Expectations for the season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I expect as a realistic target:
  • Top 5 finish
  • Reach at least last 16 of CL
  • Reach at least the quarters of one of the domestic cups
  • At least 6 points from 12 against Woolwich/Chelsea
  • At least 4 points from 6 against WHU
I want as a stretch target:
  • Top 4 finish above Woolwich
  • Either reach at least the quarters of CL, or out in last 16 as long as it's at the hands of Barca/Real/Bayern/PSG/Juve with our heads held high
  • Reach the final of one of the domestic cups
  • At least 8 points from 12 against Woolwich/Chelsea, including finally winning at Stamford Bridge
  • 6 points from 6 against WHU
But most of all, I want to see the sense of togetherness, stability and confidence that the squad seems to have at the moment continue to grow, and for us to hold onto key players. The 17-18 season at Wembley will be a huge challenge, as will the move into the new stadium. So while a League Cup win and a good run in the CL would be amazing, they wouldn't set us up nearly as well for the future as keeping that 'good feeling' going would.

Last edited:
We should target the FA Cup now. Still annoys me to this day we lost to Portsmouth years back, who then had to play Cardiff in the final. That should have been ours, the cup was handed to us on a plate and we fucked it up yet again. Spursy has been around for a long time.
That was one of the hardest defeats I have had to take. I'm sure like most of us (especially back then) it was a very rare occasion that I went to a game in a confident mood. But that game had me bowling up Wembley Way like John Wayne with a bag of Columbian washing powder up me nostrils. I then watch Redknapp getting fisted by Avram fucking Grant. It was fucking torture, their fans wound me up no end, as quite frankly they were probably the loudest fans that i have witnessed at Wembley. They sang and partied their hearts out before, during and after that game.

Thanks for bringing it up Bushy, going to have to punch something now.

In the league, I'd be happy with CL qualification again. Although, I reckon we do have a sniff of the title again considering this team will only know one another even better and thus we'll be a more rounded, fluid side.

3rd.

In the cups, I'd like to win one. Preferably the F.A. Cup, with our youngsters running the show in early rounds of that and the entirety of the League Cup.

In the CL? In all honesty I'd just like to get out the group. We aren't seeded well, so can expect a tough group. But we had that last time and we smashed it. Praying for Barca at some point so I can see Messi in the flesh.

On a playing level I'd just like to see the trend of youngsters making their mark continue. Edwards, Onomah, CCV, Winks, Harrison...there's a lot to choose from and if just one of them has a breakout year it'll be satisfying.

Once again, it'll be the year of Lamela.

Oh, and more moments like this...

wmc12.jpg

We should target the FA Cup now. Still annoys me to this day we lost to Portsmouth years back, who then had to play Cardiff in the final. That should have been ours, the cup was handed to us on a plate and we fucked it up yet again. Spursy has been around for a long time.

Win 38 games in the Premier League with the highest goals total ever.

Knock Woolwich out of the CL in the round of 16 meaning we beat them 7 times (including the FA Cup semi) this season ... 6 times with Wenger as manager and once with their new manager Tony Pulis.

Win the CL beating Real Madrid in the final ... Bale and Modric with tears in their eyes tell the media they should never have left us.

Maybe a decent League Cup run.

Some big teams get a new manager and splash a lot of money, suddenly we are worthless and have no chance. Those teams need to gel, their managers need to adapt, their singings need to too. They will have tough patches this season, all of them.

Spurs needed no make-over or new manager and is gelled. Deadwood left, specific singings joined such as ST and DM back-up + more options on the wing, including two players with vast PL experience. These singings don't need to be rushed as the core of the team that ended 3rd last season stuck together (experienced++) and can give them the time and space to gel.

I think this could well be another year where we surprise against all the odds due to the 'big' teams and their new managers not being consistent enough to challenge yet. COYS!

Im of the opinion that we have a squad so why not use it. Shall we go same 11 for 60 games?
Why look at it as a weak cup team?

The likes of Winks and Onomah will eventually come through as strong first teamers because we trusted them in those "weak" cup teams.
How will we develope our academy and fringe players if we play the first team in the 3rd round of the Carling Cup?

People have pointed to the CL exit and then losing to Chelsea "anyway".....but we gave it a go and produced a strong performance instead of taking it up the rear with a knackered team and losing 7-0 at least..
Yeah, I don't think there is a right or wrong.
Most top teams rest players in the cups.
It will always be a debatable issue.

Finishing top 4 has become more important than winning some of the cups. Again, its another debate.

The only thing I am dead against, is playing half a best team & half youngsters/subs.
You won't win the europa doing that & you just tire out your best players for no reason.
Either play our best team or all subs & youngsters.

Bur that's just my opinion. Poch might be right & we can win cups with half our best team.
I don't see it.

As for developing players, I am a big fan of sending players out on loan.
I don't think 3 or 4 cup games all season is anywhere near enough to develop.
I'd rather they had a season playing in the championship.

Last year I wanted us to play atractive football, when we clicked we did exactly that.

This season I want exactly the same thing, play attractive football. The difference from last season would be for us to put away more teams, take advantage of our dominance by being more ruthless and control games better when holding a lead. If we do this then we will have a much better season than last year, we will win the league but at the cost of sacking off all cups.

Sherwood in by Xmas needing to recreate his previous ppg ratio to keep us up - fails.
Kane becomes the co-host of Woolwich TV in protest after being denied a move to what he declares was his boyhood club.
Levy announces that John Thomas was right and there will be no stadium as he's actually building a volt for all his cash. Spurs to play at hackney marshes next season

Depends.

Comfortable 3-0 win on Saturday = gonna win the league, no question.

Scrappy 1-0 loss = levy is a cunt for not getting the chequebook out, serious relegation fears.

5th or 6th in the league

Couldn't give a fuck about the CL

Give me the FA or LC and I'll be a happy man

I find that a little strange Mate..

We give everything all season to try and finish in the CL places.. What's the point if we don't give a fuck about the competition when we achieve our goal?

It would take a campaign beyond anyones wildest dreams to win it but we have to at least give it a good go and give a good account of ourselves ( like last time )

That was one of the hardest defeats I have had to take. I'm sure like most of us (especially back then) it was a very rare occasion that I went to a game in a confident mood. But that game had me bowling up Wembley Way like John Wayne with a bag of Columbian washing powder up me nostrils. I then watch Redknapp getting fisted by Avram fucking Grant. It was fucking torture, their fans wound me up no end, as quite frankly they were probably the loudest fans that i have witnessed at Wembley. They sang and partied their hearts out before, during and after that game.

Thanks for bringing it up Bushy, going to have to punch something now.

Some of us older supporters will remember losing to Coventry in a FA Cup final. I was there and we were overwhelming favourites at a time when we had an excellent win % at Wembley. Still do not know how we lost it.

Despite the injuries I havent seen one game we havent tried to win....I dont think he´s a damage limitation kind of manager. We´ve been wasteful up, its not always the tactics.

Lack of quality in forward areas, Nkouduo and Janssen will take a season or two, they are young and from outside the league. Winks, Onomah, Edwards are kids, Eriksen, Son, Alli and Lamela are good but not world class.

We have no world class AM, that is the simple difference between us finishing 1st and us finishing 4-5th. A Hazard/Sanchez/Coutinho in our team and we would probably win 20% more games and with our amazing defensive setup win the league.

As it is we could struggle to get top 4, put it this way with Bale in this team I would be right down the bookies placing a bet on the title. Even a Isco or Coric would massively improve our chances.

We are Real Madrid in defence but Everton in attack, it's a shame as we are 1-2 players IMO off picking up the title. That is not an exaggeration either, our defence at full strength is world class our attack is this season at least mediocre.

As the great Bill Nic once said. " Spurs have to be the best in the land, not the second best". These should be our aspirations going in to every season. From the Chairman down.

In the league, I'd be happy with CL qualification again. Although, I reckon we do have a sniff of the title again considering this team will only know one another even better and thus we'll be a more rounded, fluid side.

3rd.

In the cups, I'd like to win one. Preferably the F.A. Cup, with our youngsters running the show in early rounds of that and the entirety of the League Cup.

In the CL? In all honesty I'd just like to get out the group. We aren't seeded well, so can expect a tough group. But we had that last time and we smashed it. Praying for Barca at some point so I can see Messi in the flesh.

On a playing level I'd just like to see the trend of youngsters making their mark continue. Edwards, Onomah, CCV, Winks, Harrison...there's a lot to choose from and if just one of them has a breakout year it'll be satisfying.

Once again, it'll be the year of Lamela.

Oh, and more moments like this...

wmc12.jpg
Welcome back

Back
Top Bottom