Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

youd like to think hes shrewd enough to realise theres deep problems here and there must be issues with the players not being up to standard. you dont have to be a genius to see the likes of dier, sanchez and davies are nowhere near good enough. just look at the results weve had when them 3 or 2 of them have started....its terrifying!

these people are aware of the general consensus of the fan base now through social media etc.

that will be another tell too, hopefully some of the shit is shifted a few weeks after hes come in and seen them. gut that backline out and it makes a 30-40% difference! its that fucking atrocious
I hoped that was the case with Mourinho and Conte.
It took both of those two, too long to suss out some of the parasites and neither figured them all out. Seems Mason figured Dier out eventually.

People counting Udogie and Spence as Conte signings are in denial.
Same way counting Romero as a Conte signing.

If you count up the actual amount given to Conte on players for him to use and divide it by the number of windows he was at the club, it was far from the level of ambition needed for an elite-level coach like that.
Agree - I think if had committed for longer and been less adversarial, he may have been backed more but I suspect there was a reason he was so pissed off, so quickly and thats likely from not getting who he wanted (and he would have spoken to players first to ensure they wanted to join)

Unless we're getting humiliated every week, I wouldn't pull the plug after 6 games, but I do agree, you can generally tell if someone has a clue quite quickly.

What concerns me about all our under performing players, is they often do improve considerably when a new coach initially comes in. I don't want them pulling the wool over anyones eyes anymore only to drop back to their level after a new deal or we don't sign better players.

As for the Conte miracles. He took over a team that looked terrified every time they walked out on the pitch. 21/22 we won the first 3 games 1-0 with our only shot I think. Barely touched the ball and just got lucky goals on the break/penalty. When Conte came in, he had a couple of months getting the team sorted, brought 2 player in, then went on a run of games that would win a title over the course of the season. We were absolutely blowing teams away week in week out. And then the first 10 games of 22/23 saw us take more points than we ever have. With Dier. With Davies. With Royal under performing. With an off colour Son.

I think many fans have deemed Mourinho and Conte failures because they didn't come and win something. But IMO, this squad is so far away from winning things, that just finishing 6th and 4th were / would have been big successes. If Conte hadn't had his off field issues last season, I suspect he wouldn't have completely melted down and left. If he'd have stayed, I think 4th was on, worst case 5th. We ended up 8th. And I think a bad appointment could see worse, as we wouldn't have 23 points after 10 games.
The players were initially awed by Jose and Conte and responded in the beginning. Eventually they got psychologically fucked by Jose and Conte and forced to continue playing a style of football they didn't particularly like. Replace that with a manager that connects with players on a human level and plays the kind of football 99% of players enjoy playing and the turnaround will be much more permanent than you think.

I hoped that was the case with Mourinho and Conte.
It took both of those two, too long to suss out some of the parasites and neither figured them all out. Seems Mason figured Dier out eventually.
yep exactly! supposed to be football geniuses and they actually allow these incompetent cunts to drag us still to this day. mental.

one slight positive, is i do believe although most of our latest recruitments havent exactly set the world alight. they are far better talents than the likes of dier, davies and sanchez....so that is a slight positive.

the way football has evolved the back line need to be able to play, you cant get away with donkeys anymore.

Two things I can tell you about Postecoglou:

1) He has never been sacked and has never been broken.
2) He will absolutely walk away the moment he feels the Chairman and the club do not fully back him. He will probably do us all a favour and chin Levy on the way out.

He is a top class project manager, He also wins stuff (yes I know he hasn't managed at the very top level but let's look at how Conte and Mourinho worked out) by playing attractive football. I just hope people get behind him and give him some space and time to sort out this shitshow of a squad.
Except when he was managing Australia's youth program for seven years.
Two things I can tell you about Postecoglou:

1) He has never been sacked and has never been broken.
2) He will absolutely walk away the moment he feels the Chairman and the club do not fully back him. He will probably do us all a favour and chin Levy on the way out.

He is a top class project manager, He also wins stuff (yes I know he hasn't managed at the very top level but let's look at how Conte and Mourinho worked out) by playing attractive football. I just hope people get behind him and give him some space and time to sort out this shitshow of a squad.
Well he was sacked after 7 years running the Australian U17 program. Couldn't advance and then had a really bad TV interview when someone questioned him harder than he liked.

So if he doesn’t do well in Europe, he’s shit and even if he did do well, he’d still be shit.
If he did well, he’d prove he can mix with the big boys…? Like ten Hag did at Ajax. It’s not a guarantee a manager would be less shit, but I’d be more hopeful he can overachieve.

I absolutely am belittling what he's done. Scotland is an absolute joke of a league and no indication of how good a coach is winning trebles at Celtic.

There's 2 way to manage in Scotland and show you have something - do well (you don't have to win trebles, or anything) with a team that isn't 1 of the big 2 or make an impact in Europe.

None of this means he will definitely fail at Spurs. None of it means I want him to fail. I don't want anyone to fail. I want spurs to prosper, not toil.

I'm just sick of people thinking that anything he's done to date can be imported over to THFC in the Premier League and just continue. He's gonna have a shock to the system when he comes up against bottom half teams that can actually play and win.

Why is the only way to evaluate him based on the level of winning the only things available to him?

There are enough videos, podcasts, interviews, player testimonials, fan testimonials, breakdowns…The list goes on. The guy is far from secretive.

Clearly a great human with a great record of leading human beings wherever he’s been and also a very clear football philosophy that clearly matches what we all want

Not sure I see the risk just because he’s only coached in Scotland

Not who I wanted, but he’s my manager now and will get behind him fully.

I do like the way he speaks and hopefully his style of football translates to the premier league against much better opposition.

It’s a big job,but I think no European football could be a blessing for us next season and with it being likely that 5th place next season secures champions league football for 24/25 season we should be aiming for that.

[
I mean, Arteta was ex Woolwich player, ex City asssistant, ex Spain player, coached under Guardiola and oversaw multiple title and cup wins. I do think the jump to Woolwich was a big one, but I can see why it happened. He's had a decorated career in the tops leagues in Europe prior to that job. He was a risk and it didn't look like paying off. And let's be serious, this season could be a one season wonder yet. They could drop back off next season without a decent window IMO.

Di Zerbi took a club the size of Brighton to 2 top 8 finishes in Serie A. I think I would have seen the logic in that more than Ange tbh. Proof he can take a club to somewhere they've never been before. I don't care if I've heard of them, I just want evidence they can do it.
Youre basically making the arguement why arteta shouldnt have got the job.
Being a player, assistant is a massive, massive world apart from head honcho. Total difference.
Di zerbi did do well in serie A but with no pressure on him. With shaktar, theyre top 2 biggest club in ukraine. Its expected they do well. Had money to spend on south americans constantly

To dare is to didgeridoo

Fx4jNf4XgAAwUTu
You got the name wrong. Should be Tottenham Hopspur.

And? Theres one offs everywhere in competitions. Miraculous results are the exception. Plus lennons budget was greater than now!
Also we're not in europe and as i said before you do realise he wont have the celtic team playing it will be the spurs team
No it wasn’t. They spent 30m this season, 26m in 21/22 (Ange took over), 16m in 20/21, 20m in 19/20, 14.5m in 18/19 and 15m in 15/16. Anything in between these seasons was less than 15m.

In fact Postecoglou is the highest-spending manager in Celtic’s history.

Agree - I think if had committed for longer and been less adversarial, he may have been backed more but I suspect there was a reason he was so pissed off, so quickly and thats likely from not getting who he wanted (and he would have spoken to players first to ensure they wanted to join)

Absolutely.

Remember him being so sour and downplayed the season as soon as the transfer window shut.

Didn’t get what he wanted and was already losing interest.

Whether it would have been good for the club to get him what he demanded is another thing but he might have signed that contract in January,

Who cares now?? I don’t but really hope we don’t see the same pattern with Ange because he doesn’t seem like he pulls his punches either.

Soz, mate, here:

I'm sorry for being so elite and making you feel so insignificant, Miss Cretski, I'll try not to incinerate you in front of the whole forum, anymore.

There, fixed!

You've broken your post even more!

Never mind. You tried.

*pats head patronisingly*

I'm off to chat with actual spurs fans about our classy new manager now. Toodles, Tony Adams.

Back
Top Bottom