Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought he looked a little emotional after the game yesterday, maybe I was looking for it but just not quite his normal self... can't quite put my finger on it though.

I don't like the "things will settle after the transfer window" comments, it's almost like Poch is giving the team a free pass to be shit until the window closes... he should be motivating them.

CE played all last season knowing his contract was ending hoping for a move this summer, it didn't happen, if he doesn't sign a new contract what do we think is going to happen this season? He gets effected by all this talk and goes missing. Based on the past this isn't going to be his best season. Maybe his agent will say to him don't worry, January is likely for a move...

I know it was always not a likely scenario that he would go today after playing yesterday, but the BBC have the bullet point under their "Summary" list on the deadline day page that says:

Christian Eriksen to stay at Tottenham

Haven't seen any official confirmation?

Decent first half yesterday but the 2nd half completely passed him by and his set pieces were woeful (again). If he's willing to show the fight that he did in the first half then him staying will be good for us but I really hope it won't hamper Lo Celso's integration into the first XI because ultimately he is the future and we need to build around that and not a player that thinks he belongs at RM.

with us he's one of the first on the team sheet, but no other club wants to come and make an offer for him ? so what makes him think that being a free agent he will get into a top teams first 11, I understand he wants more money but will he play enough for a top team
I don’t think it’s (mostly) about the money. If he really wanted to get paid, he could sign a pre-contract for Man U in January for huge wages. I suspect they’d offer more than RM or Barca will.

He wants to be part of one of the best teams in the world. And it will be a personal challenge for him to become more than a squad player there.

Pochettino to take over at Real next summer and his first signing will be Eriksen on a free

Bet they've been planning it together:eriksenlol::pochlol:

I don’t think it’s (mostly) about the money. If he really wanted to get paid, he could sign a pre-contract for Man U in January for huge wages. I suspect they’d offer more than RM or Barca will.

He wants to be part of one of the best teams in the world. And it will be a personal challenge for him to become more than a squad player there.

Completely agree but do you think he would be able to command a regular first team place at the likes of Barca, RM or PSG ? Personally I don't and if Eriksen does then I think he is deluded. His inconsistency of performance levels would frustrate any manager under intense scrutiny and pressure to bring trophies and titles to his ever demanding club owners and fans.

Completely agree but do you think he would be able to command a regular first team place at the likes of Barca, RM or PSG ? Personally I don't and if Eriksen does then I think he is deluded. His inconsistency of performance levels would frustrate any manager under intense scrutiny and pressure to bring trophies and titles to his ever demanding club owners and fans.
No, I don't think he will either. But I don't think it's inconceivable that he does. In other words, I'm not going to go so far as to say he's deluded. I'd say he's making a big bet on himself, and I don't like his odds.

While I'm sure he wants to continue playing 3,000 minutes a year, it's also possible he would rather play 1,000 a year at a Barca or RM than 3,000 at Spurs.

Maybe we can tweet at him and ask?

:eriksenlol:

No, I don't think he will either. But I don't think it's inconceivable that he does. In other words, I'm not going to go so far as to say he's deluded. I'd say he's making a big bet on himself, and I don't like his odds.

While I'm sure he wants to continue playing 3,000 minutes a year, it's also possible he would rather play 1,000 a year at a Barca or RM than 3,000 at Spurs.

Maybe we can tweet at him and ask?

:eriksenlol:

I agree, his ego perhaps at work, much better analogy of the situation than my 'deluded' reference. :thumbup:

I know it was always not a likely scenario that he would go today after playing yesterday, but the BBC have the bullet point under their "Summary" list on the deadline day page that says:

Christian Eriksen to stay at Tottenham

Haven't seen any official confirmation?
Fantastic news

I agree, his ego perhaps at work, much better analogy of the situation than my 'deluded' reference. :thumbup:

It's also possible that he knows the odds aren't great for being a regular first 11, but that he feels he has to take the risk anyway. Haven't people talked about his dream of playing in Spain since being a kid? He's carefully orchestrated his career up to this point, going from Denmark to Ajax to Spurs, building himself up with tons of playing time. Now he's 27 (28 next year when his contract runs out), in his absolute prime. It's now or never--if he doesn't go to Barca or RM now, he'll never have another chance. Maybe he feels like he just has to go for it or he'll forever wonder what could've been.

EDIT: And while I'll be sad if/when he leaves Spurs, if what I just laid out is his attitude, I have to admire it. Really embodies "to dare is to do" when you think about it.

I'm sad he's going to leave on a free... awful business from "Levy"

If the player doesn't want to sign a deal and no club wants to pay a fee, what are we supposed to do? I suppose we could have sold him last year but I don't think the club were ready to give up on him extending his deal at that point.

We've tried and tried to get him to sign but he won't, both the club and Eriksen imagined there would be substantial interest in him this summer but it never came. It's made all involved look a bit silly.

If the player doesn't want to sign a deal and no club wants to pay a fee, what are we supposed to do? I suppose we could have sold him last year but I don't think the club were ready to give up on him extending his deal at that point.

We've tried and tried to get him to sign but he won't, both the club and Eriksen imagined there would be substantial interest in him this summer but it never came. It's made all involved look a bit silly.

Can't see how it's really embarrassed the club. They have allegedly made more than one offer and he's turned them down. If the guy is adamant he wants to leave we have little choice in the matter.

I cannot fathom why he would want to go on a free... That he would want to go to a club that did not want him enough to fork out the cash.

He gave a rather weird interview to Danish news today.. Sounded like he is fed up with it all.

Can't see how it's really embarrassed the club. They have allegedly made more than one offer and he's turned them down. If the guy is adamant he wants to leave we have little choice in the matter.

What made us think there was any chance of extending his contract? It seemed like we gambled on thinking we could change his mind but Eriksen has consistently refused to consider our offers.

Perhaps he will play a great season and we will not be too upset about losing him on a free but in terms of our finances that £50-60m will be a big blow. It won't be easy for us to sign players next summer without selling a big star. Most of our deadwood has gone now and we needed that fee for our transfer budget.

He gave a rather weird interview to Danish news today.. Sounded like he is fed up with it all.

I'm sure he is disappointed, he wanted to leave and start a new challenge but he has to get on with it now. I'm sure that with the CL starting and the games coming thick and fast he will get his head down and work hard. If he wants that big salary and signing fee from Juve/Real then he needs to show he is worth it.

Agree with this.
Could of got £80-£120m last year depending on which way the wind blew - but that would have been premature - and maybe we wouldn’t have made UCL Final?

I’m pleased he is staying as we were never going to get more than £50m once our window closed - and with him in the squad we are better.

With Arse, Chelski and United in some form of transition, this is an important year to kick on, and he’ll help that.

He’ll then go on a free next summer and we’d have had pretty good value for our £12m.....

Think about this....

If he’d arrived at 28 and gave us six cracking years - he’d have retired and we’d have to replace him with no transfer fee accrued.....

yeah.... this is worse than PSG's Rabiot case. Eriksen is easily worth 80-100m euros. If he helps have a deep CL run the money generated will us compensate for this frustrating situation.

Back
Top Bottom