In defence of Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Im a Levy supporter too....its waining, but for me I like that we have remained self sufficient and find it extremely important to my supporting the club on a personal level.

But he has made some atrocious decisions lately and that should be acknowledged.

However, a lot of those decisions were applauded by the fan base at the time, so hindsight and all that....

His best decision of recent years (appointing Harry and going back to basics) was met with widespread ridicule and derision from our fans.....so do those people have the right to slate him for sacking Harry?

Not so sure. Do the fans that wanted Harry sacked have the right to moan about stability and regression? Not so sure either.

Point being, be careful what you wish for. It keeps slapping us in the face, and if Levy gets hounded out of the club, and we end up with some Glazier or Shiek like bullshit, will we have the right to moan about the club being run as a business, or fans being priced out, or the atmosphere at WHL being shit etc etc.....

Im a Levy supporter too....its waining, but for me I like that we have remained self sufficient and find it extremely important to my supporting the club on a personal level.

But he has made some atrocious decisions lately and that should be acknowledged.

However, a lot of those decisions were applauded by the fan base at the time, so hindsight and all that....

His best decision of recent years (appointing Harry and going back to basics) was met with widespread ridicule and derision from our fans.....so do those people have the right to slate him for sacking Harry?

Not so sure. Do the fans that wanted Harry sacked have the right to moan about stability and regression? Not so sure either.

Point being, be careful what you wish for. It keeps slapping us in the face, and if Levy gets hounded out of the club, and we end up with some Glazier or Shiek like bullshit, will we have the right to moan about the club being run as a business, or fans being priced out, or the atmosphere at WHL being shit etc etc.....

That is it. The majority of decisions Levy has made seemed great at the time.

I was happy Harry got sacked, delighted we brought AVB in and was spaffing for days after the Bale replacement signings at the time.

My main gripe with ENIC is the stadium.

Dont forget winning at Porto in another two team league with a team he inherited....
That's a very simple and unfair assessment, which I will come back to in my response to Smoked Salmon.

I suppose you can say from a business model we have done well in terms of keeping our spending quite low.
Argh, so frustrating. Our spending isn't low, our net spend is low. There's a MASSIVE difference. We've sold some world class players that we were extremely fortunate to have in the first place, we were not in a position to hold onto them, whether we were in the CL or not. Real Madrid purchased two of them. Anyone who thinks we could have retained Bale or Modric is lacking in brain capacity. We got great fees for them, and they bankrolled the next generation. We spent the money earned, plus a bit more, but out of necessity. It seems some here would simply be pleased to see us spend £200m just because we made £120m. That is madness. Spending for the sake of it just to make our net spend look more in tune with the clubs above us so then we can at least say we tried. Ridiculous.

In regards to buying, Levy is not the guy scouting these players, he just sanctions the purchases - as he should. Anyone who thinks he's picking players for the squad are eluded. That is not his job, and he knows it.

Of course he'll back him; with the funds gained from any players sold. That's all Levy does, while pocketing the TV money.
Yep, that £400,000,000 stadium will be paid for by stationery and pie sales :llorishuh:

Ramos - hired after short term success, no other notable achievements, asked to work with a DOF
AVB - hired based on short term success at Porto, no other notable achievements, asked to work with DOF
Sherwood - cheat interim appointment hired despite no notable achievements, asked to work with DOF
Poch - hired based on short term success at Southampton, no other notable achievements beyond moving Espanyol up a few league positions, asked to work with a DOF. So far, Poch achieving less then his two predecessors
Actually I think the commonality is gambling on a recently successful manager (however you want to portray 'successful' (De Boer would have been another example of this)) as we are not a large enough club to attract top managers. We simply have no option but to take a chance on these guys, or go 'safe' with someone like Pulis, Redknapp or Hoddle.

Going back to AVB (earlier in my post) I think that is a very simplistic and insulting review of AVB's career. He worked under Mourinho - one of the most successful managers of our time - for many years, before branching out to take on relegation-bound Academica. After not only saving them from relegation but doing so with an attractive style, he was hired by Porto, where he then went unbeaten in the league (only the SECOND manager to do so (winning by a massive 20 points)) and won the treble, including the EL (which would undoubtedly be an amazing achievement for Spurs). All this, at just 33 years old. Several members of that squad would have been older than him, yet his achievements were quite incredible really, owing to the fact that he was hired by Chelsea, a Champions League heavyweight.

I don't care what you think of the Portuguese League, going unbeaten is incredible, and the treble in the same season equally so.

I don't wish to get into the other managers here, nor do I want a Harry vs AVB thread (again!) but I just wanted to point out that AVB's career, for a very young manager, has been pretty fucking good so far. Sure, he failed at Chelsea and was sacked by us (I still believe to be the wrong decision) but he's been resilient and is rebuilding his career at Zenit. Fair play to him. Look at Ramos, now a free agent after leaving Dnipro.

With regards to the article, I think it was a good read and made some fair and valid points from a point of view (and one that I generally agree with) that is certainly in the minority now. Anyone that simply chooses to dismiss it as bullshit clearly isn't going to help the club move forward in a proactive manner as you need to understand both sides of the argument and everyone's feelings on the way the club is run.

But is it spending a little more, or a lot more? The difference between Spurs resources and those above them is pretty large, as is the difference in wage bills. The difference isn't really something that an extra 20 million fixes. It's a much larger gap than that.

There have been several Januarys where we needed one striker to really push on. We were 2nd in the league during Redknapps reign at one point, his last season. A new striker in January would have really helped.

He wanted Remy for years, we didn't get him. As soon as he moved to QPR he got him, now he's a Chelsea player which just shows his quality. He could have been ours two years ago for 8-10 million. Maybe we'd have finished third (Maybe higher? Who knows) and then the transfer would have paid for itself in CL money.

Levy keeps his wallet shut when he needs to spend, and then splurges it poorly when we don't need to spend. Guys a complete tool when it comes to money and transfers. Wouldn't surprise me this Jan if we bought no one.

Sounds like a rally call for our neo sceptic tank fan base .

A little bird told me this could be Teflon Dans gawky son.
Sounds more like pigs at the trough .

justin justin - while AVB would destroy the Russian League and play Champions League football AGAIN next season. Guess who'll go on to be the more successful manager.

In your own time, son

Zenit finished 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd in the past 4 years. It's not hard to "destroy the Russian League" when you're one of the richest clubs in the world, spending £20 million in the summer. CSKA Moscow are their main rivals, they spent £163,000 in transfer this summer. Some achievement that :llorishuh:

The fact a supposedly class manager got sacked twice, lost the squad twice and then ran off to Russia says everything :pochbye:

People seem to blame Levy for 'forcing' Harry to sign Nelson & Saha and so on, but I'm quite sure Harry intentionally went for them.
It's worth remembering that not only was Harry being touted for the England job during that window, but his trial was about to be heard. I think those signings were caution on Levy's part through not wanting to risk spending on players that might not be sought by the next manager should Harry have either been jailed or left for a new job. I don't think that was necessarily the right approach, but I understand it if that's what happened.

Stopped reading when you believed harry deserved to lose his job and avb should of stayed. Shows you know fuck all about football and your talking out of your arse.

Please do us all a favour and don't write any more articles.

We've been run differently for a whole lot of reasons. Looking at net spend from an aribitrary starting point, or gross spend, or any single number, won't explain why though.

I suppose you can say from a business model we have done well in terms of keeping our spending quite low. My arguement would be that spending that bit more to provide the extra quality gets you more points which gets you EL or CL football and kind of pays for itself, I do wish we where a little more ambitious, I really hope Levy backs Poch in Jan.

I suppose you can say from a business model we have done well in terms of keeping our spending quite low. My arguement would be that spending that bit more to provide the extra quality gets you more points which gets you EL or CL football and kind of pays for itself, I do wish we where a little more ambitious, I really hope Levy backs Poch in Jan.

Of course he'll back him; with the funds gained from any players sold. That's all Levy does, while pocketing the TV money.

There have been several Januarys where we needed one striker to really push on. We were 2nd in the league during Redknapps reign at one point, his last season. A new striker in January would have really helped.

He wanted Remy for years, we didn't get him. As soon as he moved to QPR he got him, now he's a Chelsea player which just shows his quality. He could have been ours two years ago for 8-10 million. Maybe we'd have finished third (Maybe higher? Who knows) and then the transfer would have paid for itself in CL money.

Levy keeps his wallet shut when he needs to spend, and then splurges it poorly when we don't need to spend. Guys a complete tool when it comes to money and transfers. Wouldn't surprise me this Jan if we bought no one.
If he's a complete tool why did he bring in Van der Vart? Or sanction any of the other successful transfers we've had? People are very eager to hang every single failure around his neck, but not every success. Redknapp didn't want VdV, Levy did. Should Levy have listened to 'arry over that one? Redknapp asked for a lot of players during his time. Some worked. Many didn't. His subsequent and prior clubs all showed that letting Harry make all the choices without very careful limits was a road to certain disaster.

I agree that we perhaps should have made a move for a striker at that point. We don't know though who Redknapp asked for, beyond possibly Remy, we don't know if we actually made an approach and we rebuffed, and we don't know if there were other choices Redknapp failed to ask for. We could have had Suarez, but Redknapp wasn't keen. Good move in retrospect?

It's very easy to make absolutist judgements using hindsight and assumptions based on a couple of facts, but lacking most of the details. We don't know what was going on inside the club, we don't know who really asked for what, and we don't know what other clubs do either. That's an awful lot of don't knows to be claiming anyone is a complete tool.

Wasn't the Jol thing related to his attitude?

Apparently Levy had bought Jol a Porsche as a gift for his performance as manager but apparently Jol had acted ungratefully or disrespectfully about it all and had a certain demeanour about him that rubbed people up the wrong way within the club.

Either way, it seems he didn't exactly do much better at Fulham in terms of being 'popular'. Perhaps not the best thing for team performance, but maybe a very similar situation as to what got Sherwood his P45 in some ways.

Edit: Wasn't there a courting for the Newcastle job by Jol too. I'm sure he did plenty to piss of the board, anyway.

Tired of the excuses when our managers go, it's always Redknapp did this, AVB did that, Jol put his finger in Mrs Levy's arse. With a history like our of managers coming in and out like a revolving door Levy must take some blame, I mean is he so sensitive that he can't take criticism from his managers and want a yes man, I don't know the reason but he doesn't seem like a good man to work for.

Fair play for writing it but WOOOOW!?!?!?! It's like it was intentionally written to antagonize anyone who gives a fuck about our FOOTBALL club.

Back
Top Bottom