Four weeks of hell.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So am I mate, but performances since the Man City game have been steadily getting worse. The Champions League result on wednesday wasn't just a set-back, it was bloody embarassing.
It was embarrassing. Injuries haven't helped though. We ended the game without Toby, Dembele, Lamela, Kane and Eriksen on the pitch. That's half of our best XI.

I've not actually read any of his articles.
As I see it, the problem is simple: Fatigue.
This is the problem with Poch's methods. When a human being is fatigued, they start making sub-optimal decisions.
And last night's performance was simply the result of 11 fatigued players making sub-optimal decisions.
Maybe that's because the squad has no depth of experience and the first 11 are all internationals.
Walker Rose Dele Kane ( when fit) and Dier regular for England. Eriksen for Denmark. Lloris for France Son for Korea, Wanyama for Kenya.
Vertonghen and Alderweireld for Belgium.
All these are not fringe players and have played big parts in Internationals when other teams have not let their players go or haven't had them picked.
When do players get rested then? You can' just not prepare for games. Do you really think he's making them run themselves into the ground in the 3 -4 days between games?
After Man City we had the international 'break' which wasn't for our players.
They then came back from International duties and have played 5 of 7 games in 22 days before more internationals and back for another 3 games in 8 days v Chelsea , West Lame and in the South of France.

Of course they are fucking knackered.
If we had players of a similar calibre who could be relied on to win games, we could rotate some of them.
Some even moan when we don't go full strength in the cups. But of course it's training that makes us knackered.
They did it in the old days, however when European games were not groups but 2 legged KO's.
Now you play 6 games before getting to the KO ties.

Last edited:
If anyone thinks we've played even close to our potential in the last few matches, they are fucking mental.

If anyone thinks there are massive problems in the squad and our good players have all become shite, they are fucking mental.

The truth is in between these two extremes. We are going through a dodgy patch, with a number of key injuries, so we can certainly excuse the performances and results. What we can't do is sit with our heads up our arses pretending everything is wonderful. There's a huge great area been happy clapping and melting.

Because the majority of them were playing in the summer Euros. They have had at most 1 month's rest. Add to that the intensity of the play towards the end of last season, and you get one thing, Fatigue.

It's not just Poch's sides which get fatigued. His mentor Biesla also knackered his sides out, so that they didn't really win anything.

Poch needs to change if he actually wants to win something, but I don't think that is going to happen.

You do realise that Poch trains them to increase stamina and endurance? You do realise that many professional athletes train hard to increase stamina and endurance. If training hard only ever led to fatigue every sportsman in the world would be wasting their time by training and I would be able to rival most Olympians because I don't train at all.

Yeah, 3 points out of 9 in the last three matches. Win two and lose one gives a much better return, but let's keep banging the 'not lost' drum.

You do realise the psychological importance of not losing don't you? I mean, points are relevant in terms of the table, but in terms of the next game, the psychological aspect is of far more importance than the extra point on the board.

You do realise that Poch trains them to increase stamina and endurance? You do realise that many professional athletes train hard to increase stamina and endurance. If training hard only ever led to fatigue every sportsman in the world would be wasting their time by training and I would be able to rival most Olympians because I don't train at all.

I realise all those things. But football is different from athletics, insofar as it involves creativity. Spurs are stumbling because their key creative players are knackered. You need to score goals to win matches.
I stand by my original point, Spurs are suffering because of over training and the attritional style of play.
I wish we weren't (and I'm not a troll). But Poch needs to change his methods if Spurs are to progress as a side.

You could write Poch a letter mate. With your expertise, knowledge and infinite wisdom on Sports science I'm sure he will be all ears. Or are you getting your info from the tabloids and their narrative building?

I'm merely a Spurs fan. I think he has to change his methods. That's all.
I'd happily write Poch a letter, but I don't think he'd read it.

I'm merely a Spurs fan. I think he has to change his methods. That's all.
I'd happily write Poch a letter, but I don't think he'd read it.
Just don't believe everything you read mate, especially when it comes to fitness issues. We have an army of sports technicians, doctors and sports scientists working out of a £60m state of the art facility. The only people that know the state of a players health is the club and the player. There are scores of teams that press high, non of them ever have this narrative aimed at them, only Poch and that is because of Bielsa (you even mentioned him), quite what Bielsa has to do with Tottenham is utterly beyond me.

Just don't believe everything you read mate, especially when it comes to fitness issues. We have an army of sports technicians, doctors and sports scientists working out of a £60m state of the art facility. The only people that know the state of a players health is the club and the player. There are scores of teams that press high, non of them ever have this narrative aimed at them, only Poch and that is because of Bielsa (you even mentioned him), quite what Bielsa has to do with Tottenham is utterly beyond me.
I don't really read the press. I just judge from what I've seen, a tired side, running around like headless chickens.
And when I hear "we have an army of sports technicians", I think God Help Us.
This side is knackered and will struggle to make top four.

I realise all those things. But football is different from athletics, insofar as it involves creativity. Spurs are stumbling because their key creative players are Injured. You need to score goals to win matches.
I stand by my original point, Spurs are suffering because of injuries
I wish we weren't (and I'm not a troll). But Poch needs to stop playing getting injured if Spurs are to progress as a side.

Harry - knackered?
Toby - Knackered?
Dembele - Knackered?

Not sure if English is your native tongue but just in case it is not, I have been nice and corrected your post (see above) I'm sure everyone on the forum is forgiving of your original post and can now see it makes much more sense after I helped with your English....

Would suggest you send me a draft of the letter you plan on sending Poch.....
:pochserious:

Nerves could be playing a part but that said our senior pros were as bad as the young ones the other night

I would not advocate this but I remember getting nervous before a big rugby match in my youth ( derby, scouts there blah blah)

Anyway I decided to ease my nerves by going out in bath the night before for a quiet couple of pints of the famous Dublin brew

Anyway after a couple and getting in pissed up on sambuca at 4 am I went to game to find I had been selected in the second row

I hated playing in the pack ( as I am a soft twat) anyway I went out and got on with it, and as we crouched in for the first scrum my bowels felt the urge to get rid of some nasty gasses.......needless to say I was swift ly moved to the wing, where I scored two tries and more importantly it avoided our number 8 kicking the shit out of me.....

I am not sure why i am typing this? It has no relevance, but I am on a train.........

The Dutch training expert Raymond Verheijen (who I dare say knows more about this issue than you do) has also criticised Poch's training methods, and fatigue leads to injuries.
You mean captain hindsight? Why is it that Verheijen always starts moaning after the player gets injured? Why could he not have told us in advance that Kane would sustain an injury when he did?

Charming. I have a Phd in English as it happens, perhaps you would rewrite that for me too?
The Dutch training expert Raymond Verheijen (who I dare say knows more about this issue than you do) has also criticised Poch's training methods, and fatigue leads to injuries. Here's what he said about Kane:
“What probably has happened is that Pochettino has trained them too hard, too soon in pre-season, and twisting your ankle is a typical injury when you have accumulated fatigue.”
Eriksen and Alli are non-injured creative players who have also lost their edge.
The solution is simple - don't push the players so hard in training.

It's great that you have a PHD in English, so you must know the meaning of the word probably.... it's more of a opinion let's say.
And does the so called Dutch training expert spend a lot of time training with the spurs team or has he just pulled this out of his arse? (Genuine question as can't be assed to gold this)

You are right I am not an expert on this, but I'm sure Poch is surrounded by lots of well paid experts and has some of the best facilities available to him, last year when spurs were right up there chasing Leicester it was "Poch is a genius these double training sessions are really paying off" etc etc

Soon as we hit a dry spell but still 3 points of the top I might add..... it's let's jump on the cunt band wagon and blame it all on Poch!

At the end of the day I take The rough with the smooth, and if any one actually believes our start to the season consistutes as hell then I dare to say you can't have been a spurs fan for very long!

Soon as we hit a dry spell but still 3 points of the top I might add..... it's let's jump on the cunt band wagon and blame it all on Poch!

It's great that Poch has sorted out Tottenham's defensive issues (which have existed ever since I attended my first Spurs game in 89). That's the main reason we are now in the Champions League. For that I am very grateful to him.
My point is that Poch needs to change his training methods, that's all. I'm not calling for him to be sacked.

Back
Top Bottom