Benteke, Austin or Ings?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Benteke, Austin or Ings?

• Benteke

• Austin

• Ings

Results are only viewable after voting.
Benteke to go the scousers and flop.

Austin to go to some one like Stoke or Everton and do a job.

Ings to go to Spurs score a few decent goals in the Europa but be fairly average overall and get sold under the new manager next season.

You heard it here first.

crystal_ball1.jpg

Most expensive = Benteke.
Weakest of the three = Austin.
Most suited to us = Ings.

We'll end up with neither.

I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool signed at least 2 of them to be honest... they're in desperate need of a striker as Sturridge has become a cripple, Ballotelli is on his way, Lambert is an old fart and Borini is just a younger more useless version of Soldado...

All you have to ask yourself is, Who do you fear the most when facing their respective teams..

Fear Austin when we played QPR? Nah not really..
Fear Ings when we played Burnley ? Nah not at all.
Fear Benteke when we played Villa? Damn right I did, and with reason.

Benteke is the best player out of three but will never come to us and become Kane's stand in.

Ings makes a lot of sense but seems Liverpool-bound.

Austin was a handful against us, might be persuaded to come here and compete but all considered I think he'll opt for secure playing time.

All you have to ask yourself is, Who do you fear the most when facing their respective teams..

Absolutely right, I always think who would be the biggest nightmare to mark, its Benteke

Thats why Torres was found out, not scary at all, if you had to face Torres or Drogba, no contest

Only trouble with Benteke is the injuries and would he play second fiddle?

Agree. In addition need to look at our system, who is the most effective loan striker has to be Benteke. I like all three but Ings, from what I have seen is prolific when played in 4-4-2 namely with Vokes. Apart from the disastrous opening games when QPR played 3 at the back they played a 4-4-2, although I have seen Austin play like a loan striker (I guess having to play alongside Zamora, Vargas and Zarati he is actually playing on his own).
To be honest I'll take anyone of them.

No one would disagree with that. But that's not the same thing as being able to sign him.

At Villa, he's their most important player, and can get whatever wages he wants out of them. Villa cannot afford to let him go as they're relegation fodder without him. He'd also be very, very difficult to replace for them.

So, he's well paid, and the main star. We'd be unlikely to offer the same kind of wages, as we don't need him (we have Kane), and he wouldn't get the same attention by virtue of being the back-up.

So we don't look too appealing from his perspective. We would need to either offer substantially higher wages in order to get him to come as a back-up, or guarantee minutes (no one in their right mind would handcuff themselves like that). Not happening. Then there's the price.

Are we better off spending 20+ million on Benteke and then spending less on a holding midfielder to partner Bentaleb, or spending whatever it takes to get the best DM we can, and spending less on a back-up striker.

I think the latter choice is the way we become a better team.

If we got Ings I would see him as doing what Chadli currently does rather than being a back up striker, but he would be a useful reserve. We don't really have a player like him in the squad so he offers something the others don't.

Benteke isn't going to sit on the bench and I doubt Levy will pay that much for a bench warmer.

I wouldnt mind Austin but I doubt we will get him as I think we will be keeping Soldado this summer.

I thought Bojan looked pretty good at Stoke before he got injured. Not the best scoring record but when he was on it he always looked like he had the skill to create a bit of magic. Could be a decent cheap option as a back up striker?

All three would be decent. We need proven prem players who won't take long to bed in. On another note which club is going to be crazy enough to take adebayor of our wage bill now that he is in full melt down mode! :adewtf:

Benteke could have come last year but was convinced enough with Lambert to sign and stay.
He won't come now because of Kane and we don't play 433,442.
I don't rate Austin that highly. He could have a few goals at Loftus road and fluffed his lines badly. Not sure he would fit in with our non direct style. Could be wrong.
Frist thing we need to do is start to organise defensively.
Then we need more goals from the CM & AM. Kane, Eriksen and Chadli scored 21,10 & 11 but we need Lamela, Mason, Townsend, Dembele or even Nabil to be getting between 5 - 8 goals each too.
There should be a goal threat from every player that doesn't play CB.
Our other 2 strikers clocked up 1 league goal between them. So, we need a proven EPL goalscorer who can grab at least 10 or more per season, can come on alongside/replace Kane when we need to and play in Europa league.
He must be pretty cheap.

Last edited:
No one would disagree with that. But that's not the same thing as being able to sign him.

At Villa, he's their most important player, and can get whatever wages he wants out of them. Villa cannot afford to let him go as they're relegation fodder without him. He'd also be very, very difficult to replace for them.

So, he's well paid, and the main star. We'd be unlikely to offer the same kind of wages, as we don't need him (we have Kane), and he wouldn't get the same attention by virtue of being the back-up.

So we don't look too appealing from his perspective. We would need to either offer substantially higher wages in order to get him to come as a back-up, or guarantee minutes (no one in their right mind would handcuff themselves like that). Not happening. Then there's the price.

Are we better off spending 20+ million on Benteke and then spending less on a holding midfielder to partner Bentaleb, or spending whatever it takes to get the best DM we can, and spending less on a back-up striker.

I think the latter choice is the way we become a better team.
It could be argued Benteke is better than Kane. And no, I ain't going to argue that as I don't have the energy or inclination, let's see how Kane gets on next year when everyone's got his number. It will a big challenge for the young man.
If we get rid of Ade we have the money to pay big wages that a top striker can demand.

Berahino- assuming Poch can control his off field antics in a big city like London. Ings is best suited to our style out of the 3 named lads, & from what I've seen he's a bloody great bloke, but so is Soldado. But I have a feeling that if Berahino adds a big dollop of maturity he could be the business.

If we got Ings I would see him as doing what Chadli currently does rather than being a back up striker, but he would be a useful reserve. We don't really have a player like him in the squad so he offers something the others don't.

Benteke isn't going to sit on the bench and I doubt Levy will pay that much for a bench warmer.

I wouldnt mind Austin but I doubt we will get him as I think we will be keeping Soldado this summer.

Agree this is not a fair comparison, Ings is more comparable to Chadli, Eriksen or Jay Rodriguez, he is a second striker or perhaps wide forward and on that I would defiantly take Ings.

Benteke is better than Austin but the issue you get with Benteke is that he probably wouldn't be happy unless he is first choice over Kane all the time, his fee would be very large and there are a lot of clubs after him. Austin would be cheaper and provide good competition and cover for Kane although I do share JDK JDK concern that he is primarily just a poacher.

Ings vs Rodriguez = I would take Ings.
Benteke vs Austin = Benteke would be better but Austin more realistic.

Back
Top Bottom