Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whenever I see people quoting "I don't think you understand" with the Dele song, I get Sarah Silverman's 'Fucking Matt Damon' stuck in my head.

:llorisunsure:

Good to see Dele hitting turbo mode after the damp patch of form he was in that bookended the summer.

I bet Ruby Mae had a damp patch on Wednesday night.

From RAWK

PL appearances made to reach 20 goals:
52 – DELE ALLI
74 – Paul Scholes
90 – David Beckham
140 – Frank Lampard
169 – Steven Gerrard
That's impressive although Gerrard played far deeper than the rest of them for the first 6-7 years of his career (apart from Lampard maybe).

Yeah....its still 117 less games though isnt it

The other notable think about these comparisons is that the other players were at big clubs in their youth development. All except Lampard were youth development products of the clubs they ended up playing for. That's an advantage that Dele didn't have.

I think it's so weird when people label us a selling club. It's not like we put our best players in the shop window, Levy has always fought very hard to keep the best players at the club. Usually it gets very ugly (Modric, Berbatov and Bale sagas). We're slowly becoming a real powerhouse in football and in a couple of years will definitely be able to compete on wages and hopefully on football too

Let's not forget that there was a time when Utd would come calling and we could not resist, Sheringham, Carrick, Berbatov. But then we got big enough to resist. If we win something in the next couple of seasons, which I think is likely, then we may have reached that point with the likes of Real.

Let's not forget that there was a time when Utd would come calling and we could not resist, Sheringham, Carrick, Berbatov. But then we got big enough to resist. If we win something in the next couple of seasons, which I think is likely, then we may have reached that point with the likes of Real.
We'll also inevitably see the Mourinho meltdown, followed by leaving United worse than he found it, in two/three years time.

Disagree with you about Real though.
No-one manages to keep their top players when Barca/Real come calling and the player wants to leave.

We'll also inevitably see the Mourinho meltdown, followed by leaving United worse than he found it, in two/three years time.

Disagree with you about Real though.
No-one manages to keep their top players when Barca/Real come calling and the player wants to leave.

I didn't say we'd necessarily keep them, I said we'd resist. Spurs are very different to the club we were a few years back and we will be even more different in a few year's time, in terms of the team togetherness, the manager, the facilities, challenging for titles, qualifying for CL, and soon, I believe, wages. Dele, and others, may simply chose to stay and resist the temptation altogether. Or if they do decide to go I expect us to resist for longer than we have been able to in the past, to put it off for another season or two. There really is no down side to putting it off from our point of view, it means the player helps you achieve more the longer they are with you and their price just goes up further. The difficulty has always been that we were not big enough to be able to get the play to agree to stay a bit longer and to pay them enough in the meantime to make them more agreeable.

What's this thread doing on the third page of the forum after yesterday's performance?

His disallowed goal was brilliant, have a look at it again, he just knows how to get the ball past the keeper with a little flick that the keeper won't expect. And although offside, his movement was excellent.

But it was disallowed. Look at his assist for Kane's third goal. He's 20 and he's perfected that. He controls a ball in, turns and is deciding what to do, what Kane will do, while facing two players in front of him that aim to block his shot or pass. He has to get it over both of them, then he has to get it back down in a very small zone where Kane can get to it, and where the goalkeeper can't. There is so much to get wrong there. But he did it all perfectly.

With all the excitement for his potential it's almost easy to forget how talented he is right now. Brilliant tekkers (his catalogue of volleys are better than many established players career HLs), great athlete and intelligent on the pitch.
So much in his locker.

I think he's going to own the 2020s (the years not the cricket, comedians).

Who would you compare him to be in terms of the type of player he is? I'm not sure about the Gerrard and Lampard comparisons unless he drops deeper.

I saw Brian Laudrup compared him to Gus Poyet in terms of style and I thought that actually wasn't a bad shout.

Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris is enjoying watching Dele Alli develop.

Speaking with L'Equipe, Lloris was asked about the England whizkid.

"He's a young player. But I've been in professional football for twelve years and we're going to say that he has something, this boy.

"I love him, I love his personality, completely different from me, his carefree side. As soon as one asks questions about him, that he seems in a difficult moment, he stands up, he scores. I know what awaits him, praise, criticism and as I have a very good relationship with him, I think it's my role as captain to watch over this, to be there.

"But he has something special, yes."

Such a close squad! Too close? :llorishowudoin::wanyama::dier:

Who would you compare him to be in terms of the type of player he is? I'm not sure about the Gerrard and Lampard comparisons unless he drops deeper.

I saw Brian Laudrup compared him to Gus Poyet in terms of style and I thought that actually wasn't a bad shout.

I still love the Müller comparison. He's not really a forward, not really a midfielder, looks a bit gangly with long limbs but has excellent tekkers and absolutely knows where the back of the net is - can finish with both feet and his head reliably. They both have the same tremendous understanding of space and the ability to get free in and around the box and that is what really sets both of them apart. Both them also move the ball around the box while on attack very cleverly as well.

I don't know, that's just who he reminds me the most of every time I watch Bayern or Spurs.

LOL - Yeah Alli, one of the hottest properties in world football would need to be scouted vigorously for 6 months

C2-OHwGWQAA8zZq.jpg

LOL - Yeah Alli, one of the hottest properties in world football would need to be scouted vigorously for 6 months

C2-OHwGWQAA8zZq.jpg

If it wasn't such an obscenity, with the way those two clubs are so fucking obsessed with us they need to rebrand themselves Manchester Hotspur and Real Hotspur..

Maybe we need to threaten a breakaway Hotspur Super-League.

I still love the Müller comparison. He's not really a forward, not really a midfielder, looks a bit gangly with long limbs but has excellent tekkers and absolutely knows where the back of the net is - can finish with both feet and his head reliably. They both have the same tremendous understanding of space and the ability to get free in and around the box and that is what really sets both of them apart. Both them also move the ball around the box while on attack very cleverly as well.

I don't know, that's just who he reminds me the most of every time I watch Bayern or Spurs.

He also has these moments where he does incredibly graceful turns and pirouettes that remind me of Zidane. Of course, he's nowhere near as good, there are just those flashes of ball mastery (similar to how Edwards shows flashes of left footed dribbling that are Messi-esque, without being anywhere near that level).

Back
Top Bottom