England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nagelsmann has being playing almost the same team in all of his games so he hasn't really being trying out anything new game to game. One swallow doesn't make a summer and beating France last night in a friendly doesn't really mean anything other than it should give them a bit of confidence for a team that's almost been in crisis for a while. It takes me back to a point I made about people changing their opinions too much from game to game. Germany lost to Austria last time out and a lot of people were saying they had no chance in the Euros, even with home advantage. They then win a friendly and because it's France, they are suddenly seemingly one of the favourites again. If they lose at home to Netherlands next week, what then?

Naglesman has been there less than a year and has yet to take them to a tournament..... Southgate has been there 8 years ff!

I'm not sure what point you're making? I'm talking about tournament football and getting there. Not Nations League games which are glorified friendlies. You can go through the majority of countries on the planet and pluck out some poor results over a certain period of time. Who cares if England drew one of the games 1-1 against Ukraine when we finished top of the group and qualified comfortably?

Keep the goalposts still.... You were talking about individual games (with an undercurrent of performance); not whether a team qualifies. Nations League are competitive games regardless of if you accept them to be or not. Regardless, you can still guage things via a friendly.

You said England fans would melt if we lost to Austria & Turkey.

Fact: Southgate has had many stinky results and performances...... So what's YOUR point?

Yes really........ You're talking pure hype re: Endrick.

I repeat... He hasn't kicked a ball outside of Brazil so far and you now conceded you "barely" (I suspect hadn't before last night) seen him play.

.......So don't use him as a superior measuring stick against proven good quality experienced senior pros like Bowen (14 G in 28 this EPL season!) & Rashford (17 in 35 last season... 131 senior Man U goals!) or our own 18 year old that most of the country was eager to see play last night (whom at least - by contrast - already has an EPL season under his belt.

You seem to be a master of making statement; then shooting it down yourself when attempting to defend them.

You also seem oblivious to the fact that Southgate has an actual track record that can be scrutinised and tangibly criticized rather than blindly defended by whataboutism.

You're just talking a load of waffle. It doesn't matter what I think of Endrick. The facts are he has signed for Real Madrid and has just made his debit for Brazil at 17. So he's clearly an already very good player. Would you not agree? I'm not sure why you keep bringing up Bowen either. He's a good player, but nobody would have him in the England starting 11, and bringing on the likes of him, Konsa, Dunk etc was always going to have a negative impact on the team quality wise. Bowen actually played alright last night and looked lively. But it's not just a coincidence that Brazil scored and had their best period of the match when the likes of Bellingham and Gordon went off.

Naglesmann a brilliant coach in the hot seat more it pisses me off.
It's awful isn't it

Southgate's managerial career before England was getting Boro relegated and then being fired.

Really, FA?

On paper we probably have the best attacking
We have a once in several generations world class striker, Kane. Who is SOOOO good as a combo of Shearer no 9 and Sheringham no 10. I can't recall one like him, ever.

In my entire lifetime we have had 2 good managers, Venables and Hoddle.
Completely. As I'm a bit older I'll add peak Ramsey.

Of them all, I'd say Venables. My only criticism of him was that he didn't think it was worth it to practice penalties, but in the 90 mins he was way ahead. Very good at setting up decent defences, although we always remember him for attractive attacking footie. The players loved him too.

If he had the chance to manage this lot, I'm absolutely sure we'd have won something. Even Redknapp. Say what you like about him he was very good at working out the best formation for the best players. More tactically savvy than his reputation (run around a bit) but I'm sure that was intentional, so that oppo managers would underrate him. Not afraid of an early sub. He took Zokora off after 30 mins v Villa as he was being torn a new one at RB and was on a yellow.

England live in a perpetual AVB world where the entire game plan is to hope Kane or Bellingham pull magic from their arse.
I very rarely watch Eng unless it's in the latter stages of a tournament.

If you think how many English players feature in the latter stages of the CL. In recent times several Emg teams get to the Semis, and both finalists twice. In that Spurs team there were 6 English outfield players for instance. Several better ones in City Liv etc.

I'm hoping that Potter will be given a shot. Forget about disfunctional Chavs, he's very good at coaching and players rate him v highly. If he gets the gig at City Liv Utd whatever he'll get a good tune out of them.

So, hopefully, last night kills any idea that Rice or Gallagher are 6's or even remotely elite level globally,

England could play Gallagher or Rice and same way we could play Sarr or Gallagher if we had him. Long term I'd prefer to have Sarr than either Rice or Gallagher. Tbh by the end of next season imo that's clear to anyone that watches football,

Naglesman has been there less than a year and has yet to take them to a tournament..... Southgate has been there 8 years ff!

Why are you giving your opinion as if I'm defending Southgate? It's really bizarre. I think Southgate isn't up to the job and never have done. I'm just making the point that Germany have been crap under Nagelsmann and one win, in a friendly, doesn't suddenly make them into world beaters.

You're just talking a load of waffle. It doesn't matter what I think of Endrick. The facts are he has signed for Real Madrid and has just made his debit for Brazil at 17. So he's clearly an already very good player. Would you not agree? I'm not sure why you keep bringing up Bowen either. He's a good player, but nobody would have him in the England starting 11, and bringing on the likes of him, Konsa, Dunk etc was always going to have a negative impact on the team quality wise. Bowen actually played alright last night and looked lively. But it's not just a coincidence that Brazil scored and had their best period of the match when the likes of Bellingham and Gordon went off.

Balls.... It's you that are talking "waffle" with your persistence in basing your whole argument around an unproven kid.

If you think Bowen is a step down from Gordon; you don't know these players very well.

Why are you giving your opinion as if I'm defending Southgate? It's really bizarre. I think Southgate isn't up to the job and never have done. I'm just making the point that Germany have been crap under Nagelsmann ad one win in a friendly doesn't suddenly make them into world beaters.

You were drawing comparisons and analogies VS England. They are the respective managers.

So, hopefully, last night kills any idea that Rice or Gallagher are 6's or even remotely elite level globally,

England could play Gallagher or Rice and same way we could play Sarr or Gallagher if we had him. Long term I'd prefer to have Sarr than either Rice or Gallagher. Tbh by the end of next season imo that's clear to anyone that watches football,

What a load of absolute waffle putting Rice’s performance (or level) next to Gallagher’s FFS.

You were drawing comparisons and analogies VS England. They are the respective managers.

Well I stand by my points as I don't think I've said anything too controversial. Last night wasn't great but we lost 1-0 in a game where chances were hard to come by for both sides. I'm not jumping on the doom and gloom train just the same as I wouldn't be jumping on the hype train had we won.

I thought Rice was fine. Bellingham isn’t a ten. A midfield three of Rice, Bellingham and Foden is as good as you’ll get in international football.

Saka, Kane and Gordon in front of them is more than enough. But it doesn’t matter when we’ve the English Nuno pulling the strings.

Well I stand by my points as I don't think I've said anything too controversial. Last night wasn't great but we lost 1-0 in a game where chances were hard to come by for both sides. I'm not jumping on the doom and gloom train just the same as I wouldn't be jumping on the hype train had we won.

We were absolutely dreadful. Didn’t create a thing. Brazil are in their worst form/shape ever and created multiple clear cut chances to our big fat zero.

It doesn’t have to mean much as a bigger picture (it was a friendly) but your insistence that a large chunk of turd was in fact not too bad is never going to go down well.

Gallagher is just Henderson 2.0..... (Which is me being very kind considering JH actually became a influential presence late in his career; even though he remained ext.basic as a player).

But this does not dispel the idea that Rice can play DM with the right partner or system. He already has done at the Euros and was one of England's best players.

Last edited:

Some of us are capable of assessing last night in context of everything that's come before......... (This doesn't mean to say I give a shit about the result or last night's game in isolation).

If you can't see the patterns and signs of what's to come after 8 (!!!) years then you're (willfully?) naive.

Southgate can't coach an attack and relies upon moments and corners......... And once again you can see as much whenever he plays a decent side..... Not that it isn't an issue when playing lesser sides too (hence the massive list of crap performances I put up a few posts ago).

Gallagher is just Henderson 2.0..... (Which is me being very kind considering JH actually became a influential presence late in his career).

But this does not dispel the idea that Rice can play DM with the right partner or system. He already has done at the Euros and was one of England's best players.
Rice can't play DM. Has the same turning circle as Hojberg. He might get away with it against certain teams but the right team will target him if we play him as a 6. Also negates his best attribute which winning the ball back further up the pitch.

Gallagher is just Henderson 2.0..... (Which is me being very kind considering JH actually became a influential presence late in his career; even though he remained ext.basic as a player).

Only Cundy, but.................

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVky2OZGGU

If you're effectively playing 4141 then play Jude AND Foden ahead of Rice and get on the front foot and inject more creativity, FFS.

Gallagher was worse. Neither of them were world class were they?

Nope, but Foden was dog-shit and I’m not using his performance as proof he’s not international quality.

Rice has repeatedly proven he’s top level. He’s a better box to box than a six (insane combo of g/a + defensive work) but as a six he provides plenty.

Rice can't play DM. Has the same turning circle as Hojberg. He might get away with it against certain teams but the right team will target him if we play him as a 6. Also negates his best attribute which winning the ball back further up the pitch.

It may not be his best position but he IS our best DM.......

Nope, but Foden was dog-shit and I’m not using his performance as proof he’s not international quality.

Rice has repeatedly proven he’s top level. He’s a better box to box than a six (insane combo of g/a + defensive work) but as a six he provides plenty.

Maybe we need to ask that question about Foden. It's not like he's never had chances to show it at international level is it? Maybe he's overhyped English tax as well.

He's in the form of his life for City and that was the best he could muster at home in a game when England had more of the ball? Palmer might have done more, maybe he should get the next chance against Belgium.

Back
Top Bottom