Europa League 14/15 Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know this has been asked before but what happens if:

We win the Europa League (winners qualify for the CL from this season) and finish 5th in the PL - 4th placed PL team missed out?
No - There are now a maximum of 5 teams that can qualify, but only if the EL winners finish outside of the top 4. If the EL winners finish in the top 4, only 4 will qualify. It was brought in to stop what happened to us from happening again. The only way the 4th placed team can miss out now is if both the EL and CL winners finish outside of the top 4. Of course that will never happen, but if it did... you can guess who'd miss out. :walker-scream:

booked hotels for Istanbul. waiting for my mate to stop being a fanny about the turks then ill get flights. got em for 92 return atm, 2 nights there. right near all the whores according to my mate who's Galatasaray... ooops...

There are now a maximum of 5 CL spots available, but only in the event of a domestic team winning the EL and finishing out of the top 4. If the EL winner finishes in the top 4 only the top 4 will get CL. In the unlikely event of both the CL and EL winners finishing out of the top 4, 4th place will miss out and go into the EL.

SouthStand Billy SouthStand Billy Just so I'm clear. The reason the atmosphere sucks on Sundays is that it's harder to get to the Lane, correct? The trains don't run on the same schedule or something?

Sunday is a giant sports day in the States, which is why it's hard for us (me at least) to grasp how Sundays are a bad thing.

It is definitely a cultural thing. Football in Britain really took off as a spectator sport when the working week was cut from 6 days to 5 and a half days a week - hence the 3 o'clock Saturday K.O. This allowed the working man time to knock off at lunchtime, get changed, and have a few beers on his way to the match.
All the grounds were built in the middle of working class areas, so it was easy for the fans to attend matches. Sundays in Victorian Britain were for church and family. When these arrangements were in place, football as a spectator sport took off in a phenomenal way.

As SouthStand Billy SouthStand Billy says this was the tradition until Sky moved in, and pitched football to a new demographic, with more emphasis on a family environment. of course this is not necessarily a bad thing, but the atmosphere at matches has suffered as a result - particularly on a Sunday.

Don't forget before we get to the group games we need to WIN the playoff's.
Sure play the kids, but only after we are clearly going to win.

Plus we need time for our new tactics and players to gel. The more time our first team plays together the better we will be long term. We can worry about burnout after Christmas.

If we want to be top 4 permanently, we have to learn to juggle competitions.

Back
Top Bottom