Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poise and character beyond his years. Reminds me of Xavi and Iniesta with the vision and able to dictate the pace at his whim. Will turn out much better than another unfair comparison of ex United Tom Cleverley as already Winks is better than him where Cleverley has peaked and we have yet to see the best of Winks.
I just joined this site because I wanted somewhere to talk about HW. I live abroad - will be home soon hopefully- so can't see the games in person - but my point was the same. I think we might have Xavi on our hands.I haven't sen a player who so consistently picks the right pass and does it so fast - he drills and clips the balll in his direction of choice. He moves the play on- usually in a forward direction. He isn't flashy but I reckon we have a diamond here. I would put him in the team right now - it would give us something unexpected and give us a new dimension.

Spurs are missing out on a money spinner. If they got a waxwork of Poch sat behind a desk with is arm out in contract signing pose, I wonder how many of us would pay to have their photo taken with that arm around your shoulder, whilst pen in hand you pretending to sign a contract.

As someone who hates corny shit like that I'd be at the front of the cue waiving a fiver in my hand for the shits and giggles.
:levyeyes:

Last edited:
Best out of a bad bunch tonight. Looks up all the time and tries to make stuff happen, there was one little moment where he took it over his own head and pushed it out wide whilst crowded by oppo players and looked calm as you like. Time is on his side and I think he'll push on more... shame hes not 6ft+ and built like a brick shithouse as well though

It's because he has sound technical ability and a great passing range. He also has decent pace though, definitely isn't slow. He shines because he can get himself out of a couple of challenges and then spray the ball to a free player, whereas a few of our other players aren't able to take that touch off the outside of the foot that takes it away from the opposition player and into space. He also knows what he's doing with the ball, rather than running at a player and taking a poor touch or not going anywhere.

Our best player right now needs to be starting league games, at home to stoke I would be tempted to leave out wanyama and stick him next to moussa were gunna have most of the ball anyway may aswell someone who can use it well

Good player and will only get better. Only player that looked lively last night. My only concern is that he does not turn into another Tom Cleverly as some compare him to. maybe because of his stature. Totally disagree as unlike Cleverly heis passes are mostly forward where as Cleverly often looks to pass backwards and Winks has youth on his side.

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade
Harry was our best player in the first half , he looked good at times . He played the ball neatly but he doesn't create any real opportunities to open up teams . I hope he moves up but not sure . We heard all this before Mason, Huddlestone , German scouser , Carroll.
I hope he delivers to be a top 4 player , not a Hull midfielder. Time will tell .

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade
Harry was our best player in the first half , he looked good at times . He played the ball neatly but he doesn't create any real opportunities to open up teams . I hope he moves up but not sure . We heard all this before Mason, Huddlestone , German scouser , Carroll.
I hope he delivers to be a top 4 player , not a Hull midfielder. Time will tell .
His quality is far greater than those mentioned (to early to compare to Huddlestone yet but he is far more mobile than him already). As is always the case with young players, especially home grown the desire to "big them up" is relentless and over the top. Feel there are more realistic appraisals now than ever before (Edwards hype aside) as we now have players who are braking or broken into the side, the pressure is off somewhat.

Remember Caulker being hailed (I was on the band wagon too).

Harry Winks looking to emulate Tottenham Hotspur mentor Scott Parker

"He was a top player and a top person as well," Winks said of Parker. "He was great with me, always giving me advice, and his career speaks for itself and he's a player I'd love to aspire to get to one day.

"I think when I first trained with the first team he was near the end of his time at Spurs and I was in and out of the sessions. As a young scholar just looking up to someone like Scott and training with him it was more like I was in awe of him. Hopefully if I do get the chance to play against him it will be respect on both sides, but I will go out and try to win."

"Being a midfielder himself. He was coming to the end of his career at Spurs and he was looking more to the coaching side," Winks said.

"Obviously he has a lot of advice to pass on and me being a young player coming through the academy I was just trying to get as much advice as possible. Scott just seemed to be perfect for that.

"I remember there was one session after training I went into a room with him and we watched clips back of his game and he talked me through what he thought was good in his game and what I needed to watch back and do myself.

"He is just an all-round midfielder. He has captained England, he is a top player - his passing, his tackling, his mentality.

"When he goes on the pitch, he always gives 100 per cent and that is what I like to emulate as well."

:parker:

Harry Winks looking to emulate Tottenham Hotspur mentor Scott Parker

Spurs are missing out on a money spinner. If they got a waxwork of Poch sat behind a desk with is arm out in contract signing pose, I wonder how many of us would pay to have their photo taken with that arm around your shoulder, whilst pen in hand you pretending to sign a contract.

As someone who hates corny shit like that I'd be at the front of the cue waiving a fiver in my hand for the shits and giggles.
:levyeyes:
I wanted to rate this both funny and agree, would love a photo with Poch, even if it was set up. When I did the tour of the Nou Camp, I had one done with Ronaldinho - it came out OK

Back
Top Bottom