Benteke, Austin or Ings?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Benteke, Austin or Ings?

• Benteke

• Austin

• Ings

Results are only viewable after voting.
Berahino- assuming Poch can control his off field antics in a big city like London. Ings is best suited to our style out of the 3 named lads, & from what I've seen he's a bloody great bloke, but so is Soldado. But I have a feeling that if Berahino adds a big dollop of maturity he could be the business.

Berahino has amazing talent, the question is his attitude, it's a gamble, if he gets his head together we have a top top player.

Last edited:
I honestly think Jay Rodriguez would have been perfect, as back up to Kane as a CF and also battling for that start on the LW with Chadli. That would have made more sense. But obviously the new contract has messed that up.

I think like people have said, Ings would be best suited to us, but he would be more of a starter at the scousers.

All teams in the premier league should be looking at top Championship goalscorers, I don't get why they are most of the time, overlooked. They would most definitely jump at the chance to come to us, even as a backup, and the lure of playing in Europe too, as well as being cheaper.

Wilson, Gestede, Deeney, Rhodes. Scoring more than 20 goals in a season in a tough league like that isn't easy. Could be a risk, but their desire would be there.

It could be argued Benteke is better than Kane. And no, I ain't going to argue that as I don't have the energy or inclination, let's see how Kane gets on next year when everyone's got his number. It will a big challenge for the young man.
If we get rid of Ade we have the money to pay big wages that a top striker can demand.
But do we want to? Kane is on 35k a week right now. Benteke the same. We'd need to offer Benteke more than his current wages to make it worthwhile to be a back up. How much more? Plus his transfer fee.

We aren't going to pay Benteke 100k a week to be a back up. Which is what he would be. That would create plenty of team friction if a bunch of key first eleven players are making around a third of that.

Still not seeing the logic.

But do we want to? Kane is on 35k a week right now. Benteke the same. We'd need to offer Benteke more than his current wages to make it worthwhile to be a back up. How much more? Plus his transfer fee.

We aren't going to pay Benteke 100k a week to be a back up. Which is what he would be. That would create plenty of team friction if a bunch of key first eleven players are making around a third of that.

Still not seeing the logic.
Why would he be back-up?
Kane's new deal is supposed to be £45k pw + there are rumours of another not far off from being offered.
Benteke is more experienced (in Prem & Internationally) so would command higher wages, but that said both could be paid the same per week, no?
Kane hasn't spat his dummy out because of Soldado's £60k pw wages, so why would paying Benteke more create friction?

Austin was the best of the three this season (judging from the little I've seen, and from their stats as well), so I voted Austin. Wouldn't mind paying half of this transfer window budget on him.

Second, I would name Berahino (off list I know).
Then Benteke, and last Ings.

I think we need 2 new strikers, if we could release Adebayor and sell Soldado for decent money. Ings and Austin would both be great, and with Kane we would have 3 starters ... and 2 of them could start together each week.

I've put Austin on the basis that we won't pay £20-25m for Benteke and not sure about Ings (and think he'll stay North anyway).

To be honest I wish we could find our own Berbatov, Bony or Benteke at £8m ish. We've lucked out with Kane but had some dross delivered at huge expense as well.

Voted ings but would be happy with him , berahino, or even shane long. Benteke and Austin are too similiar to Kane, if Pochettino adapted his tactics more often and could play Kane as a false number 9 now and again, a big hold up striker like Benteke or even that guy at Swansea with the dreads would be great. But alas Poch is stubborn tactically and I think will always play one striker

Voted ings but would be happy with him , berahino, or even shane long. Benteke and Austin are too similiar to Kane, if Pochettino adapted his tactics more often and could play Kane as a false number 9 now and again, a big hold up striker like Benteke or even that guy at Swansea with the dreads would be great. But alas Poch is stubborn tactically and I think will always play one striker
Could be wrong, but I think Benteke would be the one that would be hardest to combine with Kane and the one we are least able to supply properly with our present style. He could turn out like Bent ... a very decent player we never used properly.

Could be wrong, but I think Benteke would be the one that would be hardest to combine with Kane and the one we are least able to supply properly with our present style. He could turn out like Bent ... a very decent player we never used properly.

I would agree with you, I think Benteke seems like the kind of player who needs to be the focal point of the team, if you look at his recent rennaisance it is down to Tim playing the team to his strengths and making him the main man. He thrives off crosses and headed goals, with our tactics using inverted wingers his qualities will be stiffled, also there is the Kane factor. I could only see him being a success for us in some parallel universe where Kane was born in Gabon and plays in the French league instead.

Why would he be back-up?
Kane's new deal is supposed to be £45k pw + there are rumours of another not far off from being offered.
Benteke is more experienced (in Prem & Internationally) so would command higher wages, but that said both could be paid the same per week, no?
Kane hasn't spat his dummy out because of Soldado's £60k pw wages, so why would paying Benteke more create friction?
He would be back-up because Kane is currently front page news across the country, and is the new face of the team.

Also, there's the matter of 31 goals in all competitions.

Kane didn't spit his dummy out because Soldado came in a big money deal and was supposed to be "the guy". However, Kane is now "the guy" in a fairly visible way. That changes things, and having the back-up coming in on higher wages would either mean the club doesn't think he's going to be the main guy going forward, or he's underpaid and should be demanding more.

I don't think Harry is a problem child likely to demand a massive salary. But I do think that we would need to pay substantial wages to Benteke to convince him to come to Spurs as a back-up to Kane, because there is no way he wouldn't be the back-up.

I don't think that's a can of worms worth opening, especially when I don't think he's worth spending 20+ million on when our needs are much greater at other locations on the pitch.

He would be back-up because Kane is currently front page news across the country, and is the new face of the team.

Also, there's the matter of 31 goals in all competitions.

Kane didn't spit his dummy out because Soldado came in a big money deal and was supposed to be "the guy". However, Kane is now "the guy" in a fairly visible way. That changes things, and having the back-up coming in on higher wages would either mean the club doesn't think he's going to be the main guy going forward, or he's underpaid and should be demanding more.

I don't think Harry is a problem child likely to demand a massive salary. But I do think that we would need to pay substantial wages to Benteke to convince him to come to Spurs as a back-up to Kane, because there is no way he wouldn't be the back-up.

I don't think that's a can of worms worth opening, especially when I don't think he's worth spending 20+ million on when our needs are much greater at other locations on the pitch.
So we dare not sign a striker that might/could be better than Kane or one that would challenge his status as the main man? Any striker we sign should be inferior and a back up?

So we dare not sign a striker that might/could be better than Kane or one that would challenge his status as the main man? Any striker we sign should be inferior and a back up?
I think that it's not worth the bother in Benteke's case as he isn't an upgrade on Kane, and would take a lot of work and cash. If we want a striker there are cheaper options available for what we need.

We are buying a back-up. Let's be clear. This club is pretty clearly hitching itself to the Harry Kane train and anyone who doesn't like that is going to be disappointed.

Should we buy the best striker we can? Yes. But that comes with the need to balance that against other priorities. We need a good defensive/holding midfielder a lot more than Christian Benteke.

We'd probably need to pay 20+ million for each, and I doubt Levy will be willing to pay 40 million for 2 players. Ergo, Benteke is not worth the money or the potential headaches.

Back
Top Bottom