England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't want to piss on anyone chips because I'm not invested in England at international level. But I smile at the inane talking up of the side I hear from fans. They are blind to the very obvious flaws they tell you they can win this or that whilst elevating people like Leiws Dunk and Harry Maguire to 'soild defensive options. It's willfully over optimistic.

The centerbacks are weak, with the exception of Stones, the left back reliance on Shaw a huge issue because Chilwell is average. Pickford is average , Saka Walker Bellingham Rice are class the step from Kane to every other centre forward option is like the drop from the Bristol suspension bridge. Then there's the huge issue of the coach and his deputy. They will as you say be beaten by the first top notch team they play most likely in a quarter finals. Oh and still....English football has forgotten how to make a genuinely creative playmaker.

Yeah you’re spot on there. Both the Chelsea players were poor with Chilwell being well below the required standard. I was surprised how bad he was actually. The weak points in the team were very evident last night. We don’t actually have much below the starting XI although I though Gordon looked good.

As an aside the crowd love Rashford. He got by far the biggest cheers when his name was read out. I don’t think he’s good enough but that gave me the indication I needed as to why Southgate puts him in the squad.

Yeah you’re spot on there. Both the Chelsea players were poor with Chilwell being well below the required standard. I was surprised how bad he was actually. The weak points in the team were very evident last night. We don’t actually have much below the starting XI although I though Gordon looked good.

As an aside the crowd love Rashford. He got by far the biggest cheers when his name was read out. I don’t think he’s good enough but that gave me the indication I needed as to why Southgate puts him in the squad.

I like we have Gordon, he isn’t as talented as Rashford but Rashford plays with less maturity than Gordon despite the age gap. Rashford still can be greedy or thoughtless with the ball and it winds me up.

Correct. We have some wonderful players. Bellingham. Kane. Foden. Rice. Stones. These could play for any team in the world. Saka and Palmer are also wonderful players and will get better still. But there are still glaring issues in the team currently, even forgetting about Southgate for the moment.

1) Every partner for Stones is either average at the highest level, or inexperienced right now.

2) Our best full-backs, Shaw and James, are constantly injured and missing.

3) Until Mainoo gets more experience, we're still stuck with a Gallagher, Phillips or Henderson in midfield. Solid Premier League players, good players, but not what you want when playing a France, Spain, Brazil or Portugal.

4) We're chokers. We choke on the big occasions and moments. Its's a mentality thing and it's the hardest thing in football to change as getting over the line to win something is so, so difficult.
Could have played Maddison. I hear he is quite good

More I thought about the England situation particularly in light of Germany putting Naglesmann a brilliant coach in the hot seat more it pisses me off.

On paper we probably have the best attacking or at worst equal to France and Brazil. Having Kane, Foden, Saka, Bellingham etc then having no real attacking style of play other than hoping for individual moments of quality. We could have prime Messi and still look shit.

In my entire lifetime we have had 2 good managers, Venables and Hoddle. The rest either average or washed up, nearly alway reliant on individual moments rather than collective superiority. Think of what Poch did with the AVB/Sherwood squad or what Redknapp did with the Ramos squad. England live in a perpetual AVB world where the entire game plan is to hope Kane or Bellingham pull magic from their arse.

Germany who are decent beat a superior French team last night with Mbappe. Germany now have Naglesmann, could England at least not have Eddie Howe or Graham Potter, maybe not as good as Naglesmann but far better at coaching than Southgate.

The FA never give the impression they desperately want a trophy, there is nothing ruthless about us. Southgate took over at the right time, at a low ebb, but he clearly isn’t the man to take us forward in a very different situation, he should have left last tournament. Yet again I can see us wasting an opportunity to do something.

More I thought about the England situation particularly in light of Germany putting Naglesmann a brilliant coach in the hot seat more it pisses me off.

On paper we probably have the best attacking or at worst equal to France and Brazil. Having Kane, Foden, Saka, Bellingham etc then having no real attacking style of play other than hoping for individual moments of quality. We could have prime Messi and still look shit.

In my entire lifetime we have had 2 good managers, Venables and Hoddle. The rest either average or washed up, nearly alway reliant on individual moments rather than collective superiority. Think of what Poch did with the AVB/Sherwood squad or what Redknapp did with the Ramos squad. England live in a perpetual AVB world where the entire game plan is to hope Kane or Bellingham pull magic from their arse.

Germany who are decent beat a superior French team last night with Mbappe. Germany now have Naglesmann, could England at least not have Eddie Howe or Graham Potter, maybe not as good as Naglesmann but far better at coaching than Southgate.

The FA never give the impression they desperately want a trophy, there is nothing ruthless about us. Southgate took over at the right time, at a low ebb, but he clearly isn’t the man to take us forward in a very different situation, he should have left last tournament. Yet again I can see us wasting an opportunity to do something.

Tell you what though, Kroos looked to have rolled back the years. He doesn't get anywhere near enough credit as he deserves. Especially when people mention Zidane, Xavi, Iniesta etc

Germany are going into the Euros on zero pressure. I actually think with Kroos back and the likes of Musiala and Wirtz hitting form, they honestly may surprise a few.

Tell you what though, Kroos looked to have rolled back the years. He doesn't get anywhere near enough credit as he deserves. Especially when people mention Zidane, Xavi, Iniesta etc

Germany are going into the Euros on zero pressure. I actually think with Kroos back and the likes of Musiala and Wirtz hitting form, they honestly may surprise a few.

Good team and above all a top coach who will get the best out of them. Might be favourites for me now.

Good team and above all a top coach who will get the best out of them. Might be favourites for me now.

Definitely a shout

But then I look at a team like Portugal and think to myself, how on earth do these not get talked about more often as favourite.

Then see a Roberto Martinez in the dugout. Though to be fair, he's got them on a good run

Have to say Mainoo looks class. United fans might be right about him, Brazilians all around and totally unfazed. For 18 his ball retention and calmness is elite.

Individually my only concerns player for player last night was Chilwell and Dunk. Chilwell just isn’t Shaw’s level and Dunk looked out of his depth which is nuts considering we have Braitwaite on the bench.

Im sorry but this is utter nonsense. I hear stuff like this before every tournament and then England only look decent against farmers in the tournaments. I would argue that the 2006 edition was way better than this current England team.
The England Team of Euro 96, was/is levels above the current team.

View: https://twitter.com/J0edinh0/status/1767690305858326656?t=cR0R6Blo5fpe2oXNPmmmMg&s=19

JN doing this for Germany whilst Southgate continues with his tried and tested double pivot black hole of death, percentage and Individual brilliance football.

This is why we won't with the Euro's, people talk about quality and over rating players etc...it's nothing to do with that, it's a coaching issue and how he will set this team up.

England should rightly go into that tournaments as joint favs on paper and anyone saying otherwise doesn't understand football or their a hater but since Southgate is the coach I don't really hold much faith, probably semi's at best.

Last edited:
Still don't get all the criticism over social media this morning. Two injury hit sides played out a friendly in which there was one goal in it, which came from a poor mistake by a substitute, Lewis Dunk.

The only real concern was the lack of clear cut chances we created. But considering we had Maguire at the back and a woefully out of form Chilwell, and despite their injuries they still had Vinicius Junior, Rodrygo and Raphina all starting up front, how many clear cut chances did they create over 90 minutes?

Some people are acting as if we just lost 3-0 at home to Poland.

Back
Top Bottom