Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wanted to rate this both funny and agree, would love a photo with Poch, even if it was set up. When I did the tour of the Nou Camp, I had one done with Ronaldinho - it came out OK

I had one done with Ronaldinho too, once.

Turned out later that it wasn't actually him, but just a mummy. Looked like him
mk-mummy.jpg

I think his best attribute is his determination to go forward. He had some turns today right into congested areas, but he wasn't afraid to run at the defenders and open up space for others.

Dembele and Wanyama are not nearly as good passers and they tend to play negative and slow the game down. This is part of the reason we dominate some games but never really get many clear cut scoring chances. I think Winks needs to be starting at least 50% of the games.

Nice article here on him (with quotes from Super Jan).

Vertonghen hails 'unbelievable' Winks improvement in Spurs first team

Something in there I didn't realise: he's racked up 27 appearances for us this season already! Even with all those sub appearances that still somehow seems surprising.

From a tactical standpoint, his improvement couldn't have come sooner. I think he's the remedy to our poor performances using the 4-2-3-1, and should be used in place of either Dembele or Wanyama when we play it (depending on the opposition).

Watched the game again today, studied Winks.
He offers so much more than Dembele with the ball and with movement off it.
His passing and movement are excellent. He always looks forward first, gets into the box and has stamina.
There was even a 10 yard pass where he nutmegs a player from about 5 yards, purposefully, to play it to Kane
Not much was said about it. If Pogba would have done it the pundits would not have stopped talking about it, there would be videos all over the net and people creaming their pants
It was a championship side, but he was head and shoulders above anyone else in midfield.
Poch will be careful with him, but he has what it takes. He will get stronger too.
I think he was Man of the match without a doubt.
When I get time I will make a gif of the nutmeg,

Just watched his highlights reel on YouTube. It is mostly a collection of sublime passes and dribbling. Think he could be a massive talent over the next 10-12 years. A joy to watch.

Winks does offer more than Dembele in a passing sense. But so did Carroll.

Its about having different types, different ways of slowly torturing the opposition. I happen to think Dembele is underrated when he comes to his passing. I love the accurate powerful pass to the left back he offers when it's on.

Dembele/Winks would actually be an interesting central midfield partnership if we play 3 at the back. They're both defensively sound without being too destroyer.

Watched the game again today, studied Winks.
He offers so much more than Dembele with the ball and with movement off it.
His passing and movement are excellent. He always looks forward first, gets into the box and has stamina.
There was even a 10 yard pass where he nutmegs a player from about 5 yards, purposefully, to play it to Kane
Not much was said about it. If Pogba would have done it the pundits would not have stopped talking about it, there would be videos all over the net and people creaming their pants
It was a championship side, but he was head and shoulders above anyone else in midfield.
Poch will be careful with him, but he has what it takes. He will get stronger too.
I think he was Man of the match without a doubt.
When I get time I will make a gif of the nutmeg,
He's also been partly sheltered by the Marcus Edwards hype.

Not for much longer though...

Still under the radar a little bit - as he is coming on at the end of games so can't really impose himself. But the Poch is bringing him on nearly every game!

Nobody is mentioning his freekick to Dele? He saw the chance - and executed it perfectly.

This is one of the reasons I am so excited about HW - and believe that he is on a different level to pretty much all our homegrown centre mids for years and maybe decades.

I think he is clearly on a different level to Mason and Carroll - the players that get mentioned most when talking about Winks.

The last player I had such high hopes for was Caskey. He looked brilliant - he was the captain at every age group of every England youth team - he was calm in possession and distributed the ball nicely. I remember hoping we had a new Hod. But for whatever reason it didn't work out.

Since Caskey, in the great tradition of Spurs center mids, we haven't had many homegrown prospects (that I can think of).

Maybe because I became a spurs fan in 1980 - I put too much emphasis on the centre mid position? For me that IS spurs - and partly why I am so excited about Winks (and also why I want us to break the bank for Isco so much - who I feel is Spurs in his soul - the way he plays:))

I may be nuts - but I really think HW is going to be a central fulcrum - - a mix of Scholes and Gerrard - for us and for England.

Poch is building him into the team - and I couldn't be happier to have another one of our own in this amazing team!

Last edited:
Looked a lot like a young Scott Parker today! Was mentioned before the Fulham game how much he looked up to him. Great game

Back
Top Bottom