Expectations for the season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It almost seems that Poch is prioritising none of the competitions, which leaves me scratching my head as to why.

Then again, with the injuries we've had, it might just be that he's picking sides with damage limitation in mind.

The unbeaten run, in its spectacular mediocrity, supports either of these theories.

poch doesn't really value them & puts out weakened teams.

Im of the opinion that we have a squad so why not use it. Shall we go same 11 for 60 games?
Why look at it as a weak cup team?

The likes of Winks and Onomah will eventually come through as strong first teamers because we trusted them in those "weak" cup teams.
How will we develope our academy and fringe players if we play the first team in the 3rd round of the Carling Cup?

People have pointed to the CL exit and then losing to Chelsea "anyway".....but we gave it a go and produced a strong performance instead of taking it up the rear with a knackered team and losing 7-0 at least..

Im of the opinion that we have a squad so why not use it. Shall we go same 11 for 60 games?
Why look at it as a weak cup team?

The likes of Winks and Onomah will eventually come through as strong first teamers because we trusted them in those "weak" cup teams.
How will we develope our academy and fringe players if we play the first team in the 3rd round of the Carling Cup?

People have pointed to the CL exit and then losing to Chelsea "anyway".....but we gave it a go and produced a strong performance instead of taking it up the rear with a knackered team and losing 7-0 at least..
Yeah, I don't think there is a right or wrong.
Most top teams rest players in the cups.
It will always be a debatable issue.

Finishing top 4 has become more important than winning some of the cups. Again, its another debate.

The only thing I am dead against, is playing half a best team & half youngsters/subs.
You won't win the europa doing that & you just tire out your best players for no reason.
Either play our best team or all subs & youngsters.

Bur that's just my opinion. Poch might be right & we can win cups with half our best team.
I don't see it.

As for developing players, I am a big fan of sending players out on loan.
I don't think 3 or 4 cup games all season is anywhere near enough to develop.
I'd rather they had a season playing in the championship.

Then again, with the injuries we've had, it might just be that he's picking sides with damage limitation in mind.

Despite the injuries I havent seen one game we havent tried to win....I dont think he´s a damage limitation kind of manager. We´ve been wasteful up top, its not always the tactics.

Last edited:
Despite the injuries I havent seen one game we havent tried to win....I dont think he´s a damage limitation kind of manager. We´ve been wasteful up, its not always the tactics.

Lack of quality in forward areas, Nkouduo and Janssen will take a season or two, they are young and from outside the league. Winks, Onomah, Edwards are kids, Eriksen, Son, Alli and Lamela are good but not world class.

We have no world class AM, that is the simple difference between us finishing 1st and us finishing 4-5th. A Hazard/Sanchez/Coutinho in our team and we would probably win 20% more games and with our amazing defensive setup win the league.

As it is we could struggle to get top 4, put it this way with Bale in this team I would be right down the bookies placing a bet on the title. Even a Isco or Coric would massively improve our chances.

We are Real Madrid in defence but Everton in attack, it's a shame as we are 1-2 players IMO off picking up the title. That is not an exaggeration either, our defence at full strength is world class our attack is this season at least mediocre.

Yeah, I don't think there is a right or wrong.
Most top teams rest players in the cups.
It will always be a debatable issue.

Finishing top 4 has become more important than winning some of the cups. Again, its another debate.

The only thing I am dead against, is playing half a best team & half youngsters/subs.
You won't win the europa doing that & you just tire out your best players for no reason.
Either play our best team or all subs & youngsters.

Bur that's just my opinion. Poch might be right & we can win cups with half our best team.
I don't see it.

As for developing players, I am a big fan of sending players out on loan.
I don't think 3 or 4 cup games all season is anywhere near enough to develop.
I'd rather they had a season playing in the championship.

Would certainly mix it up a bit if winner of the FA cup took the 4th CL spot.... doubt it would ever happen though :pochrolleyes:

Top 4 and making the knockout rd of the CL was my original expectation but now I really don't know. Top 4 I guess, but at the moment that looks like a brutally difficult task.

My expectation and hope is that Poch gets sacked, and we get a manager who has some sort of idea what he is doing. Other than that, to stay up

We're still in touching distance of top 4 and I expect a run once Toby returns. We've been without either him or Kane for stretches this season and it's obviously had an impact. Settled at full strength I expect top 4. Similar quality to last season's title run but with some tougher competition at the top. We will catch either Liverpool or Woolwich over the full season, or at the very least be in position to do so in April.

The PL maybe, but the FA cup?pushing it a bit there, No way we will win at Wembley...:pochohshit:
Jesting aside, I really do believe we could challenge for the PL. FACup always needs a little luck. The PL, City and Chavs are fav but as last season shows a good run from xmas , who knows. As long as we are a few points close at Xmas, its possible. We are a decent side, lost our way a little but it will turn and come good.

Jesting aside, I really do believe we could challenge for the PL. FACup always needs a little luck. The PL, City and Chavs are fav but as last season shows a good run from xmas , who knows. As long as we are a few points close at Xmas, its possible. We are a decent side, lost our way a little but it will turn and come good.

We have a nice run of games in December, the most difficult on paper looks to be United away, still if we play like we did for the first 44 minutes against the chavs no reason we can't take maximum points this month! juat hope Toby and Lamela are back ASAP.

We have a nice run of games in December, the most difficult on paper looks to be United away, still if we play like we did for the first 44 minutes against the chavs no reason we can't take maximum points this month! juat hope Toby and Lamela are back ASAP.
Lets hope we have good game/result against Swansea. We should beat them with the players available at the moment and if players return from injury. CSKA is another good game to give Toby/lamela a run out if fit. Then Utd-bring to on. Hopefully for this we have our best 11 available.

Back
Top Bottom