Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We cant buy any new players until the seasons half over, at least.

Surely better to have him available and playing for us. Our squad would be weaker without him
Our squad will be weaker without him when he does leave that's for sure but there are factors to consider before just selecting him. We need to use the time available before his departure to prepare for that event and give his replacement(s) sufficient game exposure. We also have no absolute guarantees about how his attitude will be during this interim period and whether or not his performances will decline. As a professional footballer I would not expect him to just switch off and wait for next summer but it's nevertheless a delicate situation that needs careful balancing by Poch.

We cant buy any new players until the seasons half over, at least.

Surely better to have him available and playing for us. Our squad would be weaker without him

The timing would suck because as you said we couldn't replace him immediately, but 50 million pounds buys you a player with a real chance for excellence in today's market. I'd rather suffer through this season and redeploy that money on somebody who can make the squad better for years to come than essentially pay a 50 million pound fee to get Eriksen on loan for a year.

Though to be fair his wages are quite good for us.

EDIT: In any case, it's moot. He's staying for the season.

Our squad will be weaker without him when he does leave that's for sure but there are factors to consider before just selecting him. We need to use the time available before his departure to prepare for that event and give his replacement(s) sufficient game exposure. We also have no absolute guarantees about how his attitude will be during this interim period and whether or not his performances will decline. As a professional footballer I would not expect him to just switch off and wait for next summer but it's nevertheless a delicate situation that needs careful balancing by Poch.

I think it's less tricky than some imagine. He should be a fixture in the first 11 unless it becomes clear we have a better option. There will be plenty of opportunities through Cup matches, substitutions, crazy periods where we have like 4 matches in 14 days, and injuries for possible replacements to prove their worth.

I think it's less tricky than some imagine. He should be a fixture in the first 11 unless it becomes clear we have a better option. There will be plenty of opportunities through Cup matches, substitutions, crazy periods where we have like 4 matches in 14 days, and injuries for possible replacements to prove their worth.

You are obviously referring to later in the season when we will have league fixtures / league cup semi final / FA Cup semi final and CL quarter final all in a matter of days of each other I presume :thumbup: :thumbup:
:coys:

or sell him in December.... if Man U or Real Madrid both struggle immensely, which is possible, they might need him ASAP and pay a fee to get him sooner

or sell him in December.... if Man U or Real Madrid both struggle immensely, which is possible, they might need him ASAP and pay a fee to get him sooner
So you'd be happy to strengthen a struggling Man Utd team half way through the season. Possibly to our detriment. Just for the sake of a nominal transfer fee?
Seems a strange logic for a Spurs fan.

I'd rather sell him to Real Madrid (and I think he'd rather go there) but if the money's real good....couldn't turn down £50m

I cannot fathom why he would want to go on a free... That he would want to go to a club that did not want him enough to fork out the cash.

He gave a rather weird interview to Danish news today.. Sounded like he is fed up with it all.

Please explain how you can 'disagree' with my post that he wouldn't be guaranteed a first team place at a top club like Barca, Real Madrid and PSG knowing that these were his only preferred choices and then you post

That he would want to go to a club that did not want him enough to fork out the cash.

If they are not that bothered about paying for him they cannot be that concerned about wanting him to play regularly for them can they :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Last edited:
Agree with this.
Could of got £80-£120m last year depending on which way the wind blew - but that would have been premature - and maybe we wouldn’t have made UCL Final?

I’m pleased he is staying as we were never going to get more than £50m once our window closed - and with him in the squad we are better.

With Arse, Chelski and United in some form of transition, this is an important year to kick on, and he’ll help that.

He’ll then go on a free next summer and we’d have had pretty good value for our £12m.....

Think about this....

If he’d arrived at 28 and gave us six cracking years - he’d have retired and we’d have to replace him with no transfer fee accrued.....
Just a shame he is going to spend another season thinking about a transfer rather than his game

Just a shame he is going to spend another season thinking about a transfer rather than his game
I don't think he will.
If his immediate future is confirmed with us he'll knuckle down and play.
When you've got the uncertainty of the last few weeks swirling round your head it's bound to effect your game.
And even with that, he's arguably been the difference between us going into the international break with 5 points rather than 1

That’s the only scenario I had of us getting a fee for him. That one of the elite sides has a nightmare up til Jan ..... force their hand

(I don’t include Utd in that )

The timing would suck because as you said we couldn't replace him immediately, but 50 million pounds buys you a player with a real chance for excellence in today's market. I'd rather suffer through this season and redeploy that money on somebody who can make the squad better for years to come than essentially pay a 50 million pound fee to get Eriksen on loan for a year.

Though to be fair his wages are quite good for us.

EDIT: In any case, it's moot. He's staying for the season.

John will want that new player regardless of any fee lost; expect to both have his cake and eat it and just cast Levy as the villain of the piece.... #NotMyMoney

Last edited:
This talk about how he will help the club generate cash by doing well in the league is a given. He is still contracted till next year. The 50 million we will be missing from his transfer however will give us one hell of a tragic transfer window next year.

Back
Top Bottom