Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Except when he was managing Australia's youth program for seven years.

Well he was sacked after 7 years running the Australian U17 program. Couldn't advance and then had a really bad TV interview when someone questioned him harder than he liked.

Incorrect on both counts.

Postecoglou did not seek to renew his contract, he was not sacked. He had been in that job for as long as he felt he wanted to be and desired to move onto bigger roles in a senior setup.

If you actually know anything about Craig Foster, the guy 'interviewing' Postecoglou at that time, you would know that he is seen as a really good guy (was a decent football player too) but a bit of an idiot when it comes to football punditry. If you watched (and more importantly absorbed) the interview, Foster is bang out of order and misrepresents what Postecoglou told him about the failures of that team. In addition to this he proceeds to continually talk over him and refuses to let him answer the questions put to him. All this in addition to not having done his research. And if you know anything about our youth setup at the time Postecoglou was 100% correct.

Further to this, I am sure you also haven't noted that the same Craig Foster who got it so very wrong 20 years ago was one of the first people to publicly endorse Postecoglou for the Spurs job.

But I guess, much like Craig Foster in that interview 20 years ago, you did not do your research and did not know any of this.

Here is the interview.

And here is the same Craig Foster yesterday (noting again that he has not done his research :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
I don't think Mason's the type to do a Sherwood and try to cause shit for the manager, it would be quite a good education for him to learn under Postecoglou as well, and help implement his methods in the academy.

But I also think at some point Mason needs to get out and do some first team coaching somewhere to prove he can cope with the real pressure of a proper job, not one with little pressure like the job he's done for us.
Agreed. I also think Mason could be quite handy in Ange's staff as he's basically a Poch disciple - high energy pressing and demanding a lot of fitness from the players.

I dare say Ryan would have more fun than working under Mourinho and Conte.

In my experience someone is looking to smash the glass over your head & whatever is in the glass might be poisoned.
That explains a lot.

The thing is there are energy givers and energy takers. If you’re negative then you’re an energy taker. In the end people don’t want to be around that.

The woman is Mel McLaughlin, she's probably the Aussie equivalent to Laura Woods in the UK.

Confused Ryan Gosling GIF by SAG Awards

I have met her in real life. She is absolutely stunning and really lovely.

Ah, so not entirely like Laura Woods then.

anigif_sub-buzz-3518-1490227538-3.gif

Spurs faithful about to see first hand how a world class manager operates. Your club WILL CHANGE from top to bottom.
Congrats to Levy for having the foresight and big brass balls for giving Ange a go.
As for the spurs fans, you WILL ALL LOVE HIM !!!! 2 pressers in you will start to understand what he is going to cultivate.
Like I said you about to see a real world class manager at work.

Spurs faithful about to see first hand how a world class manager operates. Your club WILL CHANGE from top to bottom.
Congrats to Levy for having the foresight and big brass balls for giving Ange a go.
As for the spurs fans, you WILL ALL LOVE HIM !!!! 2 pressers in you will start to understand what he is going to cultivate.
Like I said you about to see a real world class manager at work.
it seems everyone who actually knows of him thinks that hes going to be a success. so we'll see if the step up really does mean something significant. or if a good manager is a good manager end of.

i like that he looks a bit of a throwback to a no nonsense manager. its exactly what this club needs imo. this club has been far too soft for far too long. it needs a mans man to come in and put his foot down.

I shouldn't have to keep saying this, it should be implied as I'm a spurs fan (and it's not aimed at you) but I want him to succeed. I do.

But I can't see him getting the whole season. The only hope he has, is if he really understands how much of a task he's got. He can't come here thinking he's made it. He's worked his way up and now he just has to keep doing what he's doing.
This is like going from a 5k jog to the marathon. A massive amount of work is needed, and he will need a plan b, c and d.

You carry on as though he only ever had one job. This guy has had to prove the doubters wrong for over two decades. He didn't just win a raffle and land the Celtic gig. People who know and understand football have been watching Postecoglou for a long time.

He's got 25 years plus experience and has succeeded everywhere he has been, except when managing at youth level where frankly, the system he was working in at the time was a bigger shitshow than Spurs is right now. He's never had big funds to spend and won the J League on a reduced budget. He won the A League with a team that went 36 matches unbeaten in a league with salary caps and a level financial playing field. City can't even do that with their bottomless well of oil money.

You clearly have no idea about the guy you are trashing so best you jog on until you learn a few things. He'll work harder to make a success of this than everybody at Spurs combined and if you think for one second that he will come in thinking he's "made it" then you know even less about this man than I thought.

Last edited:
it seems everyone who actually knows of him thinks that hes going to be a success. so we'll see if the step up really does mean something significant. or if a good manager is a good manager end of.

i like that he looks a bit of a throwback to a no nonsense manager. its exactly what this club needs imo. this club has been far too soft for far too long. it needs a mans man to come in and put his foot down.
Conte was a no nonsense manager, people accused him of overtraining the players.

Hello Spurs fans
I’m a Celtic fan and I’ve read this thread, mainly to see if any of you were ITK about Ange but a few comments need to be addressed.

A lot of you seem to be referencing Gerrard as a measure of success in Scotland. Gerrard won a single title and no cups in three seasons. It was 1 trophy out of 9 he competed for. He wasn’t a success, he was hyped up by his friends in the media because he’s Steven Gerrard. Ange won more than him in ten months. He’s currently on 4 trophies out of 5 with a cup final this weekend to make it 5 out of 6.

“Rangers have a bloke in charge that must have won a competition or something” is another comment that has stood out. After Gerrard left, Rangers appointed GVB who had won the league at Feyenoord… Isn’t that the same pedigree as the guy Slot you all wanted last week? He then took Rangers to a Europa league final 11 months ago.
This season we’ve won the league against a Rangers team that had over 90 points. A total that would have won the title 9 times out of 10. We did it by scoring a record number of goals. We beat them in a semi final and a cup final. As I said, they were in a Europa final… not a bad team you know, beating Dortmund, RB etc.

Rodger’s was a good manager who was up against incredibly poor competition. A Rangers side that had just returned to the league and had people like Mark Warburton I charge and Scottish players with no pedigree. His trebles do not compare to the one Ange is on the verge of winning and frankly his football was extremely boring for the most part and he had the personality and charisma of a dish cloth.

When Ange joined us we were also underwhelmed, our forums had splits down the middle too and we started the season really poorly going out of the CL to some Danish team and losing quite a few of our opening games but when it clicked, it clicked and I’ve watched some of the most exciting, dynamic and expansive football I’ve ever seen us play. The guy has a good ethos on how the game should be played which is quick, front foot, attacking football. It’s all about winning and winning playing the football he likes. He has no time for defensive, turgid approaches to games. We went into a game against Real Madrid with one pivot in the 6, two 8s, two wingers and inverted full backs. He has no fear and we love that. We play single pivot against everyone and we press really high up the pitch, 100 miles from the off with a lot of great rotations on each wing. We take quick free kicks, corners and throw ins. You can find a lot good examples of that play from these games:

I can understand your reservations although some of it does come across as slightly entitled but you’re a club that seems a bit lost, there’s no connection between fans, manager and players. You’ve had a lot of big time hires that haven’t worked out. This guy is probably exactly what you should be looking for. He really unites the team and the fans together, he’s a passionate guy with incredible presence. Our players will run through walls for him but they are also shit scared of him. He has no time for egomaniacs or primadonnas. He’ll weed them out fast.
Lastly, this man is a mentality monster. You are criticising his lack of pedigree. Wake up, do you know how difficult it is for a guy who’s managing in Australia to get noticed? There’s a bias towards managers from Europe or in Europe. The Morocco manager referenced it during the World Cup.
Ange has had no help, no leg up ala Gerrard, Lampard etc. He started off with Australia U17s and now he could become the first Australian to manage in the EPL. He rocked up at Celtic with not one member of staff. He backs himself like you wouldn’t believe and people follow this guy, he gets everyone on board. As for Levy, Ange is in charge of everything at Celtic. He does all the signings, he rejigged all the youth set up so now they all play the same tactics as the first team. He oversees the full project. We don’t have a DOF.

Absolutely desperate for him to stay at Celtic but I know the nature of the beast. We worship him like a God. I’ve never known a manager to be so in sync with the fans. We know Ange though and he’ll be very keen on being the first Aussie to manage in the EPL given everything he’s had to overcome to get here.

You guys obviously don't know what a massive cunt Levy is. Even the pro Levy crew know Ange won't control everything. Levy is a control freak and if he wants to buy 'club signings' like Harry Maguire , Ange will have to lump it.

Back
Top Bottom