Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

haha i knew everyone was going to go batshit crazy over my statement , the top 20 thing was a bit of trolling admitted but still the following list of goalies is better then Lloris (IMO) :
Neuer, Courtois,Chech, Buffon ,Valdes (who i dont rate that highly either) and Ter Stegen are all better goalies. I'd complete my top ten with Reina (for what i have seen from Napoli he is doing very well), Casillas (based on the past obviously) Sirigu, Enyeama all come before Lloris for me. Mignolet is about the same level atm because he is too unstable in his performances.
di-ENFW.gif

I watch them a fair few times, certainly not avidly though. Neuer is good, but certainly not the best, like you said, he does fuck all.

I've never liked Neuer personally. As you say he doesn't have much to do, but this can also be a good test of a Goalkeepers quality, being able to keep their concentration and discipline high throughout a game. Neuer is very poor at this.

Earlier this season Bayern put on the most terrifying 30 minutes of football I have ever seen away at Bayer Leverkusen. Total dominance. Possession in the high 70s, 20+ shots, all of it against the team in 3rd at their ground. The breakthrough came with a fantastic Kroos goal and Bayern were set to rack up the goals and walk away with a huge win. Instead Bayer pushed the ball forward from the kick off and got a looping cross into the centre. Neuer decided to come for it despite him having no chance to clear it, could only brush the ball away straight to Sam who finished. The game ended 1-1.

He just doesn't have the discipline to accept that he isn't always needed. He wants to get involved and starts racing from his goal to get a touch or make an unnecessary intervention and it costs Bayern goals. I would put Weidenfeller, ter Stegen and probably Adler ahead of him in Germany. Maybe even Bernd Leno. He's certainly not in the Buffon class.

We're talking about present, not past. Otherwise you may as well add Lev Yashin, Kahn, Van der sar etc. to that list
ok , i still rate Casillas but havent seen him play this season so hard to judge - and to counter your argument : the players you mention arent active anymore as you are well aware. So using that against me saying based on past performances isnt really playing nice but i know what you ment so i change my statement, Casillas (based on him still having his full potential as an active player)

I've never liked Neuer personally. As you say he doesn't have much to do, but this can also be a good test of a Goalkeepers quality, being able to keep their concentration and discipline high throughout a game. Neuer is very poor at this.

Earlier this season Bayern put on the most terrifying 30 minutes of football I have ever seen away at Bayer Leverkusen. Total dominance. Possession in the high 70s, 20+ shots, all of it against the team in 3rd at their ground. The breakthrough came with a fantastic Kroos goal and Bayern were set to rack up the goals and walk away with a huge win. Instead Bayer pushed the ball forward from the kick off and got a looping cross into the centre. Neuer decided to come for it despite him having no chance to clear it, could only brush the ball away straight to Sam who finished. The game ended 1-1.

He just doesn't have the discipline to accept that he isn't always needed. He wants to get involved and starts racing from his goal to get a touch or make an unnecessary intervention and it costs Bayern goals. I would put Weidenfeller, ter Stegen and probably Adler ahead of him in Germany. Maybe even Bernd Leno. He's certainly not in the Buffon class.
ah thanks , i forgot about Weidenfeller in my list - a bit harsh on Neuer though , he has been very consistent even when they weren't all that dominant as they are now.

And to those saying Valdes and Neuer arent good because they always seem to make one mistake , i think that i have seen a lot of mistakes from Lloris this season. Not saying he isnt a good goalie at all ok, as i said in my post he is good, has lots of courage, good reflexes but lacks something to be top ten.

And to those saying Valdes and Neuer arent good because they always seem to make one mistake , i think that i have seen a lot of mistakes from Lloris this season. Not saying he isnt a good goalie at all ok, as i said in my post he is good, has lots of courage, good reflexes but lacks something to be top ten.

The only thing missing from Lloris that would make him absolutely the best keeper on the planet is American DNA. Time to give him a Friedel transfusion.

What makes you so sure?

Pigeons instinct.

Him/his agents went to the press when Brad was starting and said how unhappy he is. Lloris has given an interview about wanting CL football. I doubt we will get CL football next year. Lloris is a world class player and feels he deserves CL football. He doesn't strike me as loyal to our cause...

I imagine I would make a few of mistakes at work after I took a giant Knee to the skull.

I actually think its quite refreshing that the club have posted this up on the OS. I just dont understand why they feel it necessary to refer to the other club as A******L instead of the more familiar name of Woolwich. So fucking not needed.

Jesus Christ, people who think we can get better than Hugo in goal are off their heads!

I was reading this Q&A with tony parks where he talks about Lloris and what he sees in him at first hand is just amazing.

You can defmintely see how quick he is in the head, the way he reads things and on top of that, his actual shot stopping/reflexes are superb! Just look at the saves he's made in the last two games, unbelievable.

Apparently, according to Tony, he makes a decision and straight away sticks with it, never ever changes his mind, that's why you never see him in two minds in no mans land, he makes his mind up and goes through with it. Most of the time, it works out and that's what makes him one of the best in the world in my opinion.

Do you have a link to the Q&A? Cheers.

I like Hugo, but there are better keepers (maybe not 20 ;) ) and many Spurs fans are a little blinkered when it comes to our own...that is to say I feel 'World Class' Keepers can keep their goal kicks in play! One of the main problems for me is that we no longer play to Hugo's main strength, as much as many hated AVB's tactics, Hugo was brought to compliment the high-line we played, and though he still commands his area better than anyone I can think of, playing at the edge of his box isn't such a major feature of his game at the moment, as such I don't think we're getting the best from him.

Back
Top Bottom