England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

View: https://twitter.com/J0edinh0/status/1767690305858326656?t=cR0R6Blo5fpe2oXNPmmmMg&s=19

JN doing this for Germany whilst Southgate continues with his tried and tested double pivot black hole of death, percentage and I dividual brilliance football.

This is why we won't with the Euro's, people talk about quality and over rating players etc...it's nothing to do with that, it's a coaching issue and how he will set this team up.

England should rightly go into that tournaments as joint favs on paper and anyone saying otherwise doesn't understand football or their a hater but since Southgate is the coach I don't really hold much faith, probably semi's at best.

Sadly teams don’t win on paper. We could have prime Messi as well but if it’s Southgate vs Nagelsmann I am going Naglesmann.

Naglesmann with a 7/10 squad will beat Southgate with a 9/10 squad on most occasions.

Sadly teams don’t win on paper. We could have prime Messi as well but if it’s Southgate vs Nagelsmann I am going Naglesmann.

Naglesmann with a 7/10 squad will beat Southgate with a 9/10 squad on most occasions.

They had a good result yesterday, scoring after 7 seconds which obviously helped them a lot, but under the same manager they lost to Austria 2-0. They also lost to Turkey. Can only imagine the carnage if England managed to lose against those two sides under Southgate.

They had a good result yesterday, scoring after 7 seconds which obviously helped them a lot, but under the same manager they lost to Austria 2-0. They also lost to Turkey. Can only imagine the carnage if England managed to lose against those two sides under Southgate.

True but give it some time, he has only just started the role. International management is nowhere near club management, there are no Pep’s or Klopp’s, once he gets them playing fully to his methods he has a huge advantage. Germany don’t have a Kane/Bellingham or Mbappe level player in their squad but they do have a lot of decent players and if they build collectively they could become a stronger force than teams who are superior on paper.

True but give it some time, he has only just started the role. International management is nowhere near club management, there are no Pep’s or Klopp’s, once he gets them playing fully to his methods he has a huge advantage. Germany don’t have a Kane/Bellingham or Mbappe level player in their squad but they do have a lot of decent players and if they build collectively they could become a stronger force than teams who are superior on paper.

I think Musiala and Wirtz are at that level. The only real thing Germany are lacking is a top class striker. I tipped them to do very well in the Euros many weeks ago regardless of form. But beating France in a friendly, while impressive, it is just a friendly at the end of the day. If England had beat Brazil 3-0 last night it wouldn't have made me think we're any more likely to win the Euros. Losing 1-0 to them with a patched up side also doesn't make me think we're any less likely than I did prior to kick off. If we beat Belgium on Tuesday, people will be fully back on board again.

I think Musiala and Wirtz are at that level. The only real thing Germany are lacking is a top class striker. I tipped them to do very well in the Euros many weeks ago regardless of form. But beating France in a friendly, while impressive, it is just a friendly at the end of the day. If England had beat Brazil 3-0 last night it wouldn't have made me think we're any more likely to win the Euros. Losing 1-0 to them with a patched up side also doesn't make me think we're any less likely than I did prior to kick off.

Musiala and Wirtz I would put with or close to Saka and Foden. Kane and Bellingham individually are just that bit more. The likes of Mbappe, Kane, Bellingham will be favourites for the Ballon.

My issue is not the result it’s the coaching, the clear lack of attacking patterns to break the opposition.

Musiala and Wirtz I would put with or close to Saka and Foden. Kane and Bellingham individually are just that bit more. The likes of Mbappe, Kane, Bellingham will be favourites for the Ballon.

My issue is not the result it’s the coaching, the clear lack of attacking patterns to break the opposition.

It's definitely a weakness under Southgate but that isn't going to change now. We are what we are under him. A difficult to beat side who rely on moments of individual brilliance or set-pieces to win games against the better teams. It's about what you would expect being managed by a former centre-back.

Still don't get all the criticism over social media this morning. Two injury hit sides played out a friendly in which there was one goal in it, which came from a poor mistake by a substitute, Lewis Dunk.

The only real concern was the lack of clear cut chances we created. But considering we had Maguire at the back and a woefully out of form Chilwell, and despite their injuries they still had Vinicius Junior, Rodrygo and Raphina all starting up front, how many clear cut chances did they create over 90 minutes?

Some people are acting as if we just lost 3-0 at home to Poland.
It wasn’t the result - it was the performance and set up.

I think Musiala and Wirtz are at that level. The only real thing Germany are lacking is a top class striker. I tipped them to do very well in the Euros many weeks ago regardless of form. But beating France in a friendly, while impressive, it is just a friendly at the end of the day. If England had beat Brazil 3-0 last night it wouldn't have made me think we're any more likely to win the Euros. Losing 1-0 to them with a patched up side also doesn't make me think we're any less likely than I did prior to kick off. If we beat Belgium on Tuesday, people will be fully back on board again.

Not sure if it's purely about the results, it's more about the performance and the progression or lack of it

It's definitely a weakness under Southgate but that isn't going to change now. We are what we are under him. A difficult to beat side who rely on moments of individual brilliance or set-pieces to win games against the better teams. It's about what you would expect being managed by a former centre-back.

You would hope he hires within his coaching team someone to fix that. The issues I see with England look purely coaching/tactical. I mean we could do with a Carrick style player (although Mainoo looks fantastic with the ball but maybe more an 8 than a 6) but to me it seems a set up problem and it just annoys me we could yet again waste a tournament when we don’t have to.

AI (which is taking over the world) has created this image of, 'england soccer players and manager learn from losing to brazil'.

i8qrmnk.png

I'm not sure it's quite captured Jordan Pickford 's latest hairdo.

Still don't get all the criticism over social media this morning. Two injury hit sides played out a friendly in which there was one goal in it, which came from a poor mistake by a substitute, Lewis Dunk.

The only real concern was the lack of clear cut chances we created. But considering we had Maguire at the back and a woefully out of form Chilwell, and despite their injuries they still had Vinicius Junior, Rodrygo and Raphina all starting up front, how many clear cut chances did they create over 90 minutes?

Some people are acting as if we just lost 3-0 at home to Poland.

I knew the game would be won by the with their final third quality. You could just see it heading that way. We looked good until having to play any kind of killer pass. Their keeper didn’t really have a save to make despite our pressure.

I’m not disappointed with our performance, it was kind of what I expected. I did think we’d win though just because of their absentees. You can never right off the Brazilians though just because they produce so many good footballers.

Friendlies are about trying things though. Nagelsmann would have learnt alot more in those games than just walking through shit.

He'll have it figured out before the Euros start. Whereas England, as we know under Southgate will just be the same team. Same style of play with no signs of tactical intelligence. Hoping for moments of magic from very talented players to see us through.

But sadly, for the most part, that's international football.

Friendlies are about trying things though. Nagelsmann would have learnt alot more in those games than just walking through shit.

He'll have it figured out before the Euros start. Whereas England, as we know under Southgate will just be the same team. Same style of play with no signs of tactical intelligence. Hoping for moments of magic from very talented players to see us through.

Exactly, we would have most likely won that match if Kane, Saka etc...had started but we still wouldn't have learn anything new had that happened

Exactly, we would have most likely won that match if Kane, Saka etc...had started but we still wouldn't have learn anything new had that happened

I give credit for Southgate for using Mainoo, he like Sarr looks a special talent. Can’t for the life of me figure why Braitwaite wasn’t used, the most gifted CB we have produced since Terry/Ferdinand, even if he fucked up (like Dunk fucked up) he would have gained experience. Playing Brighton’s Eric Dier in Dunk doesn’t fix anything. We should have Braitwaite integrated and ready for the Euro’s, we need an elite stopper like him.

4-0 home loss to Hungary and Nations League relegation too distant a memory for you?
1-0 v Hungary?
1-0 v Denmark?
2-1 v Chech Rep?

1-1 v North Macedonia
1-1 v Ukraine
0-0 v USA
1-1 v Hungary
1-1 v Poland
0-0 v Scotland
0-0 v Denmark
0-0 v Switzerland
1-1 v Colombia

That's without mentioning a lot of piss poor performances for sketchy 1-0 wins vs the likes of Australia & Lithuania..... We conceded 3 against Kosovo FFS!

????

4-0 home loss to Hungary and Nations League relegation too distant a memory for you?
1-0 v Hungary?
1-0 v Denmark?
2-1 v Chech Rep?

1-1 v North Macedonia
1-1 v Ukraine
0-0 v USA
1-1 v Hungary
1-1 v Poland
0-0 v Scotland
0-0 v Denmark
0-0 v Switzerland
1-1 v Colombia

That's without mentioning a lot of piss poor performances for sketchy 1-0 wins vs the likes of Australia & Lithuania..... We conceded 3 against Kosovo FFS!

????

I'm not sure what point you're making? I'm talking about tournament football and getting there. Not Nations League games which are glorified friendlies. You can go through the majority of countries on the planet and pluck out some poor results over a certain period of time. Who cares if England drew one of the games 1-1 against Ukraine when we finished top of the group and qualified comfortably?

Nagelsmann has being playing almost the same team in all of his games so he hasn't really being trying out anything new game to game. One swallow doesn't make a summer and beating France last night in a friendly doesn't really mean anything other than it should give them a bit of confidence for a team that's almost been in crisis for a while. It takes me back to a point I made about people changing their opinions too much from game to game. Germany lost to Austria last time out and a lot of people were saying they had no chance in the Euros, even with home advantage. They then win a friendly and because it's France, they are suddenly seemingly one of the favourites again. If they lose at home to Netherlands next week, what then?

It’s not that bad. It’s just a friendly. Now is the time to experiment and learn about the squad. That’s the point.

That’s the issue, not the result. There isn’t any real tactical evolution, even the pressing was front four press but the rest stay back which allows easy counter attacks and is how Brazil operated. Best we can hope for is using and integrating new players like Mainoo and Branthwaite.

Not really. I've barely seen him play so don't really have an opinion on him yet. And in regards to his goal earlier he could hardly have missed. But he's just signed for Real Madrid and just won his first cap for his country at 17. So despite his age he's clearly got bags of talent and ability. They brought on their wonder boy and we were left bringing on players that many wouldn't even have in the squad.

Yes really........ You're talking pure hype re: Endrick.

I repeat... He hasn't kicked a ball outside of Brazil so far and you now conceded you "barely" (I suspect hadn't before last night) seen him play.

.......So don't use him as a superior measuring stick against proven good quality experienced senior pros like Bowen (14 G in 28 this EPL season!) & Rashford (17 in 35 last season... 131 senior Man U goals!) or our own 18 year old that most of the country was eager to see play last night (whom at least - by contrast - already has an EPL season under his belt.

You seem to be a master of making statement; then shooting it down yourself when attempting to defend them.

You also seem oblivious to the fact that Southgate has an actual track record that can be scrutinised and tangibly criticized rather than blindly defended by whataboutism.

Back
Top Bottom