Four weeks of hell.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This post has more melts than a good "raclette".
Shame on you all.
This is the best period of sustained form in my lifetime, I'm 48 for fucks sake.
Yes, we lost tonight, yes, we need Kane, yes, we need goals.
Just fuckin remember, when twitchy took over we were going through probably the worst time in our history. Eight years on, we are competing on a regular basis. Please don't turn into that lot down the road, thinking that we are entitled, we are not entitled.
I would rather be where we are now than where we were pre 2007.
COYS.

Chemistry is shot mate.

Dier and Alli last season would kill for one another in midfield. Dier has been relegated for wanyama. As much as I like wanyama I see no chemistry. Walker is suffering from having no buddy in front of him.

Eriksen looks bereft. No one around him to play off.

It's a mess alright

If anyone thinks we've played even close to our potential in the last few matches, they are fucking mental.

If anyone thinks there are massive problems in the squad and our good players have all become shite, they are fucking mental.

The truth is in between these two extremes. We are going through a dodgy patch, with a number of key injuries, so we can certainly excuse the performances and results. What we can't do is sit with our heads up our arses pretending everything is wonderful. There's a huge great area been happy clapping and melting.

Not a win, barely a goal. In defence, Walker is making too many mistakes. Dier isn't looking like a CB. Trippier and Wimmer look like they should get a chance.
Midfield, Sissoko looks like crap, Wanyama is a red card waiting to happen. How much did we spend on the non-appearance of Nkoudou? Dier looked pretty O.K. there last season. And we could have probably bought Joe Allen as a better bet than the 3 we bought.
Son always looks busy but his final touch is invariably one touch too many. Either shoot or pass...
Janssen, it's about time he actually kicked the ball towards the opposition goal rather than just from the penalty spot.
Eriksen? compared to last season, he's providing nothing.
The only decent signing we've made in the last couple of years is Alderweireld oh and Ali but he needs to learn to not fall over.

If you think that this is 4 weeks of hell, you've led a very sheltered life.

Raymond Verheijen is a fucking tool, he only chirps up whenever a pressing team has an injury...not a fucking peep when we went all last season without a major injury...now the same training methods are shit because we have a few.

Our best and strongest team last season was:

Kane
Eriksen - Alli - Lamela
Dembele - Dier
Rose - Vertonghen - Alderweireld - Walker
Lloris
Do you want to guess how many times that line up has played this season? Zero.

I really like Wanyama, I think he has been a great signing and shown to be a lot more than what a lot of us thought he was but when on form, he is no Eric Dier in the way we play. I don't want to go as far as to say Wanyama has affected our style of play because he's been effective himself but Dembele/Dier last year was one of, if not the best central midfield pairing in the country and they worked well. Dier's quick forward passing allowed us to transition into attack quickly whilst Dembele moved forward WITH the ball effortlessly. This season, Wanyama doesn't pass forward as incisively as Dier did, but he's arguably a lot better without the ball, I also feel him and Dembele don't work as effectively as Dembele and Dier (though they haven't played nearly as enough)

Central midfield is the most important position on the pitch. We haven't had a settled central midfield pairing. From starting off with the VERY defensive Dier/Wanyama to then going with Wanyama/Dembele to Wanyama/Alli and then back to Wanyama/Dembele again - it's not settled. Wanyama now seems undroppable in the eyes of Pochettino.

I just wish I could see us field that starting eleven again.

Best start to the season for 26 years, in the Champions League for only the 2nd time in our history.

Oh what fresh hell.

Yes, things could be better, but let's remember that last season I'm pretty sure Kane had only scored 1 league goal up until around the end of October, last season. We never have a good start, it just so happens that we've scraped through with some results for once!

Every game is painful to watch. I honestly believe that Potch is AVB reincarnated. Six games now without a goal from open play. I was once told that football is meant to be entertaining, but the person who told me may have been mistaken. I have had enough, Poch out !!

Nerves could be playing a part but that said our senior pros were as bad as the young ones the other night

I would not advocate this but I remember getting nervous before a big rugby match in my youth ( derby, scouts there blah blah)

Anyway I decided to ease my nerves by going out in bath the night before for a quiet couple of pints of the famous Dublin brew

Anyway after a couple and getting in pissed up on sambuca at 4 am I went to game to find I had been selected in the second row

I hated playing in the pack ( as I am a soft twat) anyway I went out and got on with it, and as we crouched in for the first scrum my bowels felt the urge to get rid of some nasty gasses.......needless to say I was swift ly moved to the wing, where I scored two tries and more importantly it avoided our number 8 kicking the shit out of me.....

I am not sure why i am typing this? It has no relevance, but I am on a train.........

This is from his wikipedia page, sums him up perfectly...
Verheijen was appointed to the position of Assistant Manager to the Wales national team in February 2011, managed at the time by Gary Speed and in March 2011 made the news for his use of Twitter.

Two weeks after the death of Wales' national team manager Gary Speed, Verheijen said that he would like to become the new Wales manager and continue Speed's legacy (he described it as "Gary's wish"). His comments courted controversy, Speed had been buried two days earlier and the comments were considered by some to be inappropriate. They were described as "selfish" by former Wales international Iwan Roberts. In January 2012, he suggested that Wales should hire a foreigner as their new manager. On 19 January 2012, Chris Coleman was appointed Wales team manager as successor to his friend Gary Speed. Verheijen's contract was due to expire at the end of 2011, but he remained in the position until February 2012, when he resigned. In December 2012 Verheijen criticised the FAW, stating that they had "destroyed" the "legacy" of Gary Speed. On 10 October 2015, Wales' qualification for UEFA Euro 2016 was confirmed meaning that Coleman had led Wales to their first tournament qualification since 1958.

5 year plan.

Fuck off Poch.

Hire the "Proper Football Man" dream team of Redknapps (Snr and Jr), Timmy Gillet (changed his name to sound more exotic and get more jobs), Malky Mackay (didn't rape anyone), and Alan Pardew (a "Young English Manager" and Spurs through and through). No director of football though (What do they do Jeff?)

442, proper wingers (on the right sides), fucking run around a bit and whip some balls into the box. You don't win things with tactics or systems, just top, top players. You can dig the blackboard out the skip if you want, but NO computers - they give me a headache. Retire the No10 because "They only call themselves that cos they cant score goals"

Win the European Cup and then drive off into the sunset in your Ford Capri.

Ok four weeks from hell is a bit of a bloody overstatement. Four weeks ago we beat bloody Manchester City, we are still unbeaten, we are only a couple of points off top. And we are 5 points clear of Manchester United who spent outrageous amounts of money. We may be a bit off colour at the moment but blood hell calm down.

However, we are clearly in an average bit of form. Think to point out Walker and Wanyama is idiotic as they have probably been our best two players thus far this season. I am sorry I simply don't rate Janssen, he can hold up the ball well but what people are saying about him now is the same things people were saying about Bobby. I want him to do well but he just doesn't look up to our standard. However this isn't helped by the lack of service from those behind him, Eriksen, Lamela, Alli, Sissoko whoever is playing in those positions needs to start taking a bit of responsibility and taking games by the scruff of the neck. Sissoko is average, although he is a back up player and I am sure the intention wasn't to use him as much as we have had to. Dembele's injuries and suspension have been massive, he is by far and away our best player and hasn't been able to reach full stride. Dier does not look comfortable in centre back, and to be honest I would rather see Wimmer play even though it means to left sided centre backs. Eriksen goes missing too often, but is unfairly judged as I think he is not suited to the 4-1-4-1 and needs more of a free role. Without Kane we don't have many players who really look like scoring. Playing at Wembley is a big ask, everyone is pumped to play there and looks like we go all Spursy when we play there, I am shitting myself at the prospect of us playing there every week next season, we will have to have some very good away form if we want to get Champions League. However, we are still in 5th and close to the top 4, so all is well :)

Yes, it's now a case of third season syndrome. Mourinho does the same to his sides. Last season really was their chance...

Mourinho struggles in his third season because his players start to realise what a cockwomble he is, our players have a tailor made fitness regime to ensure they have more stamina and strength than other sides, how the hell can they be fatigued 2 months in to the season?!

Last edited:
Not a win, barely a goal. In defence, Walker is making too many mistakes. Dier isn't looking like a CB. Trippier and Wimmer look like they should get a chance.
Midfield, Sissoko looks like crap, Wanyama is a red card waiting to happen. How much did we spend on the non-appearance of Nkoudou? Dier looked pretty O.K. there last season. And we could have probably bought Joe Allen as a better bet than the 3 we bought.
Son always looks busy but his final touch is invariably one touch too many. Either shoot or pass...
Janssen, it's about time he actually kicked the ball towards the opposition goal rather than just from the penalty spot.
Eriksen? compared to last season, he's providing nothing.
The only decent signing we've made in the last couple of years is Alderweireld oh and Ali but he needs to learn to not fall over.

I cant disagree with much of this. I really don't understand why we're not playing Wimmer who looks more solid than Dier in a CB position.

In attack we want too many touches. Do we really expect teams to let us set up a shot nicely, just the way we want it? Sissoko is a shocking player, it makes me feel physically sick that we spent £30M on him when he was a known quantity. Eriksen just seems dead inside; he just doesn't look like he's playing with any joy at all. The football we are dishing up at the moment is absolute pants, I just don't understand why really..

Back
Top Bottom