Four weeks of hell.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not a win, barely a goal. In defence, Walker is making too many mistakes. Dier isn't looking like a CB. Trippier and Wimmer look like they should get a chance.
Midfield, Sissoko looks like crap, Wanyama is a red card waiting to happen. How much did we spend on the non-appearance of Nkoudou? Dier looked pretty O.K. there last season. And we could have probably bought Joe Allen as a better bet than the 3 we bought.
Son always looks busy but his final touch is invariably one touch too many. Either shoot or pass...
Janssen, it's about time he actually kicked the ball towards the opposition goal rather than just from the penalty spot.
Eriksen? compared to last season, he's providing nothing.
The only decent signing we've made in the last couple of years is Alderweireld oh and Ali but he needs to learn to not fall over.

Our best and strongest team last season was:

Kane
Eriksen - Alli - Lamela
Dembele - Dier
Rose - Vertonghen - Alderweireld - Walker
Lloris
Do you want to guess how many times that line up has played this season? Zero.

I really like Wanyama, I think he has been a great signing and shown to be a lot more than what a lot of us thought he was but when on form, he is no Eric Dier in the way we play. I don't want to go as far as to say Wanyama has affected our style of play because he's been effective himself but Dembele/Dier last year was one of, if not the best central midfield pairing in the country and they worked well. Dier's quick forward passing allowed us to transition into attack quickly whilst Dembele moved forward WITH the ball effortlessly. This season, Wanyama doesn't pass forward as incisively as Dier did, but he's arguably a lot better without the ball, I also feel him and Dembele don't work as effectively as Dembele and Dier (though they haven't played nearly as enough)

Central midfield is the most important position on the pitch. We haven't had a settled central midfield pairing. From starting off with the VERY defensive Dier/Wanyama to then going with Wanyama/Dembele to Wanyama/Alli and then back to Wanyama/Dembele again - it's not settled. Wanyama now seems undroppable in the eyes of Pochettino.

I just wish I could see us field that starting eleven again.

Not a win, barely a goal. In defence, Walker is making too many mistakes. Dier isn't looking like a CB. Trippier and Wimmer look like they should get a chance.
Midfield, Sissoko looks like crap, Wanyama is a red card waiting to happen. How much did we spend on the non-appearance of Nkoudou? Dier looked pretty O.K. there last season. And we could have probably bought Joe Allen as a better bet than the 3 we bought.
Son always looks busy but his final touch is invariably one touch too many. Either shoot or pass...
Janssen, it's about time he actually kicked the ball towards the opposition goal rather than just from the penalty spot.
Eriksen? compared to last season, he's providing nothing.
The only decent signing we've made in the last couple of years is Alderweireld oh and Ali but he needs to learn to not fall over.

Wanyama is a quality signing, have you watched many games this season?:pochserious:

Chemistry is shot mate.

Dier and Alli last season would kill for one another in midfield. Dier has been relegated for wanyama. As much as I like wanyama I see no chemistry. Walker is suffering from having no buddy in front of him.

Eriksen looks bereft. No one around him to play off.

It's a mess alright

Our best and strongest team last season was:

Kane
Eriksen - Alli - Lamela
Dembele - Dier
Rose - Vertonghen - Alderweireld - Walker
Lloris
Do you want to guess how many times that line up has played this season? Zero.

Alderweireld is a BIG loss but Wimmer is a pretty decent alternative. I know Dier wanted to play as a CB but (a bit like Bale converting from left back) he converted well to midfield.

I really like Wanyama, I think he has been a great signing and shown to be a lot more than what a lot of us thought he was but when on form, he is no Eric Dier in the way we play. I don't want to go as far as to say Wanyama has affected our style of play because he's been effective himself but Dembele/Dier last year was one of, if not the best central midfield pairing in the country and they worked well. Dier's quick forward passing allowed us to transition into attack quickly whilst Dembele moved forward WITH the ball effortlessly. This season, Wanyama doesn't pass forward as incisively as Dier did, but he's arguably a lot better without the ball, I also feel him and Dembele don't work as effectively as Dembele and Dier (though they haven't played nearly as enough)
I still think Wanyama is an accident waiting to happen.

Central midfield is the most important position on the pitch. We haven't had a settled central midfield pairing. From starting off with the VERY defensive Dier/Wanyama to then going with Wanyama/Dembele to Wanyama/Alli and then back to Wanyama/Dembele again - it's not settled. Wanyama now seems undroppable in the eyes of Pochettino.
I just wish I could see us field that starting eleven again.

The other big problem is that both Rose and Dembele are becoming too prone to injury.
Davies is OK but not quite the player Rose is. When a cross does arrive from e.g. Rose or Walker there's bugger all Tottenham players near the oppo's penalty spot to cater with it!

Alderweireld is a BIG loss but Wimmer is a pretty decent alternative. I know Dier wanted to play as a CB but (a bit like Bale converting from left back) he converted well to midfield.

I still think Wanyama is an accident waiting to happen.

The other big problem is that both Rose and Dembele are becoming too prone to injury.
Davies is OK but not quite the player Rose is. When a cross does arrive from e.g. Rose or Walker there's bugger all Tottenham players near the oppo's penalty spot to cater with it!

I think Alderweireld is a bigger loss than all of us realise - the problems with our goalsoring all seemed to stem from when he got injured, which may surprise many considering he's a defender. Kane got injured and we scored 4 goals in our next 2 games. Alderweireld is crucial to our play simply with his passing alone. I don't see Dier as a centre half and still think he is much better then Wanyama in midfield, however I can't fault Wanyama at the moment and deserves his place ahead of Dier (even if the chemistry isn't the same).

I think Dembele just has deep-lying issues. Not as serious as Ledley but I think Dembele will always have knocks here and there, he always either seems to have problems with his hip or his ankle, probably due to not having surgery on them when needed or playing through it in the past - so he has to be treated carefully. Rose should be starting every single game for me. So should Walker, they are crucial to how we play.

Chemistry is shot mate.

Dier and Alli last season would kill for one another in midfield. Dier has been relegated for wanyama. As much as I like wanyama I see no chemistry. Walker is suffering from having no buddy in front of him.

Eriksen looks bereft. No one around him to play off.

It's a mess alright
Well put... fella. Dier was key last year. Somehow he's fallen behind wanyama. Like you, I think Victor is a top lad. But there's something missing without Dier & Alli playing in their positions & building so much both offensively & defensively as they did last year. Walker had his worst game in a Spurs shirt tonight. But it's been coming.

I thought eriksen was ok tonight though? He's there all the time & doesn't shy away. But at times he does look lost out there when there is no outlet. Taking pot shots like he was???

This post has more melts than a good "raclette".
Shame on you all.
This is the best period of sustained form in my lifetime, I'm 48 for fucks sake.
Yes, we lost tonight, yes, we need Kane, yes, we need goals.
Just fuckin remember, when twitchy took over we were going through probably the worst time in our history. Eight years on, we are competing on a regular basis. Please don't turn into that lot down the road, thinking that we are entitled, we are not entitled.
I would rather be where we are now than where we were pre 2007.
COYS.

Ok four weeks from hell is a bit of a bloody overstatement. Four weeks ago we beat bloody Manchester City, we are still unbeaten, we are only a couple of points off top. And we are 5 points clear of Manchester United who spent outrageous amounts of money. We may be a bit off colour at the moment but blood hell calm down.

However, we are clearly in an average bit of form. Think to point out Walker and Wanyama is idiotic as they have probably been our best two players thus far this season. I am sorry I simply don't rate Janssen, he can hold up the ball well but what people are saying about him now is the same things people were saying about Bobby. I want him to do well but he just doesn't look up to our standard. However this isn't helped by the lack of service from those behind him, Eriksen, Lamela, Alli, Sissoko whoever is playing in those positions needs to start taking a bit of responsibility and taking games by the scruff of the neck. Sissoko is average, although he is a back up player and I am sure the intention wasn't to use him as much as we have had to. Dembele's injuries and suspension have been massive, he is by far and away our best player and hasn't been able to reach full stride. Dier does not look comfortable in centre back, and to be honest I would rather see Wimmer play even though it means to left sided centre backs. Eriksen goes missing too often, but is unfairly judged as I think he is not suited to the 4-1-4-1 and needs more of a free role. Without Kane we don't have many players who really look like scoring. Playing at Wembley is a big ask, everyone is pumped to play there and looks like we go all Spursy when we play there, I am shitting myself at the prospect of us playing there every week next season, we will have to have some very good away form if we want to get Champions League. However, we are still in 5th and close to the top 4, so all is well :)

I agree with Totti Totti We are yet to play our best XI this season. At the end of last season and during pre-season Spurs fans were generally in agreement that our first team was set and that it didn't need any changes - we just needed cover and greater depth in certain positions.

I think with the new arrivals and promotion of certain youth players Poch is trying to be too clever in rotation, mixing it up and getting players to play in different positions. Adaptability is great but should only need to resort to it when we have to. Plan B and all that. Of course, injuries have forced his hand somewhat but there is a sense that he should just play our best XI every game. When the fixtures become congested then we will need pre-emptive rotation, no doubt. But at the moment we just need to keep it simple.

There is of course the psychological thing. I still don't think we have recovered from the way last season ended. The West Brom and Chelsea games seem to have really scarred some of the boys. England's shitshow at the Euros compounded it as well, of course.

In all though as Yid7 Yid7 says we've never had it so good in our recent history. I, for one, still remember the 90s.

If we're honest we've been shit 95/100 since we kicked off against West ham in March .

This is the result of the manager's attrition style of play and training methods. The players are simply knackered.
Expect it to get worse as the season progresses.

Back
Top Bottom