Europa League 14/15 Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure whats Salzburg is like
It's quality. Was there on my way Oktoberfest in Munich this year and there's this little brew house that has all German food and probably the best beer I've ever had! Went back on the Thursday and it was EL day their Celtic game and both sets of supporters were in there having a laugh sing along. Would be one of the better away trips on there.

Brugge the preference with Eurostar but Salzburg would be #2

Screw Liverpool. Stupid bunch of idiots. I can't believe how they have thrown away all of last year's momentum. They stuck with Saurez through all his racism Shit, biting Shit and then sell him. If they kept him and brought in the players they have now they would be PL champs this year. They did it to themsleves. Wankers...soundlike aanother team I know,sold ttheir key players and bought a bunch of fucking division one retards.

It's quality. Was there on my way Oktoberfest in Munich this year and there's this little brew house that has all German food and probably the best beer I've ever had! Went back on the Thursday and it was EL day their Celtic game and both sets of supporters were in there having a laugh sing along. Would be one of the better away trips on there.

Brugge the preference with Eurostar but Salzburg would be #2
They were my top 2 too. :adebaehug:

Wouldn't mind Brugge or Salzberg.
Salzburg would be dreadful. They just set a new goal record in the Europa League group stage (21 goals).
They play some really dangerous football offensively. I guess we'd fail miserably tbh.
Would prefer someone like Rotterdam or Fiorentina.

Salzburg would be dreadful. They just set a new goal record in the Europa League group stage (21 goals).
They play some really dangerous football offensively. I guess we'd fail miserably tbh.
I was going more on the location, but yes, you're right.

They did have a piss easy group though. Astra are the Romanian league equivalent of Woolwich up there but not really a threat! Celtic are bog average. Good results against Zagreb though

I wouldn't sweat Salzburg. They did get knocked out of the CL by the Swedish champions Malmö FF, the first Swedish team in 14 years to compete in the CL, after losing 3-0 away. MFF is a good team by Swedish standards but would seriously struggle against us (I'd hope!).

They did have a piss easy group though. Astra are the Romanian league equivalent of Woolwich up there but not really a threat! Celtic are bog average. Good results against Zagreb though
I agree that they didn't have a hard group to go through and they probably don't have a great overall quality in their team. But the reason I'd fear them is their style of playing football. While they might look bad in their defence time to time, they're really direct and fast in terms of playing forward. And I guess we all know, how we looked so far against those types of attacks. We even managed to make Asteras Tripolis look like they were Real Madrid on their counters.
This is where my worries lie.

I don't think I'll ever truly get on board with this competition until the bullshit rule of CL teams dropping into it goes. Farcical.

"The Europa League is rubbish, lets fluff it up by giving the winners a spot in next seasons CL, so that it can be won by a team that has been knocked out of this seasons CL"

I wonder what the loyalty point cut off would be for Brugge. Quite big I'd imagine! Less than 30k stadium and just a short hop on the Eurostar!

One of only a couple I wouldn't be confident of getting with 236 points (bronze member)

After my point above, I was interested in how many winners of the EL / UEFA Cup have done it after dropping out of the CL (whether it’s from losing in the qualifying rounds or finishing third in their groups - yes they get two get out of jail cards).

13/14 - Seville (9th place League)
12/13 - Chelsea (CL Group Stage)
11/12 - Atletico Madrid (7th place league)
10/11 - Porto (Cup Winners)
09/10 - Atletico Madrid (CL Group Stage)
08/09 - Shakhtar Donetsk (CL Group Stage)
07/08 - Zenit St Petersburg (4th place league)
06/07 - Seville (5th place League)
05/06 - Seville (6th place League)
0405 - CSKA Moscow (CL Group Stage)

I believe 2004 was when the format changed to groups rather than knock out all the way, and the CL teams started getting another bite of a trophy in the last 32.

It doesn’t seem that it’s a bias as I first thought, but the gap in quality is always apparent.

Still, if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best.

I wonder what the loyalty point cut off would be for Brugge. Quite big I'd imagine! Less than 30k stadium and just a short hop on the Eurostar!

One of only a couple I wouldn't be confident of getting with 236 points (bronze member)
Would be ST only for sure. Feyenoord might be too, despite them having a 50k stadium. I'd quite like Moenchengladbach actually - big stadium and could do in 6 hours on the train

Back
Top Bottom