Have we signed David Raya yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was on topic . .ref to Fabrizio Romanos telephone call....did you listen to it. ? He repeats many times he's a journalist.

Or was the post with the call off topic aswell ?
Unless you're discussing David Raya you are off topic. Now to save the thread from you I shan't bother to answer any more of your troll posts.

That's the key for me, he's as near to a top level plug-and-play option as we're likely to attract.

Mamardashvili might take time to adapt to life in London and English football, with Raya that particular risk is completely eliminated.

Pay the man, Dan

:levyeyes:

This Raya negotiation has "backfire" written all over it. Chelsea just flipped Mendy so will be in splurge mode for a GK.

They could fuck about all window with Inter for Onana or try to prise Milan's starting GK away, or they could just pay up and get Raya...

Sanchez wouldn’t be a good option imo.

We don’t have the Lloris safety net for fucking about with Gollini gambles anymore.

He’s gone this summer.

Whoever they go for needs to be the next Lloris.

Personally, if they did the entire budget on a GK and a CB I’d be fine with it
The next Lloris needs to be able to pass and throw, and not letting in near post goals would be nice.

They're bloody hard to find or everyone would be doing it. You get a few teams who get a fantastic hit rate doing this for a while and then fall off, but most of the successful sides can cherry pick the best. We can't.

Finding a player who would hit 20+ G/A in a crappy Leicester team for cheap won't be easy. And we still have a big issue with HG players so one way or the other we have to overpay for domestic talent.

I'm fine with us walking away from Maddison if it means going for an Eze, but it almost certainly won't. Raya is a tough one as what keepers are actually out there and available? Raya is practically a sure thing to be competent.
Spurs should be aiming to be the Prem’s equivalent of Napoli, Atletico/Sevilla, Dortmund. All teams who win stuff often enough.

We don’t have the clout to sign the best of the best and we should be scouting domestically and abroad for the next big thing.

When I see people having meltdowns over Raya and Maddison (and Laporte/Pickford/Martinez), I see a complete lack of imagination and signings that cap our potential at 6th place or so.

However betting on a core group of U24s that can peak together in 2-3 years can get us back to those 2016 levels. Then we’d be in a position to kick on.

The World Cup showed that there are too many good players now to just restrict yourself to shopping in one market. HG issues? Look to the youth team and what the championship has to offer. It’s always been a source of Salvation for us

“Prem proven” is a fallacy. I can only think of 2 established players that we signed from within the prem in the last 15 years that lived up to, and exceeded expectations - Dembele and Wanyama. We Essentially loaned Defoe to Portsmouth for a year so that doesn’t count.

Darren Bent underwhelmed
Bentley a disaster
Palacios - external issues
Dempsey too short a stay
Sissoko more of a cult hero than a genuinely quality player
Richarlison…

The pool of talent is far too deep in world football to have such a narrow mindset.

It’s helpful to get the player in and settled well before football starts. We never learn
He’s moving his place of work from TW5 to EN2. I’ve been to both places and I’m sure he can cope with the accent change 😂 .

Kind of defeats the whole “prem proven” argument.

Last edited:
This annoys me because he is a completely different profile of keeper. Just shows how scatterbrained the scouting is.

He’s good but in the traditional sense.

Raya’s ballplaying ability is being overhyped.

He’s good at picking out long passes (something he won’t do under Ange). His short under pressure passing isn’t an ideal fit either.

In that sense, scouts might not see a huge difference between the 2

Raya’s ballplaying ability is being overhyped.

He’s good at picking out long passes (something he won’t do under Ange). His short under pressure passing isn’t an ideal fit either.

In that sense, scouts might not see a huge difference between the 2
You must’ve seen the same YT video I did that caused concern.

However I came across this rebuttal:

Mamardashvili is definitely in the Courtois/Donnarumma style. I’m not against signing him because he’ll likely be a top notch GK in the traditional sense, but if Ange wants an extra outfield player in possession, it’s not ideal.

We don’t have the clout to sign the best of the best and we should be scouting domestically and abroad for the next big thing.

When I see people having meltdowns over Raya and Maddison (and Laporte/Pickford/Martinez), I see a complete lack of imagination and signings that cap our potential at 6th place or so.

However betting on a core group of U24s that can peak together in 2-3 years can get us back to those 2016 levels. Then we’d be in a position to kick on.

The World Cup showed that there are too many good players now to just restrict yourself to shopping in one market. HG issues? Look to the youth team and what the championship has to offer. It’s always been a source of Salvation for us

“Prem proven” is a fallacy. I can only think of 2 established players that we signed from within the prem in the last 15 years that lived up to, and exceeded expectations - Dembele and Wanyama. We Essentially loaned Defoe to Portsmouth for a year so that doesn’t count.

Darren Bent underwhelmed
Bentley a disaster
Palacios - external issues
Dempsey too short a stay
Sissoko more of a cult hero than a genuinely quality player
Richarlison…

The pool of talent is far too deep in world football to have such a narrow mindset.

I don't disagree in principle but I also just have zero faith in the structures which exist at this club to go out and pick out players who are under the radar. I also think you need to supplement these signings with big transfers who fix immediate problems as a club with our resources. Maddison doesn't do that imo, but Raya? Maybe.

If we were a cutting edge, data led club then I'd trust it. But if we miss out on Raya we'll probably go for Pickford, that's where we're at.

I don't disagree in principle but I also just have zero faith in the structures which exist at this club to go out and pick out players who are under the radar. I also think you need to supplement these signings with big transfers who fix immediate problems as a club with our resources. Maddison doesn't do that imo, but Raya? Maybe.

If we were a cutting edge, data led club then I'd trust it. But if we miss out on Raya we'll probably go for Pickford, that's where we're at.
Sadly, I agree.

What makes the prem-centric approach even more maddening is that because of rivalries, we are limited to 16 teams we can do business with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom