wasn't recruited as manager. I think people forget that.
We don't know what the internal situation was like, but at the time, it didn't seem like there was much need for a change. Ramos seemed to be hired on the same logic I described earlier. I think the problem was an inability to see the difference between process and results. That is, Ramos had achieved good results at Sevilla, but we didn't look at the process he'd used to achieve them, and if that could be transferred to Spurs. Levy was definitely incorrect in that it couldn't be transferred (if there actually was a solid process involved) and we paid a price.
What we know is that during these periods there was the commonality of the continental system.

Redknapp was clearly the right choice at the right time to fix things, but it wasn't all roses. He was tactically limited, didn't make effective use of the full squad, and was not someone who could be afforded all of the control he wanted. Redknapp wouldn't work with a DoF, but clearly cannot be allowed to make his own choices, as he will overspend on players with very little return on the pitch. It's pretty telling that the key members of the Redknapp squads were all players found before he got there, or by Levy.
That was more down to us having a more effective scouting policy then than we have now (at least according to Comolli), but that doesn't mean that Redknapp was hopeless at his job.

We all know why he was fired, and really, I cannot disagree. He dropped the ball mightily at a key moment, and then behaved in a really distasteful way. Not the kind of person I'd want around.
See, I find this highly debatable. Yes, there are undoubtedly questions over the downturn in form, but when you're constantly linking in the press to your dream job, and the players are also reading loads of stories about the manager leaving, the that uncertainty was going to be there come what may and I think that Redknapp didn't drop the ball as much as is alleged. After all his task was top four and he delivered. Nobody has been able to since. So "dropping the ball" is relative.

AVB was a gamble, but the logic behind it was based on some pretty clear ideas. We wanted a young manager to be with us for several years, building the team and organization around a single philosophy. He talked a good game, and it seemed like the issue at Chelsea was more a player power problem than anything else.
Yet he fell out with players at THFC as well, and let his own pride get the better of him. It's also been said that he was unhappy at not getting the players he wanted. If the latter is true then that's not the manager's fault.

Unfortunately, Gareth Bale hid the reality that AVB's rhetoric and game plans didn't match up, which became clear last year. It also showed the serious folly in attempting to radically change playing style while retaining mostly the same squad. The players we had were never going to work in a Bielsista system, and we're seeing that repeated again this year.
Seeing it again this year. Indeed. There are a lot of notable similarities between AVB and Poch.....so that inevitably leads to the question of why Levy has hired a manager of potentially the same school of thought. Surely that's a question of the manager possibly not learning from his mistakes rather than it is maybe of Poch not being up to scruff?

That being said, I don't think AVB was sacked by Levy. One thing that's been clear is that when Daniel takes action, he does it quickly, and thoroughly. Nothing is rushed before the plan is in place. AVB's exit though, did not fit that model. There was no replacement ready. There was no plan. Instead there was Tim Sherwood. I think AVB jumped after facing some hard questions, and THFC were left with little choice.
The rumour mill on this one is all over the place. The official line is "mutual consent". One of the rumours suggests that AVB basically went in and said "I'm not happy and am prepared to go if we can reach an agreement". Who knows? *shrug*

Now we're in an odd place. We have a disorganized franken-squad rife with factions and varying levels of commitment and a new manager with a very particular style of play who relies on the team buying into the ideas and following the plan with full commitment on the pitch.
Surely what we needed was a manager who has more flexibility to adapt to what he has rather than trying to implement a very rigid style of play. Like you said above, this was the problem with AVB. Again, one has to look to Levy for trying to repeat that experiment all over again, this time with, so far, more dire results. It's all very well saying that Poch needs time and his own players, but we know that AVB never got the players he wanted, so how do we now that Poch will be given the tools he needs to do his job? Again, the buck must stop at Levy for these decisions.

I think Daniel Levy could be accused of making several mistakes, but I am not sure they are the same ones he usually gets accused of by the English media. I think the failure to ensure consistency between the squad's abilities and the manager's preferred style of play is the main reason we are in the position we're in. That's partly down to recruiting the wrong players, and partly the wrong managers (AVB was emphatically the wrong choice after Redknapp). I think he's been really poor at publicly articulating what the plans of the club were, and this is the main point of disconnect between the club and the fans. And I think he's failed to invest effectively in all the needed backroom infrastructure. We needed much better scouting and recruiting efforts to be able to maximize our funds, given our limitations. Without that, we failed to effectively replace or upgrade key positions, and that's left us with the current mess.
I don't disagree with the majority of that, but it's worth remembering that not everything in the media is a total falsehood.

Thankfully, I think we're addressing those issues, but it'll be at least 2 years before we really see the result of that.
Poch won't get that time though unless the side starts putting in some convincing performances. All these rumours of squad divisions suggest that he could be undermined in swift order.

Jose managed two teams before taking the Porto job, and had been a assistant manager before that. He then won the Champions League. The record can't be boasted by of our "next big thing" appointments. As for Guardiola, he was an exception to the norm who has always had top, top talent at his disposal. I hope you're not comparing Sherwood to him. Ramos had managed for about a decade before his success at Sevilla. Each job up until then had been a failure.

Well, I did just that. All of the appointments, bar Redknapp, were based on the manager being the next big thing. Jol wasn't recruited as manager. I think people forget that. What we know is that during these periods there was the commonality of the continental system.
But that "continental system" isn't the manager running the squad. It's the idea of having someone coordinate between the Academy, Scouting and the squad so that there is continuity and the manager is free to focus on the matchday squad. It's also pretty clearly an effective idea, since I cannot think of many clubs contending in the Champion's League knock-out stages which don't use that structure. Or any other professional team sports.

That was more down to us having a more effective scouting policy then than we have now (at least according to Comolli), but that doesn't mean that Redknapp was hopeless at his job.
His records at Portsmouth and QPR would disagree. Redknapp is a lot of things. Good at scouting and signing players is not one of those things.

See, I find this highly debatable. Yes, there are undoubtedly questions over the downturn in form, but when you're constantly linking in the press to your dream job, and the players are also reading loads of stories about the manager leaving, the that uncertainty was going to be there come what may and I think that Redknapp didn't drop the ball as much as is alleged. After all his task was top four and he delivered. Nobody has been able to since. So "dropping the ball" is relative.
We were third with a lead of 10 points over fourth, and collapsed in form. He may have been linked in the press to his dream job. But that wasn't his actual job. His job was to manage Spurs and do as well as possible. Not just finish fourth. The manner in which he campaigned for a new contract through the media after Levy's mother died, after the club had supported him during his difficulties was also in colossal poor taste and indicated a serious lack of respect for the people at the club.

Yet he fell out with players at THFC as well, and let his own pride get the better of him. It's also been said that he was unhappy at not getting the players he wanted. If the latter is true then that's not the manager's fault.
It's also been said by other players that he didn't fall out with people, and that he actually approved every transfer made. Levy has also said that managers needed to approve transfers before players are signed, so I think both of those claims aren't really born out by the evidence.

Seeing it again this year. Indeed. There are a lot of notable similarities between AVB and Poch.....so that inevitably leads to the question of why Levy has hired a manager of potentially the same school of thought. Surely that's a question of the manager possibly not learning from his mistakes rather than it is maybe of Poch not being up to scruff?

The rumour mill on this one is all over the place. The official line is "mutual consent". One of the rumours suggests that AVB basically went in and said "I'm not happy and am prepared to go if we can reach an agreement". Who knows? *shrug*

Surely what we needed was a manager who has more flexibility to adapt to what he has rather than trying to implement a very rigid style of play. Like you said above, this was the problem with AVB. Again, one has to look to Levy for trying to repeat that experiment all over again, this time with, so far, more dire results. It's all very well saying that Poch needs time and his own players, but we know that AVB never got the players he wanted, so how do we now that Poch will be given the tools he needs to do his job? Again, the buck must stop at Levy for these decisions.

I don't disagree with the majority of that, but it's worth remembering that not everything in the media is a total falsehood.

Poch won't get that time though unless the side starts putting in some convincing performances. All these rumours of squad divisions suggest that he could be undermined in swift order.
I think the fact that Levy has appointed a very similar manager again, using a similar philosophy would show that he feels that is how Tottenham should play. And I think that the signs are that the players are the ones in the hot seat now, not the manager.

Wasn't the Jol thing related to his attitude?

Apparently Levy had bought Jol a Porsche as a gift for his performance as manager but apparently Jol had acted ungratefully or disrespectfully about it all and had a certain demeanour about him that rubbed people up the wrong way within the club.

Either way, it seems he didn't exactly do much better at Fulham in terms of being 'popular'. Perhaps not the best thing for team performance, but maybe a very similar situation as to what got Sherwood his P45 in some ways.

Edit: Wasn't there a courting for the Newcastle job by Jol too. I'm sure he did plenty to piss of the board, anyway.

I agree that we perhaps should have made a move for a striker at that point. We don't know though who Redknapp asked for, beyond possibly Remy, we don't know if we actually made an approach and we rebuffed, and we don't know if there were other choices Redknapp failed to ask for.

"Daniel always said that if we found the right player then we would have gone for him but it was difficult. He tried something with Rossi. I think he offered £35million in the end. It's hard to get top players unless you pay top money. You couldn't get Rossi because Villarreal don't want to sell you him.
"The chairman would have bought someone for £30million though, for sure. He wanted to bring someone in. There was no doubt that he wanted to do it. He wanted to get somebody in and if Daniel and Joe Lewis can find the right people they will have a go again."

Redknapp

We also bid for Aguero, Villa and were heavily linked with Llorente.

We ended up with Saha, and people seem to put that on Redknapp. Personally, I think if Levy went in early for an identified target and offered a respectable bid instead if hitching his skirt to 17 players and eventually pissing them all off, along with their clubs and agents, he would land his man.

It seems accepted that AVB and Poch were let down over signings, but when it comes to Harry, its seen as his fault...?

Sherwood´s approach to drop the crap and play the hungry youngsters was spot on looking back. People slated him for telling us how it was....lazy players with no heart.....and he was seen as a snake for weeding out the players not pulling their weight.

Now Poch is seen as a good manager for doing the same..

I really do wonder what this summer would have brought had Levy kept Sherwood. He knew inside out where the rot was. It will take Poch a bit longer to figure it all out but he is 100% trying to get there.

But thats the danger here. If his hands are tied in the January window by Levy, and the second half of the season is poor, we start the whole cycle again.

"Daniel always said that if we found the right player then we would have gone for him but it was difficult. He tried something with Rossi. I think he offered £35million in the end. It's hard to get top players unless you pay top money. You couldn't get Rossi because Villarreal don't want to sell you him.
"The chairman would have bought someone for £30million though, for sure. He wanted to bring someone in. There was no doubt that he wanted to do it. He wanted to get somebody in and if Daniel and Joe Lewis can find the right people they will have a go again."

Redknapp

We also bid for Aguero, Villa and were heavily linked with Llorente.

We ended up with Saha, and people seem to put that on Redknapp. Personally, I think if Levy went in early for an identified target and offered a respectable bid instead if hitching his skirt to 17 players and eventually pissing them all off, along with their clubs and agents, he would land his man.

It seems accepted that AVB and Poch were let down over signings, but when it comes to Harry, its seen as his fault...?

Sherwood´s approach to drop the crap and play the hungry youngsters was spot on looking back. People slated him for telling us how it was....lazy players with no heart.....and he was seen as a snake for weeding out the players not pulling their weight.

Now Poch is seen as a good manager for doing the same..

I really do wonder what this summer would have brought had Levy kept Sherwood. He knew inside out where the rot was. It will take Poch a bit longer to figure it all out but he is 100% trying to get there.

But thats the danger here. If his hands are tied in the January window by Levy, and the second half of the season is poor, we start the whole cycle again.

It's all down to a case of waiting and seeing. I'd be surprised if Poch didn't change the squad in January though (even if it is more out-goings than in-comings). He'll have a far better idea of what/who works and doesn't by now. Chances are (hopefully) we'll see some over-rated first teamer's leaving and some more development players moving into their roles. That's been our biggest success in the last 12 months, if you ask me.

On Redknapp, I think the difference is perhaps that he was/has been a Director of Football before, with the others being young managers. It would suggest that perhaps he would have straddled both roles and as such taken responsibility for the transfers more than AVB/Poch would have, but that's just a case of assumption on my part.

Wasn't the Jol thing related to his attitude?

Apparently Levy had bought Jol a Porsche as a gift for his performance as manager but apparently Jol had acted ungratefully or disrespectfully about it all and had a certain demeanour about him that rubbed people up the wrong way within the club.

Either way, it seems he didn't exactly do much better at Fulham in terms of being 'popular'. Perhaps not the best thing for team performance, but maybe a very similar situation as to what got Sherwood his P45 in some ways.

Edit: Wasn't there a courting for the Newcastle job by Jol too. I'm sure he did plenty to piss of the board, anyway.

Tired of the excuses when our managers go, it's always Redknapp did this, AVB did that, Jol put his finger in Mrs Levy's arse. With a history like our of managers coming in and out like a revolving door Levy must take some blame, I mean is he so sensitive that he can't take criticism from his managers and want a yes man, I don't know the reason but he doesn't seem like a good man to work for.

Tired of the excuses when our managers go, it's always Redknapp did this, AVB did that, Jol put his finger in Mrs Levy's arse. With a history like our of managers coming in and out like a revolving door Levy must take some blame, I mean is he so sensitive that he can't take criticism from his managers and want a yes man, I don't know the reason but he doesn't seem like a good man to work for.
Yet afterwards all the sacked manager seem to come out and say "Levy and I have no bad relationship".

I put that down to either the multi-million pound compensation or Levy's generous offer of a Christmas cheese basket each year.

Well, Jol sort of dug his grave if this article from back then is correct:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-490125/Jol-axed-year-feud.html

"A close friend of the Dutchman revealed that the pair had been at loggerheads for more than two years, ever since a row over Jol's attempts to recruit skills coach Ricardo Moniz became personal.
In early 2005 Jol spoke to Levy's wife about her husband's reluctance to employ Moniz, and although he eventually joined, Levy was furious that his wife had been brought into the row."

"The rift was worsened when Jol failed to thank Levy for giving him a Porsche as part of a new contract."

"In the summer of 2006 Jol was overruled again. This time Chelsea had offered Wright-Phillips and defender Robert Huth,plus cash,in exchange for Aaron Lennon. Jol was thrilled, as he was not a huge fan of Lennon's combative personality. But the board decided they could not afford to sell a player who was so popular with the supporters."

Huth and SWP??? Hmm...

Well, Jol sort of dug his grave if this article from back then is correct:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-490125/Jol-axed-year-feud.html

"A close friend of the Dutchman revealed that the pair had been at loggerheads for more than two years, ever since a row over Jol's attempts to recruit skills coach Ricardo Moniz became personal.
In early 2005 Jol spoke to Levy's wife about her husband's reluctance to employ Moniz, and although he eventually joined, Levy was furious that his wife had been brought into the row."

"The rift was worsened when Jol failed to thank Levy for giving him a Porsche as part of a new contract."

"In the summer of 2006 Jol was overruled again. This time Chelsea had offered Wright-Phillips and defender Robert Huth,plus cash,in exchange for Aaron Lennon. Jol was thrilled, as he was not a huge fan of Lennon's combative personality. But the board decided they could not afford to sell a player who was so popular with the supporters."

Huth and SWP??? Hmm...

If the rumours are true about Lennon going with Kaboul and Ade in the last game and you add this to it then perhaps Lennon is a bit of a trouble maker, who knows.

To be fair to Jol, Huth and SWP were sort of ok back then not great but not complete shit like they are now and a bit of cash would have been nice and if Jol viewed Lennon as to hot to handle then maybe it's best for the club if he went. But if we follow the manager and it goes wrong at least the manager can take the blame, hard to blame the manager if he is not the guy running the show.

When you look at our transfers and all the issues with Levy overruling managers and getting this guy instead the problem is they might not suit the tactics of the manager or they might be mentally weak or just a nightmare to handle. Our sqaud is bloated and Poch has even complained about them.

The way we collapsed last season in so many games is more than just a talent issue, something really seems wrong with this group of players and the good performances of the kids (Kane/Mason/Bentaleb) in comparison to the seniors highlight this. If our sqaud is as toxic as I feel it might be I really hope we have a proper clear out, it will improve the dressing room and the club in general if we have players who are driven and care.

I am looking forward to Jan just to see who gets the boot.

Back
Top Bottom