Benteke, Austin or Ings?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Benteke, Austin or Ings?

• Benteke

• Austin

• Ings

Results are only viewable after voting.
All you have to ask yourself is, Who do you fear the most when facing their respective teams..

Fear Austin when we played QPR? Nah not really..
Fear Ings when we played Burnley ? Nah not at all.
Fear Benteke when we played Villa? Damn right I did, and with reason.

Benteke to go the scousers and flop.

Austin to go to some one like Stoke or Everton and do a job.

Ings to go to Spurs score a few decent goals in the Europa but be fairly average overall and get sold under the new manager next season.

You heard it here first.

crystal_ball1.jpg

Theres a risk with Benteke, maybe he's another Ade and only a certain type of motivational manager can get him going.

Well he should be. He`s the best of the 3 mentioned, We`re supposed to be a big club, we`ve made record profits, have plenty of money and based in London. Remember, this is the player who was distraught after he signed for Villa because his agent had falsely told him they were a London club.
But your right, we probably won`t be after him. We`ll probably end up battling Palace and Bournmouth for Charlie Austin.
He's also the starting striker at Aston Villa. Why would he want to come to Spurs to play as Harry Kane's back-up? Villa will match any wages we offer because they have to, so it's not like we offer him any upside. And paying 20+ million for a back-up striker, which is what it would cost to get him out of Aston Villa, is pretty dim, when we need the money to spent on guys who will actually be first choice instead.

Really not seeing why people think we'd be in the market for him.

All you have to ask yourself is, Who do you fear the most when facing their respective teams..

Fear Austin when we played QPR? Nah not really..
Fear Ings when we played Burnley ? Nah not at all.
Fear Benteke when we played Villa? Damn right I did, and with reason.
No one would disagree with that. But that's not the same thing as being able to sign him.

At Villa, he's their most important player, and can get whatever wages he wants out of them. Villa cannot afford to let him go as they're relegation fodder without him. He'd also be very, very difficult to replace for them.

So, he's well paid, and the main star. We'd be unlikely to offer the same kind of wages, as we don't need him (we have Kane), and he wouldn't get the same attention by virtue of being the back-up.

So we don't look too appealing from his perspective. We would need to either offer substantially higher wages in order to get him to come as a back-up, or guarantee minutes (no one in their right mind would handcuff themselves like that). Not happening. Then there's the price.

Are we better off spending 20+ million on Benteke and then spending less on a holding midfielder to partner Bentaleb, or spending whatever it takes to get the best DM we can, and spending less on a back-up striker.

I think the latter choice is the way we become a better team.

If we got Ings I would see him as doing what Chadli currently does rather than being a back up striker, but he would be a useful reserve. We don't really have a player like him in the squad so he offers something the others don't.

Benteke isn't going to sit on the bench and I doubt Levy will pay that much for a bench warmer.

I wouldnt mind Austin but I doubt we will get him as I think we will be keeping Soldado this summer.

Agree this is not a fair comparison, Ings is more comparable to Chadli, Eriksen or Jay Rodriguez, he is a second striker or perhaps wide forward and on that I would defiantly take Ings.

Benteke is better than Austin but the issue you get with Benteke is that he probably wouldn't be happy unless he is first choice over Kane all the time, his fee would be very large and there are a lot of clubs after him. Austin would be cheaper and provide good competition and cover for Kane although I do share JDK JDK concern that he is primarily just a poacher.

Ings vs Rodriguez = I would take Ings.
Benteke vs Austin = Benteke would be better but Austin more realistic.

It remains to be seen if kane can repeat this seasons success, in the event he cannot we MUST have an alternative in place.

Back
Top Bottom