Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

3 Christmases ago, my son and his friends won a competition that let them go to the Spurs Christmas party with the players, it was fantastic for them. I asked Bailey who his favourite player was afterwards and he said Harry Winks. I hadn't heard of him then but looked him up. Turns out he has the same birthday as me and looks a lot like my son, but best thing is he is turning out to be some player imo

Easily motm yesterday

We are going to struggle to keep up with the so-called big boys in forking out huge sums in the transfer market. Therefore our development of home grown players or unearthing rough diamonds becomes crucial to our potential success. And when they are Spurs supporters, it warms the heart and hopefully will rebuff other teams when they come calling. Tiddly seems to be a lovely young man, his parents must be so proud, as we all should. I wish him a long and successful career with us.

The Guardian interview that Thin Lilywhite Duke quotes (Harry Winks: ‘The buzz I get from playing for Tottenham … I don’t think it will ever go’) is a fantastic read. Some great bitter and envious posts below the line too

:sonlol:

“The manager called me in,” Winks says. “I was just about to get into the shower and I had my towel on. He was there with all the coaches and they were having a glass of wine. He said: ‘Well done,’ and he gave me a cuddle.

:pochunimpressed:

I watch a lot of the youth squads, and one of the first teams I spent a lot of time watching was Winks' U18 year.

He didn't stand out at all in that team, just did his job tidily in exactly the same way as he doesn't stand out in the first team. In fact, in that team I'd have rated all of Carter-Vickers, Onomah, Oduwa, Azzaoui, Georgiou, Walker-Peters and Ogilvie as bigger prospects.

Just shows how tough it can be scouting his type of player - by definition they are unlikely to stand out (if they do, they generally end up getting moved further forward anyway), but I now think we have a serious player on our hands.

I watch a lot of the youth squads, and one of the first teams I spent a lot of time watching was Winks' U18 year.

He didn't stand out at all in that team, just did his job tidily in exactly the same way as he doesn't stand out in the first team. In fact, in that team I'd have rated all of Carter-Vickers, Onomah, Oduwa, Azzaoui, Georgiou, Walker-Peters and Ogilvie as bigger prospects.

Just shows how tough it can be scouting his type of player - by definition they are unlikely to stand out (if they do, they generally end up getting moved further forward anyway), but I now think we have a serious player on our hands.
90% agree, but I'd say he was still very much the glue in that side. The one thing is clear though he is much better now than then. He's braver and quicker on the ball, rarely saw him carrying the ball as he does now. Also, you can see Poch has turned him into an aggressive bugger, which ultimately gives him the confidence to know that he belongs on the pitch. I like George Marsh, very similar player, maybe better today than Winks was when he was in youth set up???

Azzaoui, now here is a kid that made a massive mistake to leaving Spurs. Seem to recall he left because we wouldn't guarantee first team football. Just checked on wikipedia and he has only played fucking twice for Wolfsburg, one of those would have been the game they gave him when he first signed!! Loved watching this kid play, very exciting and would get you out of your seat every time he got on the ball.

He's quickly becoming a favorite of mine in the squad. We'll see how he pans out in the long-run, but he has been able to slot well into our side (which is saying a lot for a young player) and he has the attitude to boot. Not just his interviews, but he lays it all out on the pitch and that's exactly what we need and want to see. I hope he just further continues to grow.

Poise and character beyond his years. Reminds me of Xavi and Iniesta with the vision and able to dictate the pace at his whim. Will turn out much better than another unfair comparison of ex United Tom Cleverley as already Winks is better than him where Cleverley has peaked and we have yet to see the best of Winks.

Azzaoui, now here is a kid that made a massive mistake to leaving Spurs. Seem to recall he left because we wouldn't guarantee first team football. Just checked on wikipedia and he has only played fucking twice for Wolfsburg, one of those would have been the game they gave him when he first signed!! Loved watching this kid play, very exciting and would get you out of your seat every time he got on the ball.
Apparently he's ruptured his cruciate ligament and is out at the moment. Great shame, an awful injury to try and come back from.

Naaah! Your son looks more like Coutinho (Winks' Evil Twin).

coutinho-liverpool.jpg
I disagree completely

The past two seasons when we get bogged down it has seemed like we need a cutting edge - basically Bale back.

Bit today I had an epiphany - get Winks into the team - and yes we still need a high class winger or creative mid.

If we integrate Winks - our whole build up play will increase in speed but we will still keep the ball - a la Xavi! He always seems to choose the most forward thinking option - he clips the ball fast. He keeps the ball and increases our tempo.

The number of central mids who keep possession but just pass sideways - a la Ray Wilkins - are ten a penny but Winks clips the ball forward fast - he gets things going.

I feel like we need a change of impetus. Otherwise teams will just sit and we will get frustrating draws.

Next season or the season after hopefully we will be able to buy one or two cutting edge game changers ( like Bale :))) - but in the meantime I think we should include Winks as an integral part of our setup - so that we are a high tempo passing team. At the moment we get bogged down too much. I think Harry is our ace - and can see him being a fulcrumnof the team for the next few years!

Welcome to the forum! Winks definitely has the potential to become a regular in our midfield, but I think Poch is a bit wary about rushing him on too fast right now. I'd expect him to start getting more and more starts if he keeps playing the way he has been though.

By the way, there's already a thread all about Winks here: Players - Harry Winks

Hi - thanks for your kind reply.
I'll go there and shout for Harry! :)

I just can't shake the feeling that this guy looks like so many promising midfielders we've had (Darren Caskey!) but might actually be on another level! :)

As a first time poster I appreciate the welcome and will go shout for Harry on the relevant thread! :
COYS

Back
Top Bottom