Expectations for the season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pushing for champions league at least. A top 6 position would not be a disaster but I think we can get fourth. With the right draw we can probably have a decent cup run in the champions league. Personally I am not too bothered about domestic cups (I know that sounds bad) but some decent ties would be nice. Christ can we have Millwall already?

I want us to build on last year's good league form until we collapsed at the end. The two signings we have made have been good as we needed cover in both positions, so I'm excited but also apprehensive about how the season will pan out as it's Spurs we are talking about afterall expwcted the unexpected.

So, It's going to be tough to get top four this year but we should be aiming for top for but realistically a top 5 finish would be a good season.

As a typical spurs fans of over 30 years, the F.A Cup always holds a special place in my heart and it's been far too long since we won it. So like every year, I want to win the cup. The league cup I'm not bothered about but if we get to the quarters then we should take it seriously, a trophy is a trophy at the end of the day.

As for the Champions league, lets joy the games being played at Wembley. It's going to be tough as the visiting teams will enjoy the occasion as well, so if we qualify past the group stage that would be a good.

Worth keeping in mind when thinking about the competition:

It's not just about who you bought, it's who you got rid of.

And Jose has not a great history of coping with dressing room unhappiness.

There's plenty of behind the scenes stuff that we/media don't think about that does affect team performance.

It's the PL's closest top-5 ever (to this point in the season). I still think we can make the top 4 this year, but it's going to be a bloody slog, and our attacking midfield will need to more consistently pull their weight for us to do it.

Then again, with the injuries we've had, it might just be that he's picking sides with damage limitation in mind.

Despite the injuries I havent seen one game we havent tried to win....I dont think he´s a damage limitation kind of manager. We´ve been wasteful up top, its not always the tactics.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think there is a right or wrong.
Most top teams rest players in the cups.
It will always be a debatable issue.

Finishing top 4 has become more important than winning some of the cups. Again, its another debate.

The only thing I am dead against, is playing half a best team & half youngsters/subs.
You won't win the europa doing that & you just tire out your best players for no reason.
Either play our best team or all subs & youngsters.

Bur that's just my opinion. Poch might be right & we can win cups with half our best team.
I don't see it.

As for developing players, I am a big fan of sending players out on loan.
I don't think 3 or 4 cup games all season is anywhere near enough to develop.
I'd rather they had a season playing in the championship.

Would certainly mix it up a bit if winner of the FA cup took the 4th CL spot.... doubt it would ever happen though :pochrolleyes:

I'm not hugely bothered about a big cup run. I want a good champions league and strong showing in the domestic league. Apart from that I'm happy. The league cup and FA cup are okay as spectacles, but I rarely look forward to cup games as much as I do seeing full strength teams. Top 4 for me. That's my biggest expectation.

Premier League:
Top five finish - I think top four is going to be a lot harder this year, regardless of if three of the top clubs have new managers. They are top managers with great squads. We are a settled team and there wouldn't be any harm in finishing fifth. Finishing in the top four would show how good we and Pochettino are though.

League Cup:
At least quarter finals of this competition. Hated how we went out to Woolwich in the 3rd round last season. We did play a weakened team but we shouldn't have lost to two Flamini goals. I think a mix of fringe players and the talented young players can see us through and will be exciting to see the youngsters in this competition now we aren't in the Europa League.

FA Cup:
So annoying getting knocked out by Crystal Palace last season, who of course went on to the final, especially at home. I think we are more than capable of getting to the final of the competition and for god sake its a long time coming. 25 years since we got to even the final of this competition, let's do it please.

Champions League:
Qualify from what is likely to be a very tough group considering the pots and go from there. Anything from there would be a great bonus for us. I'm so excited for the competition and to see all of our fans singing their hearts out at Wembley! What a great scene that's going to be.

To show guts, passion and heart.
Not to run out of steam in the final sprint.
To get Champions league again and havea good run in this years tournament. FA final would be nice as well.
To take more points of the Gooners than they do us,and hopefully finish above them.
Beat West ham twice

I'll be realistic and not greedy

- Top 5 in the league
- Getting out of the group stage in the CL
- Cup final

I feel this would be successful for us

Cup final is in my wants list. I doubt it will happen. Think we'll scrape past with a 4th place finish and think we'll make it to the semi's in CL.

I find that a little strange Mate..

We give everything all season to try and finish in the CL places.. What's the point if we don't give a fuck about the competition when we achieve our goal?

It would take a campaign beyond anyones wildest dreams to win it but we have to at least give it a good go and give a good account of ourselves ( like last time )

I guess I could've worded it better

I just think realistically we're not going to win it, so I'd much rather concentrate on something we do have a chance of winning I.e either of the domestic cups

I'm not stupid enough to think that we'll prioritise those ahead of the CL though, given the money that it generates

Back
Top Bottom