England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That’s the issue, not the result. There isn’t any real tactical evolution, even the pressing was front four press but the rest stay back which allows easy counter attacks and is how Brazil operated. Best we can hope for is using and integrating new players like Mainoo and Braitwaite.
It’s not even the result but whether Southgate has learned anything.

Maybe he’s learned something about the Rice/ Gallagher/ Bellingham balance. Doesn’t work? Success - he’s learned something. Could work with tweaks or against certain opposition? Success - he’s learned something.

I appreciate this sounds like an excuse for anything but the only thing that matters is the tournament performances.

You can most likely include the manager in that statement (along with all manner of Gary-apologists); but it will matter (more than the result itself)...... Friendlies aren't a mere fitness exercise..... You're meant to learn from them (and not merely in terms of auditioning a few new players either); not just brush them off to fit whatever agenda requires at any given time.

He won't.... Not without Gary removing one of the other 2. DM / CM (who's more graft that ability) + CAM is all we're ever gonna get with this manager (unless we're losing with 5 mins to go in a knock-out game).

Again, you're putting words in people's mouths or drawing your own conclusions from something they never actually said. I never said anything about friendlies being pointless, or mere fitness exercises. Like any game of football, you want to win, you want to put in a good performance. But you can lose to a team like Brazil on any given day, regardless of their form. We didn't play well, but I don't think we were particularly bad either, especially when we had our better plays on the pitch for 60-70 minutes. There were obvious negatives, such as some dodgy defending and also not creating a lot on the whole. But there were also positives. Some good displays from the debutants Gordon and Mainoo, both who looked more than at home. We actually had a touch more possession against Brazil (54%) which would never have happened in previous England teams. Yes, we didn't move the ball quick enough and create a lot, but how refreshing it is to see us keep the ball instead of hoofing it.

Clearly, you have your own thoughts and opinions here and I have mine.

Again, you're putting words in people's mouths or drawing your own conclusions from something they never actually said.

I'm reflecting on sentiments more than just your own at this point; so no, I'm not putting words in peoples mouths.

"They're just meaningless friendlies" is a common sentiment.

I never said anything about friendlies being pointless, or mere fitness exercises.

I didn't say you did.

(Although earlier you did fob off the Nations League results as insignificant so there's a trickle-down from that sentiment.)

Like any game of football, you want to win, you want to put in a good performance. But you can lose to a team like Brazil on any given day, regardless of their form. We didn't play well, but I don't think we were particularly bad either, especially when we had our better plays on the pitch for 60-70 minutes. There were obvious negatives, such as some dodgy defending and also not creating a lot on the whole. But there were also positives. Some good displays from the debutants Gordon and Mainoo, both who looked more than at home. We actually had a touch more possession against Brazil (54%) which would never have happened in previous England teams. Yes, we didn't move the ball quick enough and create a lot,

A-G-A-I-N..... I'm not concerned with this game in isolation and literally said I don't care about the scoreline. (So; perhaps it's you projecting.....?)

..........What I do refuse to do tho' is bestow overt reverence upon Brazil just because of who they used to be. We had that from Conte after our CL ties against Milan and it's bollocks.

but how refreshing it is to see us keep the ball instead of hoofing it.

Oh come on; the bar has long since been raised from those days. (If not then Gary is failing even harder than suggested.)

Last edited:
Again, you're putting words in people's mouths or drawing your own conclusions from something they never actually said. I never said anything about friendlies being pointless, or mere fitness exercises. Like any game of football, you want to win, you want to put in a good performance. But you can lose to a team like Brazil on any given day, regardless of their form. We didn't play well, but I don't think we were particularly bad either, especially when we had our better plays on the pitch for 60-70 minutes. There were obvious negatives, such as some dodgy defending and also not creating a lot on the whole. But there were also positives. Some good displays from the debutants Gordon and Mainoo, both who looked more than at home. We actually had a touch more possession against Brazil (54%) which would never have happened in previous England teams. Yes, we didn't move the ball quick enough and create a lot, but how refreshing it is to see us keep the ball instead of hoofing it.

Clearly, you have your own thoughts and opinions here and I have mine.
Thought Brazil looked the better team...and they had at least as many injuries as we did...I think they had 4/5 international debuts...
The fact is Southgate is and always will be a dick...

Thought Brazil looked the better team...and they had at least as many injuries as we did...I think they had 4/5 international debuts...
The fact is Southgate is and always will be a dick...

I think they edged the game and probably deserved the 1-0 win, but at no point did they play us off the park which you would think they did with the reactions from some people. They were allowed to kick our best player, Bellingham, out of the game. Also, Watkins just doesn't have the presence that Kane does. While it was far from great, I also didn't see anything to be majorly concerned about. Kane's ability to link play with those around him and Saka's pace would probably have made a significant difference last night. I know Brazil were also missing a number of players, but the only one's that would really have made a difference for them is Neymar and the goalkeepers. Casemiro's legs have gone, we see that at United most weeks in the Premier League. And Martinelli would have been on the bench anyway.

Some people imo are just suffering some PTSD from old English teams and won’t/can’t accept that this has changed and we have an abundance of creative, technically gifted footballers now.

Like you say .. we have the star men this season from Bayern, Madrid, Man City, Woolwich, all fighting for trophies, all used to top level games. But apparently we lack technical quality or something …

Even half our backline start for Man City and that’s our weak-point. We have so much individual class in this team it’s almost ridiculous.

Especially having both Bellingham + Kane .. arguably the two top performing individuals in European football this season? Mental.

We’ve improved DRAMATICALLY since the last Euros, where we lost a final on penalties, yet it won’t stop the same old cliches about no hope, technically limited English footballers etc…
Can't agree with that last paragraph. We haven't improved DRAMATICALLY. If anything, we've plateaued.

We have the players to go up another level, but I really don't think we will under Southgate.

Question to anyone that thought the performance was ok 'cos we had a degree of control that prevented Brazil running riot.........

At 75min; why not try and change the game in an attacking sense and try to win the game in the last 15 mins? ........Afterall that's where the strength in our bench is.

...........And in a knockout game one either does that or consigns themselves to ET & possibly pens. As a manager; why not a seize a friendly as an opportunity to 'practice' for that scenario?

Last edited:
Can't agree with that last paragraph. We haven't improved DRAMATICALLY. If anything, we've plateaued.

We have the players to go up another level, but I really don't think we will under Southgate.

I meant in terms of players.

From the last Euros we now have Bellingham who is a huge upgrade. Someone like Saka was a kid at that tournament and has come a long way since. Our on paper team is stronger than it was.

“This is, after all, an England squad brimming with talent, particularly in attack. Harry Kane, Bukayo Saka, Jude Bellingham, Phil Foden, Grealish, Marcus Rashford, Cole Palmer, James Maddison, Anthony Gordon, Ivan Toney, Ollie Watkins, Jarrod Bowen. That’s just the front positions, and you can pick only four of them, maximum. Virtually any England XI you could muster leaves a galaxy of world‑class talent on the bench.”

You do know that the changes are a ham-fisted tribute to 1966 and have NOTHING to do with LGBTQ yeh?
They don't really care they just want an excuse to be angry at people they don't like. They should use that small d energy on things that require anger, like hospital waiting lists and food banks. Oh an Joe Barton talking about elite soccer to Kyle Walker is like a fist fight between Nicola Sturgeon and Tyson Fury...pointless.

“This is, after all, an England squad brimming with talent, particularly in attack. Harry Kane, Bukayo Saka, Jude Bellingham, Phil Foden, Grealish, Marcus Rashford, Cole Palmer, James Maddison, Anthony Gordon, Ivan Toney, Ollie Watkins, Jarrod Bowen. That’s just the front positions, and you can pick only four of them, maximum. Virtually any England XI you could muster leaves a galaxy of world‑class talent on the bench.
Usual hyperbolic drivel from Mr Liew I see. Yes, we've got some great talent, but fuck me that 'world-class' label gets thrown around far too freely and cheaply.

Personally, I don't think we'd have any 'world class' talent on the bench, let alone a "galaxy" of it.

Usual hyperbolic drivel from Mr Liew I see. Yes, we've got some great talent, but fuck me that 'world-class' label gets thrown around far too freely and cheaply.

Personally, I don't think we'd have any 'world class' talent on the bench, let alone a "galaxy" of it.
3 or 4 world class players in that list - which is incredible but a long way from the journalist’s claim.

Back
Top Bottom