Europa League 14/15 Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After my point above, I was interested in how many winners of the EL / UEFA Cup have done it after dropping out of the CL (whether it’s from losing in the qualifying rounds or finishing third in their groups - yes they get two get out of jail cards).

13/14 - Seville (9th place League)
12/13 - Chelsea (CL Group Stage)
11/12 - Atletico Madrid (7th place league)
10/11 - Porto (Cup Winners)
09/10 - Atletico Madrid (CL Group Stage)
08/09 - Shakhtar Donetsk (CL Group Stage)
07/08 - Zenit St Petersburg (4th place league)
06/07 - Seville (5th place League)
05/06 - Seville (6th place League)
0405 - CSKA Moscow (CL Group Stage)

I believe 2004 was when the format changed to groups rather than knock out all the way, and the CL teams started getting another bite of a trophy in the last 32.

It doesn’t seem that it’s a bias as I first thought, but the gap in quality is always apparent.

Still, if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best.

3 in 10 years is pretty impressive for Seville!

IMO we will struggle against these teams (in bold)

Pot 1: Olympiakos, Sporting Lisbon, Athletic Bilbao, Zenit St Petersburg, Borussia Monchengladbach, Club Brugge, Besiktas, Red Bull Salzburg, Dinamo Moscow, Inter Milan, Feyenoord, Everton, Napoli, Dynamo Kiev, Fiorentina, Legia Warsaw

Pot 2: Anderlecht, Ajax, Liverpool, Roma, Villareal, Torino, Tottenham, Celtic, PSV, Dnipro, Sevilla, Wolfsburg, Young Boys, Aalborg, Guingamp, Trabzonspor

Anyone going to gamble and book the last 16 up if we draw a blinding team?

I think were due a decent draw. I know certain people like the Turkeys, Serbias & Russia's etc but were due a Germany or Spain trip. Bremen seems an age ago.

Anyone going to gamble and book the last 16 up if we draw a blinding team?

I think were due a decent draw. I know certain people like the Turkeys, Serbias & Russia's etc but were due a Germany or Spain trip. Bremen seems an age ago.
Seems the draw for the last 16 isn't done until after the round of 32 this year, not sure why they've changed it but means we'll have to progress before thinking about anywhere else.

Shame because I waited for Lisbon and skipped Ukraine last year at the same stages.

Seems the draw for the last 16 isn't done until after the round of 32 this year, not sure why they've changed it but means we'll have to progress before thinking about anywhere else.

Shame because I waited for Lisbon and skipped Ukraine last year at the same stages.

Just seen that change, must have happened in the last week or so as it was originally planned to do both today. Could be an expensive March if we get through then....

Back
Top Bottom