Europa League as our best chance of Champions League place next season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our struggle is relative IMO. We've been in the knock out rounds consistently and under AVB we went to penalties in the QF's. Obviously we may think we should push for semi finals and the silverware but it isn't that small of a competition. Especially after the CL dropouts enter... + we have already done OK in the CL once
I think we have a squad that is good enough to win the Europa league (remember Fulham got to the final). Without doubt we should have beaten fiorentina, we simply pissed it away. It should have been all over in the 1st half at WHL. Twas a great opportunity for silverware

giphy.gif

Well that's that debate over with.
:pochfacepalm:
Exactly, and those of us who said we had more chance of top 4 have been proved right and then some.:thumbup:

Once again, the bookies called it right and those backing against the odds were wrong, a good example of why bookies tend to be richer than their punters.

Poch got it wrong by starting important players like Eriksen and Jan tonight, and our best chance of a trophy, v Chelsea, is now more unlikely.

I said after the January window that Enic's inactivity was scandalous and our season would crumble around us, and so unfortunately it is proving to be.

Naturally I hope Sunday proves me wrong, but the odds suggest that it won't.

I think we have a squad that is good enough to win the Europa league (remember Fulham got to the final). Without doubt we should have beaten fiorentina, we simply pissed it away. It should have been all over in the 1st half at WHL. Twas a great opportunity for silverware
I don't think it was a great chance of silverware. The Lge Cup is/was a great chance and unfortunately by playing some of our best players tonight, we've weakened our chances. Our best players should have stayed at home, poor management by Poch.

I don't think it was a great chance of silverware. The Lge Cup is/was a great chance and unfortunately by playing some of our best players tonight, we've weakened our chances. Our best players should have stayed at home, poor management by Poch.
I think there could've been some merit in bringing the whole squad, to keep them all together and preparing for the final. But I hate half measures in games, and that's what we got tonight- either play the A team and get through, or start with Paulinho and the rest of the rejects and take the risk. We've ended up, just like we would've with AVB, with several tired first teamers, for nothing.

Last edited:
Exactly, and those of us who said we had more chance of top 4 have been proved right and then some.:thumbup:

Once again, the bookies called it right and those backing against the odds were wrong, a good example of why bookies tend to be richer than their punters.

Poch got it wrong by starting important players like Eriksen and Jan tonight, and our best chance of a trophy, v Chelsea, is now more unlikely.

I said after the January window that Enic's inactivity was scandalous and our season would crumble around us, and so unfortunately it is proving to be.

Naturally I hope Sunday proves me wrong, but the odds suggest that it won't.
Had nothing to do with January. This was winnable, and the lads spurned their chances in both legs. It's a young team, and errors are part of the learning process.

They simply need to do better on Sunday. This wasn't a failure of team selection, it wasn't a failure of transfer activity. This was a failure by the players on the pitch. They had plenty of opportunities to win, and didn't convert. That's all on them.

We move on.

I'm more than happy to cut the youngsters a lot of slack, but yesterday it was Vertonghen, Fazio and Soldado who fucked up.
Yes, and that's a fair criticism. I think Soldado's gone in summer, there's no other choice. Vertonghen and Fazio have usually been pretty solid for us, sadly, stuff happened yesterday.

If Soldado, Chadli Eriksen or Lamela converted any of the chances they had in the first half, we may be having a different conversation. Instead, here we are.

The result was there for the taking, the lads blew it, and I can only hope they learn from this for Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom