Four weeks of hell.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think you've been reading too many Martin Samuel articles
I've not actually read any of his articles.
As I see it, the problem is simple: Fatigue.
This is the problem with Poch's methods. When a human being is fatigued, they start making sub-optimal decisions.
And last night's performance was simply the result of 11 fatigued players making sub-optimal decisions.

This post has more melts than a good "raclette".
Shame on you all.
This is the best period of sustained form in my lifetime, I'm 48 for fucks sake.
Yes, we lost tonight, yes, we need Kane, yes, we need goals.
Just fuckin remember, when twitchy took over we were going through probably the worst time in our history. Eight years on, we are competing on a regular basis. Please don't turn into that lot down the road, thinking that we are entitled, we are not entitled.
I would rather be where we are now than where we were pre 2007.
COYS.

Did you miss our last adventure in the Champs League, when we killed it in the group stages?

Redknapp's side was better than this one.

Not a win, barely a goal. In defence, Walker is making too many mistakes. Dier isn't looking like a CB. Trippier and Wimmer look like they should get a chance.
Midfield, Sissoko looks like crap, Wanyama is a red card waiting to happen. How much did we spend on the non-appearance of Nkoudou? Dier looked pretty O.K. there last season. And we could have probably bought Joe Allen as a better bet than the 3 we bought.
Son always looks busy but his final touch is invariably one touch too many. Either shoot or pass...
Janssen, it's about time he actually kicked the ball towards the opposition goal rather than just from the penalty spot.
Eriksen? compared to last season, he's providing nothing.
The only decent signing we've made in the last couple of years is Alderweireld oh and Ali but he needs to learn to not fall over.

If you think that this is 4 weeks of hell, you've led a very sheltered life.

Did you not see us play last season? You missed yourself. I'd certainly say we were in much better form for most of last season than we are now. Apologies if that's melting.

Did you miss our last adventure in the Champs League, when we killed it in the group stages?

Redknapp's side was better than this one.

The "Best Period" that I'm referring to is the last 8/9 seasons, not just the present season. It is the best sustained period in the time that I have been following Spurs. I started my toxic relationship back in 72. I include the European and domestic honours won in that time because whilst we were winning trophies, we were pretty erratic in the league. That has changed since Redknapp and Poch got involved, that's all I was getting at.

Yes, it's now a case of third season syndrome. Mourinho does the same to his sides. Last season really was their chance...

Mourinho struggles in his third season because his players start to realise what a cockwomble he is, our players have a tailor made fitness regime to ensure they have more stamina and strength than other sides, how the hell can they be fatigued 2 months in to the season?!

Last edited:
Not a win, barely a goal. In defence, Walker is making too many mistakes. Dier isn't looking like a CB. Trippier and Wimmer look like they should get a chance.
Midfield, Sissoko looks like crap, Wanyama is a red card waiting to happen. How much did we spend on the non-appearance of Nkoudou? Dier looked pretty O.K. there last season. And we could have probably bought Joe Allen as a better bet than the 3 we bought.
Son always looks busy but his final touch is invariably one touch too many. Either shoot or pass...
Janssen, it's about time he actually kicked the ball towards the opposition goal rather than just from the penalty spot.
The only decent signing we've made in the last couple of years is Alderweireld oh and Ali but he needs to learn to not fall over.

I cant disagree with much of this. I really don't understand why we're not playing Wimmer who looks more solid than Dier in a CB position.

In attack we want too many touches. Do we really expect teams to let us set up a shot nicely, just the way we want it? Sissoko is a shocking player, it makes me feel physically sick that we spent £30M on him when he was a known quantity. Eriksen just seems dead inside; he just doesn't look like he's playing with any joy at all. The football we are dishing up at the moment is absolute pants, I just don't understand why really..

Best start to the season for 26 years, in the Champions League for only the 2nd time in our history.

Oh what fresh hell.

Yes, things could be better, but let's remember that last season I'm pretty sure Kane had only scored 1 league goal up until around the end of October, last season. We never have a good start, it just so happens that we've scraped through with some results for once!

Mourinho struggles in his third season because his players start to realise what a cockwomble he is, our players have a tailor made fitness regime to ensure they have more stamina and strength than other sides, how the hell can they be fatigued 2 months in to the season?!

Because the majority of them were playing in the summer Euros. They have had at most 1 month's rest. Add to that the intensity of the play towards the end of last season, and you get one thing, Fatigue.

It's not just Poch's sides which get fatigued. His mentor Biesla also knackered his sides out, so that they didn't really win anything.

Poch needs to change if he actually wants to win something, but I don't think that is going to happen.

Hey Buddy! My new album is out this week, it might help??

Because the majority of them were playing in the summer Euros. They have had at most 1 month's rest. Add to that the intensity of the play towards the end of last season, and you get one thing, Fatigue.

It's not just Poch's sides which get fatigued. His mentor Biesla also knackered his sides out, so that they didn't really win anything.

Poch needs to change if he actually wants to win something, but I don't think that is going to happen.
You could write Poch a letter mate. With your expertise, knowledge and infinite wisdom on Sports science I'm sure he will be all ears. Or are you getting your info from the tabloids and their narrative building?

Did you not see us play last season? You missed yourself. I'd certainly say we were in much better form for most of last season than we are now. Apologies if that's melting.
Apparently, if you're not predicting a 3-0 win every week then you are a melt. At least when we get turned over by the Wanderers on sunday the 'thought police' who patrol this forum won't be able to bring up the 'we still haven't lost in the league yet' statement, like it has any relevance at all.

Apparently, if you're not predicting a 3-0 win every week then you are a melt. At least when we get turned over by the Wanderers on sunday the 'thought police' who patrol this forum won't be able to bring up the 'we still haven't lost in the league yet' statement, like it has any relevance at all.
Of course it has relevance. It demonstrates that as shit as we have been in scoring goals our defensive solidity has continued to win us points. It's boring as fuck and painful to watch but it isn't irrelevant.

Of course it has relevance. It demonstrates that as shit as we have been in scoring goals our defensive solidity has continued to win us points. It's boring as fuck and painful to watch but it isn't irrelevant.
Yeah, 3 points out of 9 in the last three matches. Win two and lose one gives a much better return, but let's keep banging the 'not lost' drum.

I was making the point that 'not losing' in itself doesn't necessarily mean a lot, when most of the results are draws. You could go the whole season not losing and get relegated.
I totally agree with that. I'm just trying to take the positive though. We're always going to go through a bad run. All teams are. Being unbeaten during a bad spell is not to be scoffed at imo

I totally agree with that. I'm just trying to take the positive though. We're always going to go through a bad run. All teams are. Being unbeaten during a bad spell is not to be scoffed at imo
So am I mate, but performances since the Man City game have been steadily getting worse. The Champions League result on wednesday wasn't just a set-back, it was bloody embarassing.

Back
Top Bottom