England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For England, Dunk is definitely worse than Maguire. Maguire is genuinely competent in an England shirt more often than not whereas Dunk looked like he was making his debut, despite being 32.

Dunk's played 2/3 England games.... And looked excellent in one.

Macguire has played for England for as long as Southgate has been around..... And fucked up in plenty.

...............Are we forgetting how badly most of the fanbase wanted him out up until very recently?

I would also take Gordon over Bowen. But it's all about opinions.

When everyone is fit Bowen is significantly closer to the 1st XI............ Rashford, Grealish & Foden all likely sit ahead of Gordon in the pecking order.

He literally said we were joint favourites with France about five minutes before that and that our teams were comparable, so you know.
So you know he thinks we're "great". Le Perisien is Tony the Tiger and I claim my £20!! Look you think we are super and that's cool. As I said don't want to piss on your chips, I don't agree. That's the beauty of opinions. I've zero interest in talking you out of your over optimistic assessment of a handful of EPL footballers.

Where you see top players at top clubs, I see overrated national media slantted biases physicality over technical ability little or no cohesive coaching patterns and a kindly but uninspiring coach. Not intrested in you talking me out of my considered opinions either. 👍

So you know he thinks we're "great". Le Perisien is Tony the Tiger and I claim my £20!! Look you think we are super and that's cool. As I said don't want to piss on your chips, I don't agree. That's the beauty of opinions. I've zero interest in talking you out of your over optimistic assessment of a handful of EPL footballers.

Where you see top players at top clubs, I see overrated national media slantted biases physicality over technical ability little or no cohesive coaching patterns and a kindly but uninspiring coach. Not intrested in you talking me out of my considered opinions either. 👍

He stated we were equal to his own country .. who he rates as the best team in the world and who he loves. I assume he thinks that means we’re a great team.

Loooool yeah mate Kane, Bellingham, Foden, Saka, Maddison, Stones etc are ‘physicality based footballers’ and not just excellent players objectively. Christ.

I say this tongue in cheek; but that sounds like Gary talking........

The MF is very much an issue (perhaps THE issue) cos we need them to be able to meaningful in both an attacking and defensive sense.... Not just to have a bit of graft and lock down some low-impact possession stats.

Yes but that is more about team structure and tactics which is a coaching issue. Rice and Gallagher won most of their 1v1 battles which is individual, the collective lack of attacking structure is a core set up problem.

Yes but that is more about team structure and tactics which is a coaching issue. Rice and Gallagher won most of their 1v1 battles which is individual, the collective lack of attacking structure is a core set up problem.

The line of your post that I highlighted was very much about structure and tactics too.

He stated we were equal to his own country .. who he rates as the best team in the world and who he loves. I assume he thinks that means we’re a great team.

Loooool yeah mate Kane, Bellingham, Foden, Saka, Maddison, Stones etc are ‘physicality based footballers’ and not just excellent players objectively. Christ.
LOL indeed.... I don't know why you can't take people not agreeing with you but you should work on it.

there is a limit to how much futher England can improve with more good players. Maybe we can have a better keeper but even if we had Alisson and Rodri would we become the best team in the world in terms of play, I doubt it.

Can we win the Euro’s yes but it’s entirely on moments of individual brilliance from Kane, from Bellingham, from Foden. We are all Spurs fans here, we all saw what we looked like with Nuno, with Jose with managers not able to coach modern attacking football and how bad and limiting it is. Southgate is objectively worse than Jose and Nuno. We will never see the potential of England with this manager, period.

Man City are arguably the current best team in the world, who is there best performing player right now, Foden. Real Madrid, the biggest club on Earth, best player, Bellingham, Bayern the biggest club in Germany, best player Kane. I am not blind, not since 2006 have we had anything like this crop of players. The only thing we are missing is a Carrick style footballer but Mainoo looks like he could be it. The fix is coaching and tactics.

there is a limit to how much futher England can improve with more good players. Maybe we can have a better keeper but even if we had Alisson and Rodri would we become the best team in the world in terms of play, I doubt it.

Can we win the Euro’s yes but it’s entirely on moments of individual brilliance from Kane, from Bellingham, from Foden. We are all Spurs fans here, we all saw what we looked like with Nuno, with Jose with managers not able to coach modern attacking football and how bad and limiting it is. Southgate is objectively worse than Jose and Nuno. We will never see the potential of England with this manager, period.

Man City are arguably the current best team in the world, who is there best performing player right now, Foden. Real Madrid, the biggest club on Earth, best player, Bellingham, Bayern the biggest club in Germany, best player Kane. I am not blind, not since 2006 have we had anything like this crop of players. The only thing we are missing is a Carrick style footballer but Mainoo looks like he could be it. The fix is coaching and tactics.

Some people imo are just suffering some PTSD from old English teams and won’t/can’t accept that this has changed and we have an abundance of creative, technically gifted footballers now.

Like you say .. we have the star men this season from Bayern, Madrid, Man City, Woolwich, all fighting for trophies, all used to top level games. But apparently we lack technical quality or something …

Even half our backline start for Man City and that’s our weak-point. We have so much individual class in this team it’s almost ridiculous.

Especially having both Bellingham + Kane .. arguably the two top performing individuals in European football this season? Mental.

We’ve improved DRAMATICALLY since the last Euros, where we lost a final on penalties, yet it won’t stop the same old cliches about no hope, technically limited English footballers etc…

Some people imo are just suffering some PTSD from old English teams and won’t/can’t accept that this has changed and we have an abundance of creative, technically gifted footballers now.

Like you say .. we have the star men this season from Bayern, Madrid, Man City, Woolwich, all fighting for trophies, all used to top level games. But apparently we lack technical quality or something …

Even half our backline start for Man City and that’s our weak-point. We have so much individual class in this team it’s almost ridiculous.

Especially having both Bellingham + Kane .. arguably the two top performing individuals in European football this season? Mental.

We’ve improved DRAMATICALLY since the last Euros, where we lost a final on penalties, yet it won’t stop the same old cliches about no hope, technically limited English footballers etc…
No-one is saying the players are limited, it’s the manager that’s limited.

No-one is saying the players are limited, it’s the manager that’s limited.

Nah, look up. Some people are still talking about the squad not actually being that good or whatever.

I agree the manager is limited and the only reason why we might not do as well as we should do.

Give the below to Pep and see what he does, Pickford is clearly an issue but otherwise perfect fit.

Pickfor
Walker Stones Branthwaite Shaw
Rice Bellingham
Saka Foden Gordon
Kane

Give the below to Klopp and see what he does

Pickford
Mainoo Rice Bellingham
Saka Kane Foden

To be fair the English disease of management goes back along way, Scholes on the left wing, Hoddle in the 80’s not used. The FA has a huge aversion to growth, winning and development, they are losers and oddly seem proud of it.

The squad certainly has, but the team hasn't........ That's why there should be big loud alarm bells as far as Euro24 is concerned (better squad, same if not worse results).

..........There's been no statement win since we beat a poor Germany in Euro21 or beat Spain in the NationsLge2018

Give the below to Pep and see what he does, Pickford is clearly an issue but otherwise perfect fit.

Pickfor
Rice Bellingham
Saka Foden Gordon
Kane

Give the below to Klopp and see what he does

Pickford
Mainoo Rice Bellingham
Saka Kane Foden

To be fair the English disease of management goes back along way, Scholes on the left wing, Hoddle in the 80’s not used. The FA has a huge aversion to growth, winning and development, they are losers and oddly seem proud of it.

The FA have an aura more akin to some government off-shoot than they do a sporting organsiation. Just a bunch of stuffy old conservative men dripping with old school tie vibes.

The FA have an aura more akin to some government off-shoot than they do a sporting organsiation. Just a bunch of stuffy old conservative men dripping with old school tie vibes.

The FA are a broken civil service department with men more concerned with their buffets and wine events than anything football related. They are Everton/United level of board, they have never given the impression of wanting to win anything. They had a big chance with Redknapp, a good manager, tactically smart who perfectly suited to international football who dreamed of being England manager. They bottled it cos he is a big personality and they need a yes man.

Nah, look up. Some people are still talking about the squad not actually being that good or whatever.

I agree the manager is limited and the only reason why we might not do as well as we should do.
The keeper is not good but other than that, he’s got options

If we beat Belgium and put in a good performance ultimately I think this game will soon be completely forgotten about. Maddison has to come in for creativity, we can't expect Bellingham and Foden to do it all the time, and Palmer deserves a go. I think he will take to International football like a duck to water, he just has the mentality. I just hope we don't see Gallagher in this game. I can only take so much of him sloppily give the ball away, chasing the opponent down like a Bulldog running to a bone and fouling him because he can't tackle.

Last edited:
If we beat Belgium and put in a good performance ultimately I think this game will soon be completely forgotten about.

You can most likely include the manager in that statement (along with all manner of Gary-apologists); but it will matter (more than the result itself)...... Friendlies aren't a mere fitness exercise..... You're meant to learn from them (and not merely in terms of auditioning a few new players either); not just brush them off to fit whatever agenda requires at any given time.

Maddison has to come in for creativity, we can't expect Bellingham and Foden to do it all the time, and Palmer deserves a go. I think he will take to International football like a duck to water, he just has the mentality. I just hope we don't see Gallagher in this game. I can only take so much of him sloppily give them ball away, chasing the opponent down like a Bulldog to a bone and fouling him because he can't tackle.

He won't.... Not without Gary removing one of the other 2. DM / CM (who's more graft that ability) + CAM is all we're ever gonna get with this manager (unless we're losing with 5 mins to go in a knock-out game).

Back
Top Bottom