Expectations for the season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In the league, I'd be happy with CL qualification again. Although, I reckon we do have a sniff of the title again considering this team will only know one another even better and thus we'll be a more rounded, fluid side.

3rd.

In the cups, I'd like to win one. Preferably the F.A. Cup, with our youngsters running the show in early rounds of that and the entirety of the League Cup.

In the CL? In all honesty I'd just like to get out the group. We aren't seeded well, so can expect a tough group. But we had that last time and we smashed it. Praying for Barca at some point so I can see Messi in the flesh.

On a playing level I'd just like to see the trend of youngsters making their mark continue. Edwards, Onomah, CCV, Winks, Harrison...there's a lot to choose from and if just one of them has a breakout year it'll be satisfying.

Once again, it'll be the year of Lamela.

Oh, and more moments like this...

wmc12.jpg
Welcome back

Surely we must aim for a top 2 spot.

Certainly at least holding onto 3rd.

As mentioned it's a year of knowing one another more, learning from mistakes (5-1 Newcastle being the earliest memory).

2 top draw additions, yes they aren't world class but they certainly look very good.

My head says 3rd, my heart says 2nd & a CL 1/4 final tie with Real Madrid.

5th or 6th in the league

Couldn't give a fuck about the CL

Give me the FA or LC and I'll be a happy man

I find that a little strange Mate..

We give everything all season to try and finish in the CL places.. What's the point if we don't give a fuck about the competition when we achieve our goal?

It would take a campaign beyond anyones wildest dreams to win it but we have to at least give it a good go and give a good account of ourselves ( like last time )

Pushing for champions league at least. A top 6 position would not be a disaster but I think we can get fourth. With the right draw we can probably have a decent cup run in the champions league. Personally I am not too bothered about domestic cups (I know that sounds bad) but some decent ties would be nice. Christ can we have Millwall already?

I'll be realistic and not greedy

- Top 5 in the league
- Getting out of the group stage in the CL
- Cup final

I feel this would be successful for us

Cup final is in my wants list. I doubt it will happen. Think we'll scrape past with a 4th place finish and think we'll make it to the semi's in CL.

I find that a little strange Mate..

We give everything all season to try and finish in the CL places.. What's the point if we don't give a fuck about the competition when we achieve our goal?

It would take a campaign beyond anyones wildest dreams to win it but we have to at least give it a good go and give a good account of ourselves ( like last time )

I guess I could've worded it better

I just think realistically we're not going to win it, so I'd much rather concentrate on something we do have a chance of winning I.e either of the domestic cups

I'm not stupid enough to think that we'll prioritise those ahead of the CL though, given the money that it generates

I expect us to return more points and go further in the cups than last year.

But couldn't tell you if that would place us higher in the league though given the unknowns of city, utd and Chelsea.

A trophy would be nice. Obviously the league or cl would be marvelous but I would take an fa or league cup and a top 4 finish.

Would like to see the new signings settle in quickly and for the likes of dier, rose and lamela continue with their great form and for Ali to mature a little more and not fade after 65 mins.

There is less pressure on Kane this season now we have back up which will help him

My fears are that we continue dropping points in games we dominate, hopefully the likes of Newcastle, everton and stoke at home last season will be a rare occurrence this season

I like our nasty side and as brilliant as it was to see us kicking the chavs around Stamford bridge, we lost our cool and it needs to be controlled

I want us to build on last year's good league form until we collapsed at the end. The two signings we have made have been good as we needed cover in both positions, so I'm excited but also apprehensive about how the season will pan out as it's Spurs we are talking about afterall expwcted the unexpected.

So, It's going to be tough to get top four this year but we should be aiming for top for but realistically a top 5 finish would be a good season.

As a typical spurs fans of over 30 years, the F.A Cup always holds a special place in my heart and it's been far too long since we won it. So like every year, I want to win the cup. The league cup I'm not bothered about but if we get to the quarters then we should take it seriously, a trophy is a trophy at the end of the day.

As for the Champions league, lets joy the games being played at Wembley. It's going to be tough as the visiting teams will enjoy the occasion as well, so if we qualify past the group stage that would be a good.

Another finish in the top 4 would be nice, means that our 3rd from last season isn't a fluke or down to anyone else not turning up. Would be nice to win a cup as it's been a long time.

This article a change from the normal....

Premier League 2016-17 previews No17: Tottenham Hotspur | David Hytner

Guardian writers’ predicted position 3rd (NB: this is not necessarily David Hytner’s prediction but the average of our writers’ tips)

Last season’s position 3rd

Odds to win the league (via Oddschecker) 8-1

Mauricio Pochettino wanted to sign Victor Wanyama from his former club Southampton in the summer of last year. It did not happen. Southampton made it plain that they would not countenance it. Above all, the timing was wrong.

Pochettino shrugged and he told Daniel Levy, his chairman at Tottenham Hotspur, not to worry. He had a backup plan, which was to turn the defender Eric Dier into a high-calibre defensive midfielder. There was external scepticism at the time but it proved to be a masterstroke. Dier was one of the stand-out players in what was a stellar season for the club.

Job done? Position locked down? Apparently not. Pochettino moved again for Wanyama this summer and, this time, the timing was right. The commanding Kenyan became his first signing of the close season and, at £11m, it felt like value, too.

Pochettino was in a position of strength but he wanted to build; he wanted more. The manager knew that he would be without Mousa Dembélé, his other starting central midfielder, for the first four games of the season because of the punishment for his eye gouge on Chelsea’s Diego Costa last May. But, also, he wanted greater competition, options and flexibility. Dier and Dembélé will not be able to play all of the time, particularly as there is a campaign in the more gruelling Champions League to factor in.

The move for Wanyama cut to the heart of Pochettino’s approach; how he is seeking to grow the club and why there are credible reasons for optimism at Tottenham regarding the short and longer term.

Pochettino is obsessed by profiling, and it takes in data that relates to conditioning, nutrition and sports science. In terms of recruitment, his signings must tick specific boxes, physically and mentally. Wanyama, whom Pochettino brought to Southampton from Celtic in July 2013 for £12.5m, ticks them all.

Pochettino’s players are imposing – almost all of his favoured starting XI from last season stood at six feet or higher – and they have tremendous stamina. Moreover, they must be tactically flexible and able to play in at least two positions. Wanyama offers an option in central defence. One of Pochettino’s reasons for selling Andros Townsend to Newcastle United last January was that the winger shone on only one flank.

Pochettino also insists upon good characters and there are no big-time Charlies in his squad these days. One small example from last week shone a light on the collective attitude. It was the day for the broadcasters to film their walk-up shots and take other assorted photographs, and players can consider it a pain and behave as such. At Tottenham, it went smoothly and professionally.

The clincher on the Wanyama deal was the fee, which was relatively low because he had only one year to run on his contract. With the stadium rebuild to finance, these things matter at Tottenham; largesse over the next two years is a nonstarter. They intend to enter the 61,000-capacity arena in 2018-19.

The note of worry at Tottenham concerns the manner in which their rivals have attacked the transfer market. It is difficult to quantify how greatly the other top clubs will be improved by their signings but it is clear that when two of them (and counting?) have lavished nine-figure sums on fees alone, it represents a shake-up. Tottenham cannot compete on these terms at present and they have felt the tremors, which have emanated most strongly from Manchester. This Premier League is going to be so tough.

Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Harry Kane during pre-season training with Tottenham. Photograph: Tottenham Hotspur FC/Tottenham Hotspur FC via Getty I
But the glass feels half-full, primarily because of Pochettino and the precision and vigour of his methods. In so many ways, he is the ideal manager for Tottenham, as they plot the transition into the new stadium. The Argentinian is determined to make stars, rather than buy them, and he leads from the front with his work ethic and attention to detail.

Last edited:
Interesting read. And shows how scared the big teams are that they feel the only way to compete is to spend obscene amounts – like a bully in the playground...

I hope our squad don't get too down if we only manage a top 4 finish as it will still be a massive achievement and everyone should be applauded for their effort.

Personally think the first half of the season is important. There are quite a lot of teams with new squads, it should take a while to 'click' so as we're settled we need to get points on the board early and apply pressure and face reality that some will come into the swing nearer the end of the season...

Back
Top Bottom