Expectations for the season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The new season is upon us again and like every Tottenham fan at the start its full of hope, dreams of glory but being Tottenham end in fecking despair! So what's the realistic goals,the realistic achievement? Personally I'd like a trophy now I'm not naive enough to think champions or league is within reach because sadly I don't think they are! But F.A cup or League cup can be won. As for the league top four is also realistic,settled squad another season with a manager who clearly knows what he wants should work out. In Europe depending on the draw we don't get hammered and confidence is kept up whether we can do the step up in class regards Europe and turn up at the weekend in the league is another story! Lastly playing our rivals City,United,Chavs,Goons we keep our end up show that last season wasn't a one off. Just a extra win at the chavs,finish above the goons happy days.
Roll on Saturday

Above the Arse would be great...FA cup would also be great...top four awesome...I'd like to beat Chelsea at home, that would be great. Another thumping of ManU would be great. A resounding win at both derbies would be great.

Ja that's my wishlist.

premier-league-trophy.jpg

I expect as a realistic target:
  • Top 5 finish
  • Reach at least last 16 of CL
  • Reach at least the quarters of one of the domestic cups
  • At least 6 points from 12 against Woolwich/Chelsea
  • At least 4 points from 6 against WHU
I want as a stretch target:
  • Top 4 finish above Woolwich
  • Either reach at least the quarters of CL, or out in last 16 as long as it's at the hands of Barca/Real/Bayern/PSG/Juve with our heads held high
  • Reach the final of one of the domestic cups
  • At least 8 points from 12 against Woolwich/Chelsea, including finally winning at Stamford Bridge
  • 6 points from 6 against WHU
But most of all, I want to see the sense of togetherness, stability and confidence that the squad seems to have at the moment continue to grow, and for us to hold onto key players. The 17-18 season at Wembley will be a huge challenge, as will the move into the new stadium. So while a League Cup win and a good run in the CL would be amazing, they wouldn't set us up nearly as well for the future as keeping that 'good feeling' going would.

Last edited:
I'm not hugely bothered about a big cup run. I want a good champions league and strong showing in the domestic league. Apart from that I'm happy. The league cup and FA cup are okay as spectacles, but I rarely look forward to cup games as much as I do seeing full strength teams. Top 4 for me. That's my biggest expectation.

Last year I wanted us to play atractive football, when we clicked we did exactly that.

This season I want exactly the same thing, play attractive football. The difference from last season would be for us to put away more teams, take advantage of our dominance by being more ruthless and control games better when holding a lead. If we do this then we will have a much better season than last year, we will win the league but at the cost of sacking off all cups.

Premier League:
Top five finish - I think top four is going to be a lot harder this year, regardless of if three of the top clubs have new managers. They are top managers with great squads. We are a settled team and there wouldn't be any harm in finishing fifth. Finishing in the top four would show how good we and Pochettino are though.

League Cup:
At least quarter finals of this competition. Hated how we went out to Woolwich in the 3rd round last season. We did play a weakened team but we shouldn't have lost to two Flamini goals. I think a mix of fringe players and the talented young players can see us through and will be exciting to see the youngsters in this competition now we aren't in the Europa League.

FA Cup:
So annoying getting knocked out by Crystal Palace last season, who of course went on to the final, especially at home. I think we are more than capable of getting to the final of the competition and for god sake its a long time coming. 25 years since we got to even the final of this competition, let's do it please.

Champions League:
Qualify from what is likely to be a very tough group considering the pots and go from there. Anything from there would be a great bonus for us. I'm so excited for the competition and to see all of our fans singing their hearts out at Wembley! What a great scene that's going to be.

To show guts, passion and heart.
Not to run out of steam in the final sprint.
To get Champions league again and havea good run in this years tournament. FA final would be nice as well.
To take more points of the Gooners than they do us,and hopefully finish above them.
Beat West ham twice

Top 4

To win the battle of Stamford Bridge (again)

Last 8 CL

Double Woolwich forcing Wenger's resignation

Double Spammers and send them down back to where they belong

Lamela voted player of the year

All very achievable IMO

:pochohshit:

Sherwood in by Xmas needing to recreate his previous ppg ratio to keep us up - fails.
Kane becomes the co-host of Woolwich TV in protest after being denied a move to what he declares was his boyhood club.
Levy announces that John Thomas was right and there will be no stadium as he's actually building a volt for all his cash. Spurs to play at hackney marshes next season

I want to have a proper go at the Champion's League, not half arse the group stages due to fixture congestion.

The league, fuck knows. Last season was a bit of an abnormality with Chelsea, City and United being so shit for long periods of it. This season will be so much tougher on our squad, but if they play like they did last season I'll enjoy it whatever the outcome.

Apart from Janssen and Wanyama the current backup options don't feel me with confidence at all. Our bench is going to be our achille's heel coming this season. With that being said, I expect us to finish 6th and barely survive the group stage if not exit in CL unless Poch wishes are fullfilled before the 2nd of September.

As the great Bill Nic once said. " Spurs have to be the best in the land, not the second best". These should be our aspirations going in to every season. From the Chairman down.

I just want the season to end on a high. That can come anyway that it happens - if it's being league champions (yeah, I know) or finishing 3rd, above Woolwich and winning the FA Cup, with a Champions League run to the semi finals, knocking out Woolwich on the quarters. Either way, I want to go I to the summer of 2017 thinking .... what an amazing season that was, a proper send off for WHL and the most entertaining season I have ever witnessed, and it ended on a massive high.

EDIT: this is my hope, not expectation.

Depends.

Comfortable 3-0 win on Saturday = gonna win the league, no question.

Scrappy 1-0 loss = levy is a cunt for not getting the chequebook out, serious relegation fears.

Win 38 games in the Premier League with the highest goals total ever.

Knock Woolwich out of the CL in the round of 16 meaning we beat them 7 times (including the FA Cup semi) this season ... 6 times with Wenger as manager and once with their new manager Tony Pulis.

Win the CL beating Real Madrid in the final ... Bale and Modric with tears in their eyes tell the media they should never have left us.

Maybe a decent League Cup run.

In the league, I'd be happy with CL qualification again. Although, I reckon we do have a sniff of the title again considering this team will only know one another even better and thus we'll be a more rounded, fluid side.

3rd.

In the cups, I'd like to win one. Preferably the F.A. Cup, with our youngsters running the show in early rounds of that and the entirety of the League Cup.

In the CL? In all honesty I'd just like to get out the group. We aren't seeded well, so can expect a tough group. But we had that last time and we smashed it. Praying for Barca at some point so I can see Messi in the flesh.

On a playing level I'd just like to see the trend of youngsters making their mark continue. Edwards, Onomah, CCV, Winks, Harrison...there's a lot to choose from and if just one of them has a breakout year it'll be satisfying.

Once again, it'll be the year of Lamela.

Oh, and more moments like this...

wmc12.jpg

Back
Top Bottom