Expectations for the season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Another finish in the top 4 would be nice, means that our 3rd from last season isn't a fluke or down to anyone else not turning up. Would be nice to win a cup as it's been a long time.

This article a change from the normal....

Premier League 2016-17 previews No17: Tottenham Hotspur | David Hytner

Guardian writers’ predicted position 3rd (NB: this is not necessarily David Hytner’s prediction but the average of our writers’ tips)

Last season’s position 3rd

Odds to win the league (via Oddschecker) 8-1

Mauricio Pochettino wanted to sign Victor Wanyama from his former club Southampton in the summer of last year. It did not happen. Southampton made it plain that they would not countenance it. Above all, the timing was wrong.

Pochettino shrugged and he told Daniel Levy, his chairman at Tottenham Hotspur, not to worry. He had a backup plan, which was to turn the defender Eric Dier into a high-calibre defensive midfielder. There was external scepticism at the time but it proved to be a masterstroke. Dier was one of the stand-out players in what was a stellar season for the club.

Job done? Position locked down? Apparently not. Pochettino moved again for Wanyama this summer and, this time, the timing was right. The commanding Kenyan became his first signing of the close season and, at £11m, it felt like value, too.

Pochettino was in a position of strength but he wanted to build; he wanted more. The manager knew that he would be without Mousa Dembélé, his other starting central midfielder, for the first four games of the season because of the punishment for his eye gouge on Chelsea’s Diego Costa last May. But, also, he wanted greater competition, options and flexibility. Dier and Dembélé will not be able to play all of the time, particularly as there is a campaign in the more gruelling Champions League to factor in.

The move for Wanyama cut to the heart of Pochettino’s approach; how he is seeking to grow the club and why there are credible reasons for optimism at Tottenham regarding the short and longer term.

Pochettino is obsessed by profiling, and it takes in data that relates to conditioning, nutrition and sports science. In terms of recruitment, his signings must tick specific boxes, physically and mentally. Wanyama, whom Pochettino brought to Southampton from Celtic in July 2013 for £12.5m, ticks them all.

Pochettino’s players are imposing – almost all of his favoured starting XI from last season stood at six feet or higher – and they have tremendous stamina. Moreover, they must be tactically flexible and able to play in at least two positions. Wanyama offers an option in central defence. One of Pochettino’s reasons for selling Andros Townsend to Newcastle United last January was that the winger shone on only one flank.

Pochettino also insists upon good characters and there are no big-time Charlies in his squad these days. One small example from last week shone a light on the collective attitude. It was the day for the broadcasters to film their walk-up shots and take other assorted photographs, and players can consider it a pain and behave as such. At Tottenham, it went smoothly and professionally.

The clincher on the Wanyama deal was the fee, which was relatively low because he had only one year to run on his contract. With the stadium rebuild to finance, these things matter at Tottenham; largesse over the next two years is a nonstarter. They intend to enter the 61,000-capacity arena in 2018-19.

The note of worry at Tottenham concerns the manner in which their rivals have attacked the transfer market. It is difficult to quantify how greatly the other top clubs will be improved by their signings but it is clear that when two of them (and counting?) have lavished nine-figure sums on fees alone, it represents a shake-up. Tottenham cannot compete on these terms at present and they have felt the tremors, which have emanated most strongly from Manchester. This Premier League is going to be so tough.

Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Harry Kane during pre-season training with Tottenham. Photograph: Tottenham Hotspur FC/Tottenham Hotspur FC via Getty I
But the glass feels half-full, primarily because of Pochettino and the precision and vigour of his methods. In so many ways, he is the ideal manager for Tottenham, as they plot the transition into the new stadium. The Argentinian is determined to make stars, rather than buy them, and he leads from the front with his work ethic and attention to detail.

Last edited:
Premier League: Top 5

Domestic Cups: Would love to win one of them

Champions League: All down to the group that we get but I would like to think we could make the quarters.

Just over 50 hours until the season starts I can't wait

Top 4 finish.

Get out of the CL group stages.

Anything else, realistically, is a bonus. No one competes well on every front, so don't expect to do well in the league, FA cup, EFL cup and the CL. It isn't going to happen. Fans and Manager will need to realise this and prioritise one or the other (Like Poch did with the Europa last season).

(Just to clarify I expect us to finish in the top 4, not to finish 4th, before someone says "He predicts we'll win the league then claims we'll finish 4th")

The only things that stop me from thinking we can win the league are the squad not being strong enough, and our/Poch's habit of finishing seasons badly. If we get knocked out of the CL early, and we somehow tweak the fitness regime in order to give us enough juice left for the final push, I honestly think we can do it. Two big ifs though.

I think another top four finish and a good run in the CL would be a successful outcome. I'm not as hopeful as others for decent domestic cup runs as I don't think we will prioritise them at all. It will be the teams with the better squads and mid-table sides (as we saw with Palace) who will do well in them.

I think we'll be 3rd-5th, with a CL qyater-final exit. Would love 73+ points, 3rd or better and at least the CL semis, but am sure we're not allowed to have nice things.

i think anyone thinking we'll win any silverware this year, or even get a European place, is deluding themselves

Our first team is too mentally weak & inexperienced still. Our squad is too thin. Some will point to coming 3rd (should have/ coukd have been 2nd) last season, but our competitors imploded spectacularly & I can't see that happening again - & they've all strengthened considerably, while we've (arguably at that) strengthened very marginally

I don't think we'll progress very far at all in any cups. We might priorities one for the sake of form but can't see beyond a semi final in the FA or League at best, I think we'll be dumped out of the CL after the group stages (is that round of 16?) & I hope we'll make top 6 & qualify for Europa. But that'll be tough ...

Sorry - not blindly optimistic, but that's how I see things at the moment

Just watching the fights and fouls clip v Chelski last season. I hope we get another crack at them and finish it off with a win and the fights

i think anyone thinking we'll win any silverware this year, or even get a European place, is deluding themselves

Our first team is too mentally weak & inexperienced still. Our squad is too thin. Some will point to coming 3rd (should have/ coukd have been 2nd) last season, but our competitors imploded spectacularly & I can't see that happening again - & they've all strengthened considerably, while we've (arguably at that) strengthened very marginally

I don't think we'll progress very far at all in any cups. We might priorities one for the sake of form but can't see beyond a semi final in the FA or League at best, I think we'll be dumped out of the CL after the group stages (is that round of 16?) & I hope we'll make top 6 & qualify for Europa. But that'll be tough ...

Sorry - not blindly optimistic, but that's how I see things at the moment
Account for yourself.

Wasn't sure where to put from Football365 regarding pre-season predictions...

4) Tottenham’s chance had gone
It’s not that everyone thought that Tottenham under Mauricio Pochettino would suddenly lose their ability to carry out his High-Intensity Press™, but that the investment by other clubs across the Premier League would make this season harder than last for Tottenham. That was demonstrated in our always shambolic season predictions, in which only one of the five idiots asked (Nick Miller, who is now not classed as an idiot) predicted Spurs to finish in the top four.

Clearly Tottenham have not yet achieved anything in 2016/17, and may well require added investment to do so in January, but nobody saw them being the only unbeaten team in the country as we enter late-October. The display against Manchester City was the best single team performance in the Premier League this season.

We kept our squad together, to think we could not be on par or improve was a bit silly, considering all around us were going through some massive changes. Looks like spending silly money is still no guarantee of success and stability is what is really needed.

and our attacking midfield will need to more consistently pull their weight for us to do it.
The three behind the striker is where we need to see improvements imo. The likes of Son, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen and Sissoko are all good players, who on their day can do amazing stuff, but none of them are absolutely top-class, not right now at least, of course in the future they could still improve a lot. At the moment though they lack consistency and dare I say it... just a bit of extra quality as well.

Where City have de Bruyne and Silva (although the latter has regressed a bit compared to how good he used to be...), Chelsea have Hazard, Woolwich have Ozil and Sanchez, Liverpool have Coutinho and United have Pogba (needs some time, but will get there imo), we just don't have players of that extra class playing in those positions. We used to have them in Bale and VDV, but haven't come close to that since.

Our team can match any other in pretty much every position, but in the three behind the striker we come up short imo, that is where we could do with at least one top-class addition. Even the likes of West Ham and Leicester arguably have a better player in that position than we have in Payet and Mahrez respectively.

Last edited:
Some sort of silverware please.

We lambasted the likes of Woolwich for going 9 years without a trophy. Well, we're going to be going 9 years without a trophy if we don't win one at the end of this season.

I still think we can win it. Early days but right now it seems like it could be any of 6 teams.
Agreed. If our attacking midfielders (especially Eriken and Lamela) start to deliver the passing we need (which hasn't happened lately) then we could really jump up. The next 6 games are the biggest test of this. Good results in those set us up very well for the rest of the season.

4th or a cup would be great. Either is a tough ask for poch.

latest

Back
Top Bottom