Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This talk about how he will help the club generate cash by doing well in the league is a given. He is still contracted till next year. The 50 million we will be missing from his transfer however will give us one hell of a tragic transfer window next year.
If he plays at 50-70% I’d be happy I guess, don’t have much choice in the short term unless lo Celso blows the fuck up

This talk about how he will help the club generate cash by doing well in the league is a given. He is still contracted till next year. The 50 million we will be missing from his transfer however will give us one hell of a tragic transfer window next year.

Why? you can't miss money you don't have ... we have already replaced him with three new players and we have plenty of money to buy more. Eriksen won't sign, he's not the first he won't be the last shit happens.

It might not fit your negative arguments (you are a troll after all) but players getting old and leaving is not new, since Poch has been here we've lost BAE, Gomes, llorente for nothing, and a whole bunch of players have also been let go cheap just to get them off the books, these things happen you can't stop father time.

Next January, or in the summer, we will possibly lose Eriksen, Vert, Toby and maybe Sissoko, Danny, Wanyama for very little money, such is life. All off them will be fully amortised assets so no cost to the club.

The fact we are now generating >100m profit will still allow us to sign new players, this is not 2015 anymore we've spent the 800m to generate income, we're at a whole different level.

I'm sure you will find something negative to post, but ageing players running out of contract, superstars wanting a move, that has and always will happen just get over it.

Why? you can't miss money you don't have ... we have already replaced him with three new players and we have plenty of money to buy more. Eriksen won't sign, he's not the first he won't be the last shit happens.

It might not fit your negative arguments (you are a troll after all) but players getting old and leaving is not new, since Poch has been here we've lost BAE, Gomes, llorente for nothing, and a whole bunch of players have also been let go cheap just to get them off the books, these things happen you can't stop father time.

Next January, or in the summer, we will possibly lose Eriksen, Vert, Toby and maybe Sissoko, Danny, Wanyama for very little money, such is life. All off them will be fully amortised assets so no cost to the club.

The fact we are now generating >100m profit will still allow us to sign new players, this is not 2015 anymore we've spent the 800m to generate income, we're at a whole different level.

I'm sure you will find something negative to post, but ageing players running out of contract, superstars wanting a move, that has and always will happen just get over it.

But this is not a player in his prime being sold for good money nor is it a player aging out into worthlessness that we get nothing for. This is a very good player in his prime that we are losing for nothing. It's a totally unique situation for Spurs at least in the last 10 to 15 years.

50 million pounds lost is 50 million pounds lost. Whatever our transfer bucket is for next Summer, it would've been 50 million pounds more if we sold Eriksen.

But this is not a player in his prime being sold for good money nor is it a player aging out into worthlessness that we get nothing for. This is a very good player in his prime that we are losing for nothing. It's a totally unique situation for Spurs at least in the last 10 to 15 years.

50 million pounds lost is 50 million pounds lost. Whatever our transfer bucket is for next Summer, it would've been 50 million pounds more if we sold Eriksen.

It's fifty million pounds not gained ... you can't lose what you don't have .... remember Eriksen can easily justify 300k a week, that's at least three years where we've saved 200k a week in wages by having him on a very low salary ... so that a very real 30m that, by his choice in turning down new contracts, we've not payed him .... weigh that up against a transfer fee we won't now get and are we that much worse off? ... remember we've had three extra years of him playing for us, would we have even been a CL team without him.

Whilst him leaving on a free is disappointing, him being here on little more than footballing loose change for five years has been worth that 50m transfer fee twice over .... wish he'd sign and stay but don't begrudge him his dreams ... nobody can say he hasn't served us well.

I couldnt stop laughing after reading "You cant lose money we dont have". Its called selling a player for more than you bought to make a profit. It's what clubs do in case you havent noticed. And I love how you bring up old players past their prime like Llorente to support your argument. You mean Eriksen is more like Llorente than Modric? Why didnt we just fly Modric to Madrid for free? He played his money's worth during the years we had him. There was no need to be greedy by getting a transfer fee for him right? Think about the 300k in wages we saved right mate?Eriksen is valued at 80 million and we lose not just the player but get nothing in return. 80 million doesnt just fall from the trees. He is one of our best players and you are totally okay seeing him leave for nothing but so did 50 yr old Llorente so it's ok. Whatever floats your boat mate. Forget about an Eriksen replacement I just hope Levy coughs up enough money to buy a right back in the summer.

I couldnt stop laughing after reading "You cant lose money we dont have". Its called selling a player for more than you bought to make a profit. It's what clubs do in case you havent noticed. And I love how you bring up old players past their prime like Llorente to support your argument. You mean Eriksen is more like Llorente than Modric? Why didnt we just fly Modric to Madrid for free? He played his money's worth during the years we had him. There was no need to be greedy by getting a transfer fee for him right? Think about the 300k in wages we saved right mate?Eriksen is valued at 80 million and we lose not just the player but get nothing in return. 80 million doesnt just fall from the trees. He is one of our best players and you are totally okay seeing him leave for nothing but so did 50 yr old Llorente so it's ok. Whatever floats your boat mate. Forget about an Eriksen replacement I just hope Levy coughs up enough money to buy a right back in the summer.

Not sure what bit about player contracts you can't understand ... but hey whatever, you live in your sad little depressed world where it's all gloom and doom if you must. Me I'll appreciate what we've had and what is yet to come ... Eriksen included

no one came in for Eriksen so he was not worth £80m, maybe we could have got £50m who knows.
to us he is worth a lot as he makes our team work, you could see Chelsea or man U coming in for him, but none of the top euro clubs come in for him so he's not their first or second choice
in the summer he will have a lot of clubs after him as he is" free" but that doesn't change the fact that they didn't think he was good enough for 1st or 2nd choice in this window, so will he just be a bit part player for these other teams ? to me that's how it looks
so is it better to be bit part player at real madrid or main man at spurs ?

John will want that new player regardless of any fee lost; expect to both have his cake and eat it and just cast Levy as the villain of the piece.... #NotMyMoney
As I keep telling you in private, we're not trying one last time

Airfixx Airfixx is just bitter since I dumped him. In case anyone was wonderin' why he's stalking me in every thread..

I don't think he will.
If his immediate future is confirmed with us he'll knuckle down and play.
When you've got the uncertainty of the last few weeks swirling round your head it's bound to effect your game.
And even with that, he's arguably been the difference between us going into the international break with 5 points rather than 1

Lets roll this back two seasons... he was being talked about as a £100m+ player... he’s not and hasn’t played to this level for a while. For most of last season his head didn’t appear to be in the right place. With a transfer likely again at the end of the season, maybe even January what makes you think he won’t continue to be distracted?

I wish but I’m sorry I just don’t see it. I believe he will continue as he left off last season. This love affair is over...

It's fifty million pounds not gained ... you can't lose what you don't have .... remember Eriksen can easily justify 300k a week, that's at least three years where we've saved 200k a week in wages by having him on a very low salary ... so that a very real 30m that, by his choice in turning down new contracts, we've not payed him .... weigh that up against a transfer fee we won't now get and are we that much worse off? ... remember we've had three extra years of him playing for us, would we have even been a CL team without him.

Whilst him leaving on a free is disappointing, him being here on little more than footballing loose change for five years has been worth that 50m transfer fee twice over .... wish he'd sign and stay but don't begrudge him his dreams ... nobody can say he hasn't served us well.

We may not be talking about the same thing. I'm talking about selling him in the transfer window that just passed. i.e. 50 million pounds lost (if that's what we were after) in order to get 1 season of Eriksen. For sure we are getting him on a "deal" of a contract, so probably 5 million pounds saved there versus the 200K we offered him. But it's still 45 million pounds foregone in order to get Eriksen at the uppermost salary we would have been willing to pay for a year. That's too steep IMO.

If we're talking about selling Eriksen LAST YEAR, which you seemed to be hinting at, that's a whole different ball of wax with different math.

It seems clear to me that the team wanted to sell Eriksen but just couldn't get the 50 million pound offer from the teams he was willing to go to. Such is life. We move on and hopefully Eriksen fires us to something great this year to make it all worthwhile.

We may not be talking about the same thing. I'm talking about selling him in the transfer window that just passed. i.e. 50 million pounds lost (if that's what we were after) in order to get 1 season of Eriksen. For sure we are getting him on a "deal" of a contract, so probably 5 million pounds saved there versus the 200K we offered him. But it's still 45 million pounds foregone in order to get Eriksen at the uppermost salary we would have been willing to pay for a year. That's too steep IMO.

If we're talking about selling Eriksen LAST YEAR, which you seemed to be hinting at, that's a whole different ball of wax with different math.

It seems clear to me that the team wanted to sell Eriksen but just couldn't get the 50 million pound offer from the teams he was willing to go to. Such is life. We move on and hopefully Eriksen fires us to something great this year to make it all worthwhile.

OK .... that's a different spin, for sure we would have been better off taking the 50m last window and I'm pretty sure we would have taken it even from Utd ... but no offers came and Eriksen made it very clear he was only interested in two clubs anyway.

My point was that we signed Eriksen for beans, paid him peanuts, and for that we have had a world class player for 7 years, the fact we won't "gain" by selling him shouldn't negate the incredible value we've had. Eriksen will have stayed on a very low (in football terms) salary for four years that was his choice and he will now benefit from that in massive signing on fees, we've already had that benefit by having him play for us for four years on a teenager's salary .... it's swings and roundabouts.

I'm told that bridges have now been burnt, not even sure if there is a contract offer still on the table, he will be used and then moved on possibly in January if the right team comes knocking, or when his contract expires next summer. I'm 100% sure he will give his very best, let's hope he goes out with a trophy or two.

Yeh, you’re not losing money if you’ve never had it in the first place. It’s a weird psychological phenomenon left over from evolution to prevent risk-taking. Seems counter-intuitive, but once the money’s been spent, it’s spent, so you can’t get it back: that’s why people hold onto junk that doesn’t work properly, ‘just in case’. Actually, it’s impossible to become worse off if you never use an item once you’ve paid for it, so there’s no further loss involved. That’s why it’s so frustrating to Levy and Poch having to pay wages to injured players - they are paying, but not getting the use. With Eriksen it’s different.

So, if Eriksen doesn’t sign and goes for a free, we’ve lost nothing - because we spent the money on the player and contract that we’d planned to and got our planned use from him. To paraphrase Poch: ‘he’s not a chair (but kind of is, if you think of it in terms of pure economics)’.

Please explain how you can 'disagree' with my post that he wouldn't be guaranteed a first team place at a top club like Barca, Real Madrid and PSG knowing that these were his only preferred choices and then you post

That he would want to go to a club that did not want him enough to fork out the cash.

If they are not that bothered about paying for him they cannot be that concerned about wanting him to play regularly for them can they :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
I disagreed with you saying he was deluded, as I think RM did want him at one point, and I think they made a "deal" before signing ZZ.

Also that he would not walk into the starting lineup at PSG. I think he would.

And he has expressed no desire to go to PSG.

I personally also think he would fight for starting 11 at Barca.

Jesus I have received the x for worse, dont see me complaining...

Want me to remove it? I do not really care.

Last edited:
I disagreed with you saying he was deluded, as I think RM did want him at one point, and I think they made a "deal" before signing ZZ.

Also that he would not walk into the starting lineup at PSG. I think he would.

And he has expressed no desire to go to PSG.

I personally also think he would fight for starting 11 at Barca.

Jesus I have received the x for worse, dont see me complaining...

Want me to remove it? I do not really care.
I asked a question, you've answered it...

Back
Top Bottom